Author Topic: 69 PAINT COLOR INTRODUCTION  (Read 2371 times)

DONCZ28

• View Profile
69 PAINT COLOR INTRODUCTION
« on: November 01, 2011, 01:33:39 AM »
Were all 69 paint colors available the first of the production year?    If not , what month was each color introduced?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69 PAINT COLOR INTRODUCTION
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 02:28:34 AM »
That's a good question. Chevy sales info for '69 is unclear on certain colors.

Probably the earliest source of sales information generated was the Showroom Album. All of the standard Camaro colors are listed but several are noted "check availability before ordering." Those were 10 Tuxedo Black, 40 Butternut Yellow, 51 Dusk Blue, 61 Burnished Brown, 63 Champagne, 67 Burgundy. Later sales info omits 10, 40, & 63 but lists all others with nothing noted.

However black cars were built at both plants from the start of production; some are 10 10 some are - - paint codes. Black later [Jan 1?] became an RPO [regular production option] extra-cost color: $12.65.

At some point 40 and 63 became RPO colors. I recall seeing a notation that 63 was always RPO at Van Nuys. All of the 40 cars I know of were built after January 1 at either plant; 63 seems to be the same at Norwood.

To answer your question the only colors that MAY not have been available at '69 production start up were 40 & 63.

Learning more and more about less and less...

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: 69 PAINT COLOR INTRODUCTION
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:57:09 PM »
The database has a few early (Sept-Nov) 40 and 63 cars, but most are after Jan. Same with the other colors (including black), but more starting in Nov/Dec.
Realize all these colors are lower volume, so there's some sampling error here - it appears all were available, but not widely available until a few months into production. Whether that was due to the sales literature note or due to the zones kicking back the orders, I don't know.
Kurt S
CRG

anything