Author Topic: Marshall Robbins - Carl Shafer  (Read 41377 times)

wolfmin

• View Profile
Re: Marshall Robbins - Carl Shafer
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 01:39:39 AM »
Robert,

Jerry still has the car. In fact, Max drove it for a couple of years in regionals and nationals in 1988 and 1989.

Mike J.

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 01:56:33 AM »
Nice to hear that - can't imagine that too many guys who raced still have their original cars.  My first two 1st generation cars are long gone, although the ex Dick Hoffman 71 car is still alive - last I heard it was listed for sale with Dale Phelon Racing.

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 02:07:19 AM »
Here's a Valvoline ad with the Camaro, as driven by Bill Petree.

Jon Mello
CRG

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 01:17:15 AM »
Here's a Valvoline ad with the Camaro, as driven by Bill Petree.

Fantastic!  How do you find these things?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 06:55:28 PM »
Well... I've got a lot of old magazines, which I guess I'm glad I held on to because I'm getting good use out of them now.
Jon Mello
CRG

redvetracr

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2012, 12:44:06 PM »
Yes...it was parted out.  Vern Brown  of Verona, Wisconsin purchased the remains...  How did you end up with the Koni's?

I purchased them from Corvette racer Howard Nardick after seeing his ad for them on a Camaro website. I'm not sure how he got them but he said they came off of the Shafer/Dunbar Camaro.
Bill Keefe from Keefe Performance in the Phoenix area has the car now.  He has Vern's Corvette too...and my Corvette.

actually Mike he doesn`t, the firewall back body went to a Madison area junk yard along with the title, Vern Brown will confirm this as he`s the one who sold it for scrap, Vern will also confirm billy keefe/okeefe swiped Vern`s extensive scrap book his wife Joyce (now ex wife) kept, billy promised to return it but never did. I bought all the wheels off the car and a ti distributor. the Koni`s came from the Blackhawk farms/Ray Irwin garage sale, Ray told me he got them from Jerry Dunbar................HN

redvetracr

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »
Mike don`t forget he has Dittman`s second Corvette although he cut the cage off and then into bite size pieces. HN

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2012, 04:35:36 AM »
Great information, Howard. Thanks for your input.
Jon Mello
CRG

wolfmin

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 09:44:51 PM »
Keefe did say he got the car at a junk yard in Wisconsin.

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 02:37:08 AM »
Bill does have the remains of the body/chassis/cage, which he retrieved from the junk yard where Vern sold it.  He also has a fair amount of odds and ends/pieces from the car.   All of the various pieces of the car that Bill has in his possession are still stored locally (in Northern IL).  The Koni shocks were still mounted on the car when it went to Vern, so if Howard purchased them from Ray, then Ray acquired them from Vern...which is possible.  If I saw them (or a picture), and if they are still in original condition, I would likely know if they are the shocks that came off our 69 Camaro.  There never was a "title" for the car.  It was never "titled" - as the Greenwoods acquired the chassis directly from the GM tech center when the car was originally constructed....

Ray Irwin did purchase our later 1991 Camaro, as well as all the spares for the '91 Camaro.  We used both Koni and Penske shocks on the '91 Camaro and both sets went with the car.

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »
This video was on the History Channel recently.  This is part 2 of 3 from a You Tube video of a science video discussing collisions in outer space...  Oddly enough, at the 13min 44 sec. mark, there is a short video clip of the crash that destroyed the Camaro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWgVVl1R2A&feature=youtu.be

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2012, 05:07:01 AM »
That's quite a collision.  For convenience, here is a link that takes you directly to the 13:44 mark in the above video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWgVVl1R2A&feature=player_detailpage#t=824s

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
Wow, that's quite an impact. Thanks for posting.
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 12:32:07 AM »
Hell of an impact!!! WOW!!!   I can't pause it well enough to tell......did he strike another car or is that just armco and a tree???

klvn8r

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »
Hell of an impact!!! WOW!!!   I can't pause it well enough to tell......did he strike another car or is that just armco and a tree???

klvn8r

Mickey Agee in his Corvette had already hit the guardrail and flipped upside down, landing parallel to the guardrail.  My dad went in backwards into the drivers side of the Corvette, driving both thru the guardrail, then spun around 180 and hit a tree head on, raising the rear of the Camaro about 5 feet high.  Mickey suffered a badly broken ankle, (along with other less severe injuries) requiring it to be fused during surgery.  Incredibly lucky he wasn't more severely injured.   My dad broke his right hand on the gear shift knob, and had his gall bladder "flip" (from the tree impact), requiring it to be removal...

I have film, transferred to DVD, of the entire accident, starting with Jim Fitzgerald sliding off the track...  Eighteen cars were involved, most  of them were destroyed...