Author Topic: 1969 Z/28 Rear Spring Holders  (Read 3714 times)

Vince

• View Profile
1969 Z/28 Rear Spring Holders
« on: August 07, 2011, 02:22:23 AM »
I don't know the correct term for this part of the rear springs.  It is the plate right at the bottom of the leafs with 4 bolts in it that holds the springs to the axle, also where the rear shocks attach.  Did these originally come from the factory on '69 Z/28's about the same width as the leaf springs, maybe a little wider?  That is all I have ever seen.  My '69 Z/28 has these with an extra length facing toward the rear end with 2 holes in the extra length.  I tried to show what mine look like in the photos.  I have never seen these before on any other '69 Camaro.  Does anyone have any idea what this extra width and set of holes were for and if this type of spring holder did come as original on '69 Z/28's?  Thank you. 

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Z/28 Rear Spring Holders
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 04:01:18 AM »
Those are replacement mounting plates that were being sold for a long time until the "correct" ones were available.

Here's the "correct" one for the LEFT, and here's the "correct" one for the RIGHT.

(I say "correct" because originals weren't laser cut, so I really don't know how "correct" they are.)

Looks like you're also missing your PARKING BRAKE CABLE BRACKETS.

Ed
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:40:22 AM by bertfam »

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 04:30:48 PM »
Those are the generic GMPD service replacement rear spring anchors #330263 & 330264; OE for '70-up F & X bodies. The extra holes are for rear sway bar brackets; '68-'69 anchors did not have the tab with the holes. When we had the parts business I took many of those to my day job to cut off the tabs on the Maintenance Dept band saw.

Are the axle U-bolts there? One per side. They come in handy when the welds on the spring perch break.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:28:18 PM »
Thanks Ed and William.  Mystery (at least to me) solved.  I'll look into the parking brake cable brackets.  I do have the U-bolts there which is good news. 

anything