Author Topic: Glass Cleaner  (Read 6223 times)

IZRSSS

Glass Cleaner
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:56:22 PM »
This is probably pretty trivial to most of you but this is one of my biggest pet peeves. I think I've tried just about every conceivable glass cleaner on the market. None of them left my glass free of streaks and smudges, especially on old glass like mine. I think one of the problems is all the detailing chemicals I use that eventually makes its way onto the glass. We'll I think I may have found something I'll stick with. I checked on-line for homemade glass cleaners. This is what I found & it is also the best cleaner I have used to date, not to mention the least expensive;

1/4 cup of vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of liquid soap
2 cups of water
Mix it up & your good to go

If any of you have had good luck with other homemade concoction's or otherwise, please let us know.

Thanx

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Glass Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 01:17:03 AM »
I'll have to give that a try Marty as is surely don't cost much ;D
I've been using Stoner's glass cleaner for years and never found that to smudge like the windex and such. My wife even started using it several years ago along with micro fiber towels.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 01:26:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip! I just went through the frustration today preparing for an upcoming concours. I ended up just using rubbing alcohol, but it is definitely lacking. Boy, the inside of the back window is a killer! Thanks again!
Bob

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 01:35:13 AM »
Been using Sprayway glass cleaner for years. Glass shop owners I know use it also. Vinegar solutions have been a home brewed recipe for a long time.

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 02:11:33 AM »
Thanx for the tip Chick & Scott. I'll keep those in mind.

Bob...I have used alcohol & water for years. Trust me, the stuff up top is much better. And yep, thirty yrs ago my body had no trouble turning into a pretzel, not anymore. BTW, I think you are one time zone away from me. Where abouts is the show?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 02:39:22 AM »
Marty,
Your recipe looks good!  The vinegar is acetic, so it would cut road grime, etc. and the soap would degrease.
I use diluted chrome polish.  It works great.  Of course, it dries white like wax, but it is easy to see and buffs right off.
Equally important is what you use for a wipe.  Newsprint (preferably without ink) works great.  We got a couple of "end" rolls from our local newspaper several years ago for free.  I figure they would charge you for them now.

And Bob, how true! First Gen back windows are hard to clean!!!

Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 02:45:59 AM »
Thanx for the tip Chick & Scott. I'll keep those in mind.

Bob...I have used alcohol & water for years. Trust me, the stuff up top is much better. And yep, thirty yrs ago my body had no trouble turning into a pretzel, not anymore. BTW, I think you are one time zone away from me. Where abouts is the show?
Its the Monterey Car Week. Lots of activities including the Historic Races. I'm preparing for the Concours on the Avenue in Carmel on the 16th. Marty, I can sure relate to the thirty years ago!
Bob

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 02:59:26 AM »
Phillip...where you bean??? Good to here from you. Hope everything is going well! I like your recipe as well. It reminds me of what I use on tires...1/4 cup of liquid wax & 2 cups of natural shine protectant. Wipe it on...let dry...buff. Thanx

Good luck w/the show Bob!

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 03:01:45 AM »
Marty,

I'm fine! Sending you a PM...

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 02:37:56 PM »
I started using Stoner's "Invisible Glass" about five years ago, and since my wife took a can and tried it, now we both use it; haven't used anything else since then.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 07:29:42 PM »
Phillip...where you bean??? Good to here from you. Hope everything is going well! I like your recipe as well. It reminds me of what I use on tires...1/4 cup of liquid wax & 2 cups of natural shine protectant. Wipe it on...let dry...buff. Thanx

Any brand of wax and protectant?  Easy to buff?

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 02:02:49 AM »
Marty thanks for the home brew recipe of window cleaner. And thanks to everyone else for sharing some of your tips and tricks.
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 02:30:53 AM »

Any brand of wax and protectant?  Easy to buff?

Just about any brand of liquid wax will work. I use Mcgr's Natural Shine. I have used  Mcgr's (diluted it 2 to 1 w/H20 ) for years but a guy I met at a Santa Fe show  told me about the L-wax. Simply hand buff for a few seconds. The wax seems to give the rubber just a little more shine.

Stoner's is sounding better by the minute...

Your welcome Sonny.

anything