Author Topic: Muncie rebuild - need info for which MFG to go with  (Read 3994 times)

GI JOE

• View Profile
Muncie rebuild - need info for which MFG to go with
« on: August 01, 2011, 05:25:49 AM »
Can any of my Camaro Brothers and or sisters tell me the good, the bad and the ugly of their experiences with the Muncie rebuilds kits, after market gears, bearings, etc.???  I have rebuilt them in the past when a whole lot of GM stuff was still easily available.  Now I do not know.  I see that gears are made in Italy, and somewhere else and I just want to do it right the first time. So any advice you can suggest is greatly appreciated.  Thanks much.

GI Joe
SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Muncie rebuild - need info for which MFG to go with
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:38:55 AM »
Hi Joe,
Doing searches on camaro.net I found that Jody's Transmissions had helped a lot of people so I contacted him and great guy. I purchased my rebuild kit from him. Give him a call and he can explain about the kit he sells. Also, you give him a call and he will help a member out with a rebuild problem or some how to questions. That's nice to know and have. One example about synchronizers; they only use forged synchro's, not like most of the eBay Muncie kits that use cast synchro's. Here is his contact information:
Jody Haag
JodysTransmissions@verizon.net
610-682-1602

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 02:17:42 PM »
Paul at 5speeds.com is the guy I use.  He has all the "better" parts and tools for these Muncies.  Be sure to ask him for the correct pilot bushing while you are at it. It seems all you can find these days are the "wrong" ones. The "right" ones (non-magnetic) are getting hard to find from local sources.  Paul has written books and sells videos on transmissions and rebuilding them.  I just finished my M-21 myself and it came out perfect.

www.5speeds.com

-Mark.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 03:47:32 PM »
Danny,s Transmissions in Greensboro, NC is good. He has done several for me. He will trade if you don,t need matching #s. If you need his contact let me know.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

ScottJon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 03:41:16 AM »
http://www.midwestmuncie.com/

i used Midwest Muncie, i can't say enough good things about these guys, super honest and knowledgeable
Happy 1969 Z28 owner guardian