Author Topic: Whats better, trailer queens or street machines?  (Read 6820 times)

huggerorange

• View Profile
Whats better, trailer queens or street machines?
« on: October 11, 2011, 03:55:40 PM »
I'm selling a car on another thread, and an interesting subject has been raised. So what do the experts think? Is the best camaro one thats driven and enjoyed, or one thats preserved and shown?

IZRSSS

Re: Whats better, trailer queens or street machines?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »
One of each.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 04:17:14 PM »
Driven and enjoyed, life is now!    :)

I know of many beautiful cars that will never see the road again, what a shame.    :(

Paul

huggerorange

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 04:44:59 PM »
I like the way ya'll think! The best camaros are the ones you see at the drag strip. I saw this 69 yenko camaro once (I heard it before I saw it), faded gold paint with slotted mags, only one seat and rubber all the way up to the body line behind the rear wheels. Open exhaust and it had this pin-on fiberglass hood, probably a little lighter than a dorito. Bitchin!!

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »
What is"better"?
I'm going to agree with Marty on this one!
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 06:05:03 PM »
I like the way ya'll think! The best camaros are the ones you see at the drag strip. I saw this 69 yenko camaro once (I heard it before I saw it), faded gold paint with slotted mags, only one seat and rubber all the way up to the body line behind the rear wheels. Open exhaust and it had this pin-on fiberglass hood, probably a little lighter than a dorito. Bitchin!!

I agree with driving and enjoying a numbers matching Camaro. However, I don't agree with making it a daily driver and I certainly don't agree with driving the crap out of it at a local drag strip. On the other hand, If I had a non numbers matching Camaro and an unlimited bank account, I would stick the same drive train type you did in yours and drive it like I stole it.

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:54:49 PM »
I agree with marty,I need to find a car that I can drive whenever I feel like it & not worry to much!
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 11:43:19 PM »
I like both, but for me I don't drive mine on wet roads or when it might rain, or for transportation - I have other vehicles for that.  It's too much work to clean one up for a show after driving it in the rain, and while I don't expect to win at shows I do like the car to at least be in the running somewhat.
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 02:38:31 AM »
It's funny. This is a topic of perspective. Opinions are as varied as the offerers are.

The best is a restored (Stock or Day 2) that is enjoyed to the fullest by the owner. Wether shown or driven hard they do need to be utilized in a manner that fulfills the owners vision. We are mearly cartakers for the time being, until the next lucky SOB get his (or Her) turn to honor the MUSCLE car.

The part of this which might vear off topic is the other extreme, a project car that languishes for decades or a oxygen deprived garage dweller that is raerly driven,,,,

Personally, I have taken to drag racing my show car on friday night test n tunes and 10 years ago I would have had a heart attach at such antics...

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

69glacierblue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 03:05:43 AM »
Got to admit I drive mine only if the weather is nice.  Every once in a while I still help em stripe the road around here but my backside does pucker a little more than it used to as it's a born-with and (99% sure) non-rebuilt motor!  Stupid does = FUN!

I'm glad we get to appreciate all of them...from the beaters to the queens!
Dennis
'69 SS350 Vert (X55) 4-sp.
'10 2SSRS RJT M6

huggerorange

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 03:58:33 AM »
Your responses are very refreshing. I agree with all of you. Sometimes when reading these boards, I've been of the opinion that there are a bunch of trailer queens on here. You know, a bunch of folks who's appreciation for classic musclecars ends with a down-tick in their car's market value. Im glad to see thats not the case. And to clarify, that yenko I saw at the drag strip was maybe 25 years ago. I appreciate a copo's drag racing heritage. They're sought after today partially because guys like us took them to the track and drove the crap out of them back in the day. I've never had mine down the track, but I do appreciate the fact that it would do well. Thats what it was conceived for. I've put about 1,000 miles on my camaro since I got it running 2 years ago, occasionally to work on a friday but mostly on weekends if the weather's nice.   

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 10:56:09 AM »
It has been a while since we visited this issue, but look at this:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=692.0
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

paulsstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 12:27:30 AM »
 I like the idea of having both. I am just finishing a '68 plain jane coupe. Was a six-cylinder powerglide car with 84,000 miles on it. I bought it for $7500 and drove it for three years before tearing it down this year. Should be complete in a few weeks. Put in a 350/290hp crate motor I got new at a GM dealership liquidation. Did all the mechanicals myself, and have my friends body shop doing the body and paint. Doing it in the new Camaro Synergy Green. Original interior is mint other than the carpet I replaced. When it's all said and done I should be around $17,500 in the car, including the purchsae price. This car will get driven most days weather permitting.

I also have a '69 SS that I want to do a prper frame off. Being an original documented SS I want it done properly.

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 02:16:07 AM »
Some should definitely be saved/preserved in my opinion, but mainly the original low mile cars. If they are restored then I really don't see a reason to put them in a corner, they can always be restored again so what's the big deal. If you are worried about damaging  your power train pull it an put it in the corner. I do however prefer to drive them on nice days simple because they are more enjoyable. The muscle ones were built to be beat on. I by far prefer a day 2 or even a super stock level car over a perfect resto, but others prefer the opposite. To each their own, but it's a lot more fun roasting hyde than polishing fenders, but that's just me.

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
This is a trick question right?

My idea of a trailer queen is a car that never drives, never see dirt, dust rain, or the out of doors barely. With that said I don't think there are that many Trailer queens kicking around. I agree that if a car is truely rare, everything should be done to preserve its history, Low milage, rare option cars, Copo's etc. I am sure that if I spent a fortune on a car I would have a hard time driving as I would be afraid to devalue my investment. However I am proud of all the guys with those type of cars that drive them, race them, show them and enjoy them. I am overly concerned about my car and it is a nothing special clone driver! Cheers to those who drive 'em like they stole 'em!
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

anything