Author Topic: Crazy ads  (Read 12981 times)

JWD

• View Profile
Crazy ads
« on: November 15, 2011, 12:25:10 AM »
I've been looking for a 69 Z-28 for quite a while. In the last few months, I've answered several ads for 100% original, documented cars. However, when I request a picture of the engine pad and the data plate, all communications stop immediately. I can only assume that these cars were frauds. There are more fake Z-28's out there than there are fake big block Corvettes. Oh well, I suppose part of the fun is in the hunt but this is getting frustrating.
I recently found the perfect car but when I tried to buy it, the "seller" would only go through E-Bay and have the car shipped to me. I told him "I'll be there tomorrow morning with a car trailer and CASH". He refused my offer. ::)

Jim

restore-z28

• View Profile
Re: Crazy ads
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 03:41:29 AM »
Jim, there are very few real and documented Z28's out there, lots of fake cars and fake paperwork. You will eventually come across the perfect car unfortunately it will take a little time and effort. Best of luck in your hunt.
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
Go look for a REAL BLACK RS/Z28 and then you will get an idea of the number of highend collectors who have been taken for a RIDE!!! The number of clones has actually hurt the price of the real ones.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 02:12:34 PM »
The real fun is getting something questionable at a fair price and then with homework and CRG finding out it is real. With this site and Jerry,s books and others you might not be able to prove what it is but you can prove what it is not.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

JWD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 02:21:52 AM »
Go look for a REAL BLACK RS/Z28 and then you will get an idea of the number of highend collectors who have been taken for a RIDE!!! The number of clones has actually hurt the price of the real ones.

Is this one a fake? http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/2698741718.html

jl8dale

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 02:56:20 AM »
Beautiful car, but the tag is fake as the day is long!
1969 Z/28 Daytona Yellow/Yellow Houndstooth, Tilt, Fold Down Seat, - POP

jl8dale

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 03:08:02 AM »
The ad says "factory correct Tuxedo Black car" so there is an admittance of a color change.

The "Ford Caution Sticker" doesn't help things either but there are some real nice things about this car including a real Rosewood wheel, exhaust system, and rear fold down seat.

The tag kills the resale and you would be better off with the old tag with the wrong color painted....if it was a real z in the first place.

JWD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 03:20:47 AM »
What are the issues with the tag? I need to know what to look for. Thanks.

jl8dale

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 03:26:46 AM »
We don't discuss specific tag issues on the board but feel free to post any tag pic of any future cars that you are looking for and you will get good advice here.

Are you looking for a specific color?

Restored, survivor, or project?

JWD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 03:32:52 AM »
Why the secrecy? This kind of info. is available all over the internet regarding Corvette tags. I compared the above tag to the ones in Jerry's book and they look identical.

jl8dale

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 03:39:03 AM »
We don't give details so as not to help the people making these tags.

That's pretty standard for this board. Maybe you can find other information on the internet but it doesn't change the fact that that tag is a reproduction.

That car would be at least twice that price if it was real so that should be a hint also.

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 03:39:31 AM »
JWD - Good advise from jl8dale! Any time you hear or read the word/words, "Correct" or "Date Correct" referencing an "Original Car"...RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK! Here are the sellers own words with regards to the engine; "Correct 302-290 HP DZ engine". Also, when someone is trying to sell a Original high end First Gen, he or she will go to great lengths to show the important numbers ie; VIN, engine, transmission, and rear.

Why the secrecy? This kind of info. is available all over the internet regarding Corvette tags. I compared the above tag to the ones in Jerry's book and they look identical.

If you still have questions, contact the seller and have him send you the pics of the above numbers and you'll see what I mean. They won't even come close to matching the cars Vin.

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 01:32:15 PM »

You are 100% correct James, If someone kept stats on the most cloned color for '69 Z's; Tuxedo black would be in the top 2 for sure...
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

JWD

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 02:00:01 AM »
We don't give details so as not to help the people making these tags.

That's pretty standard for this board. Maybe you can find other information on the internet but it doesn't change the fact that that tag is a reproduction.

That car would be at least twice that price if it was real so that should be a hint also.

I guess I don't understand the stance of the Camaro group. Having owned/restored many numbers matching solid axle and mid year Corvettes (including rare BB cars) that have sold for $150K+, I know what to look for regarding them. In fact, if you post any piece of data regarding any one of them, you'll not only get "opinions" but you'll get WHY it is correct or not. NO SECRETS. To come here and ask a question and have someone give their OPINION without the facts to back it up means absolutely nothing. The"Trust me, I know everything" attitude is B.S.
JohnZ is on all the Corvette sites as well as here and doesn't seem to hide behind some "secrecy certain". He gives FACTS about them. Maybe that attitude should spread to the others here.
Maybe I'll stick to Corvettes, 66-67 L-79 Novas and 70 LS-6 Chevelles and forget about a Z-28. Those folks are more than willing to share information. 

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 02:45:36 AM »
I'll give you a specific on the one from the Criags List ad... D80 was not indicated on the Cowl Tag at the time the car was produced 03D, so since it isn't supposed to be there it is a fake.

CRAIGS LIST FAKE TAG

REAL 10 10 X33

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa