Author Topic: Correct Fasteners and headmarkings  (Read 122802 times)

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Correct Fasteners and headmarkings
« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2012, 05:00:51 AM »
These are now back in the car but the door hinges to door and pillar had three different bolt suppliers. All three I have seen in other cars but it seemed so odd to have three different suppliers in one car but...... ;D
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 31, 2012, 06:52:23 AM »
    Marty, great research here.  I have 4 bolts that are the bolts that attach the Fan to the Water Pump on a '67 standard LF7.  The head is similar to #25 except it has 6 hash marks, they are also same as NoYenko's post (bottom pic) except these are smaller size.  In the 67 AIM they are bolt #9425390, they are 5/16"-24 X 2 3/4" long
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

IZRSSS

« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2012, 03:42:14 PM »
FWIW...Not sure what we've gotten ourselves into but let's see if you guys agree with this format?  I honestly believe this is the only way accuracy for something as complicated as this can be maintained. I don't want to leave anything to chance. Think of it as trying to convince people like JohnZ, Kurt, Ed, Steve, JerryM, or any of the big kahunas that a particular fastener in a given location is correct... you are right, they are wrong ;) :) ;) and you have the ammo necessary to back it up. I think this is the level of attention that will be required. If you agree...then I think this is what we'll need;

1.   A minimum of three (3) vehicles will be used to confirm each fastener (part#), as specified by the AIM for each model year (Note: In most cases each screw is used in more than one location. Only one fastener photo for each PN is required). Head-mark variations for each PN can referenced here;
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9074.0
2.   Plant where the car was built
3.   Year & Month of vehicle build
4.   Photograph of each fastener (PN) showing dimensions/size, washer type (serrated, captured, shoulder/fixed), thread & end type (pinched/treaded), & finish (zinc, phosphate, etc.
5.   No fasteners w/o the above documentation will be allowed to confirm a given PN/fastener
6.   Fasteners will not be accepted for evaluation unless they are submitted exactly like the photograph below
7.   All fastener PN's will be listed at the beginning of the thread for reference & each year will have its own fastener PN thread
8.   If you cannot post photographs send them to; vsotero78@yahoo.com & I will post them for you
9.   I will assist w/the pics but someone else will have to keep track of all the fastener PN's per AIM's. My suggestion is one person for each year...

Please KIM...this will have to be a separate thread & cannot be included here. And, this is strictly preliminary and will not begin until everyone agrees...at least those who choose to participate. Again, please give your recommendations. And if there is an easier way I would certainly like to hear it...Thanks!

Chick & Steve - very similar to what you already suggested...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:12:08 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2012, 04:39:04 PM »
   Marty, great research here.  I have 4 bolts that are the bolts that attach the Fan to the Water Pump on a '67 standard LF7.  The head is similar to #25 except it has 6 hash marks, they are also same as NoYenko's post (bottom pic) except these are smaller size.  In the 67 AIM they are bolt #9425390, they are 5/16"-24 X 2 3/4" long

Thanks Mike!

Chick - Thanks for the door hinge screw pics!

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »
In a perfect world there would be old GM documents still around indicating fastener suppliers each year at each assembly plant.  I think the first step is to ID the manufacturer head marking along with details of car it was on (model year, plant, Fisher build week, survivor or partial restore or fully restored, p/n, size and finish and notes like captured washers, how many required versus how many found on the car, etc).  Not to say this is always the case, but I think there may be some newer fasteners/manufacturers that have been used on so many restorations that they are now assumed to be born-with correct.  And even on a survivor a bolt could have been replaced along the years.  Another obstacle is where do we find a definitive listing of fastener suppliers and all their head markings, especially from the late 1960s?  Once that's done you could look at the identified manufacturer and see if they pass the logic test (existed in 1967-69, used that logo in that period, were they a GM supplier at that period, where their plants were located, etc).  Would require contacting the manufacturers, and there will be gray areas such as suppliers no longer in business, suppliers that were acquired by another company since then, non responsive suppliers, or lack of old info, etc).  This will weed out some manufacturers.  Then add in the knowledge of 1960s GM suppliers from our experts who were there.  You'll still have variances due to the "bin of mixed vendor bolts" they had on the assembly lines, but I think patterns will emerge as far as specific manufacturers used and their proximity to the assembly plants.  For example, it seems like the ones we can already confirm were located in Ohio, Michigan, probably Illinois and maybe California.  Unless it's a special fastener I doubt you will confirm use of a fastener made in Maine or Texas, probably not even Canada from that period, and I suspect we may be down to fewer manufacturer's than the number of logos we currently have.     

IZRSSS

« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »
John - I hope you don't mind me asking; Does GM have any docs that you are aware of that indicates which vendors contracted/supplied fasteners during the First Gen run? If the answer is yes, can you please give us some assistance in acquiring this information? :) 

Russ - It is clear you have studdied this in great detail. Thanks for the insight with regards to the many obstacles we'll be faced with. It is far better to familiarize ourselves with each one now than after the fact. I am certain there will be others (obstacles) and now is the time to explore each one.

I certainly hope John can lend a hand. A Vendor list from GM would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Thanks again...

IZRSSS

« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2012, 09:17:33 PM »
Fastener HeadMark update...(green asterisks indicates confirmed factory HeadMarks. Red asterisks indicate nonfactory fasteners). If there are any discrepancies please let us know...

If you have a match for fasteners not yet confirmed or new headmarks please post pics or send them to my email address; vsotero78@yahoo.com.

Thanks again...

IZRSSS

« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2012, 09:18:21 PM »
Update cont'd...

IZRSSS

« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2012, 09:18:53 PM »
Update cont'd...

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
John - I hope you don't mind me asking; Does GM have any docs that you are aware of that indicates which vendors contracted/supplied fasteners during the First Gen run? If the answer is yes, can you please give us some assistance in acquiring this information? :) 

I'm not aware of anyone (or any group) at GM that would still have that information; that was primarily Purchasing info, and anyone who was there 45 years ago has long-since retired. Between that and the 20-some GM reorganizations since 1985, that kind of information has been lost to history.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2012, 01:16:13 AM »
Marty,
  Do you want me to re-post when you get a new format started?  My car is a 11 A (66) LOS build coupe, I think that was the only info. I didn't inlude.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

IZRSSS

« Reply #146 on: February 01, 2012, 03:29:56 AM »
Mike - absolutely! I'm hoping that everyone who has contributed to this thread will do the same for the next phase of this study. Give us some time to ponder our options/format for the next thread. I think Russ has expressed some great ideas and I look forward to hearing more. If you have some ideas of your own, please don't hesitate to fill us in.

Please remember...the information collected for this new format will not be included in this thread. We will begin a whole new topic/thread for this purpose. I hope that makes sense...

Thanks again!

IZRSSS

« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »
Discussion for the new thread (IF IT HAPPENS) moved here...http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9130.0

IZRSSS

« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2012, 07:26:12 PM »

I'm not aware of anyone (or any group) at GM that would still have that information; that was primarily Purchasing info, and anyone who was there 45 years ago has long-since retired. Between that and the 20-some GM reorganizations since 1985, that kind of information has been lost to history.

I was afraid of that...Thanks anyway!

IZRSSS

« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2012, 09:29:06 PM »
John & Kurt - here is a list of headmarks that were mentioned earlier in this tread. With the help of several members we have managed to confirm a few which are highlighted in green; TR, UR, RBW, RSC, E, EL, F, AD, D, WB, L, LS, LE, C, M, Anchor & stylized F. Are there any others in the charts you can add to the green list? And, are there any you recognize that should not be green or listed as confirmed?

Thanks!

anything