Author Topic: Websites that might be of interest to us  (Read 102016 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Websites that might be of interest to us
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2019, 03:33:16 PM »
Besides the wonderful Revs Institute Digital Photo Library ( https://library.revsinstitute.org/digital/ ), we now have another large photographic resource available.  This one is the digitization of the old Petersen Publishing Archives and what a huge and valuable resource that is.  It will be an ongoing effort but there is a large amount of photos online now with lots more coming.  Most of it is 1968 and later at this point in time.  There is a search window at the link below. If you type in, for example, Mission Bell 250, you will see some awesome photos from the classic Riverside Trans-Am races.  Be prepared to spend countless hours looking through what is there.

https://archive.petersen.org/pages/home.php
Jon Mello
CRG

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2019, 05:47:19 PM »
Have you ever had any success with a "Request resource" for a Hi Res version from them (Peterson)?

that 68RS Z engine shot has a lot of great details to offer.

JIM
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2019, 01:11:27 AM »
Nick

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2019, 01:16:57 AM »
I also sent a request for the other engine shot. Let's see what happens.
Nick

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2019, 03:52:03 PM »
Have you ever had any success with a "Request resource" for a Hi Res version from them (Peterson)?

that 68RS Z engine shot has a lot of great details to offer.

JIM

I have not yet purchased any photo from the Petersen Archives via the website.  A couple of years ago I bought quite a few photos from the archives via Thomas Voehringer at TEN: The Enthusiast Network.  They were 6.5"x10" or 10"x10" prints (depending on layout) in hi-res on photo paper and mailed to my house.  I was very pleased.
Jon Mello
CRG

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2019, 04:06:00 PM »
Good Feedback, I will order the 68RS Z engine bay photo

(HINT I see the alt bracket mounted to the back side -vs- assy manual diagram config)

JIM
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2019, 05:10:54 AM »
Greetings,

Some things learned for using the new Petersen Publishing/SEMA archives to share. For conducting a 'shotgun' search for simply typing in '1970 SCCA', I discovered some period Trans Am races are classified under 'Trans Am', while others are classified under 'Trans American'. What this means is that if you search for material using 'Trans Am 1970' you'll come up the Road America images but miss the substantial sweep of Laguna Seca as well as Riverside material otherwise accessible for use of this valued online archive. Type in 'Trans American 1970', and you'll likely miss the Road America race meet photos. 

Oh - for checking, it seems only the 1970 season is so effected for no other results are generated for typing in 'Trans American' and turning up content from other years.  All the same, be certain to try 'Trans American' as it would be a pity to miss was is availed thus.

Mike K./Swede70

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2019, 04:22:36 AM »
Good tip, Mike.  Thanks for posting it.
Jon Mello
CRG

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2019, 07:07:18 PM »
I found that it is best to search by using the name of the track because there are so many photos that are mislabeled.  I found hundreds of pictures of Trans Am races that are labeled NASCAR, NHRA, INDYCAR, etc. etc.  It might take longer but you will be able to see all the pictures that are labeled from a particular track.  This is also not fool proof because sometimes the tracks are misidentified. 
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2019, 01:59:22 AM »
Thanks, Scott.  I noticed many misidentified photos also.  For example, when I did a search for "1968 Riverside Trans" it also included some photos that are from Bonneville and the Santa Barbara Airport road races.  After that, I decided to click on the category named 1960s.  Even though it came up with over 900 pages I went through them all, but not in one night.
Jon Mello
CRG

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2019, 04:53:46 AM »
Even though it came up with over 900 pages I went through them all, but not in one night.
LOL Yes Jon, let us please not lose you to the internet. We want you to come back at some point.  ;D
Nick

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2019, 03:56:29 PM »
Greetings,

This would be another online photo resource to know about, it being the Motorsport Archive.  For first use you'll be underwhelmed for the sheer weight of contemporary images filtering back, although for further application and tuning better period images (a few anyways!) can be accessed thus.  Something to know about then.  See: 

https://www.motorsportimages.com/corporate/archive/

Mike K./Swede70

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2019, 01:42:15 AM »
Greetings,

This would be a Super 8 film taken by Peg and Ralph Gilman at the '70 Lime Rock, Bryar as well as Watkins Glen Trans-Am events.   Edited then given I was in some infathomable rush to post such!  I didn't recall seeing the footage before, hence I'm thinking it might be new to those visiting here.  Certainly the print is clear and crisp, while more often than not the image is steady and well-focused besides.  Do consider examining the following then to witness much you'd otherwise only read about or seen in stills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P3Fn6rnN9M

Mike Kotwick
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 03:26:10 AM by Swede70 »

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2019, 02:51:04 AM »
Cool color footage of Lime Rock, Bryar and Watkins Glen.  Thanks for posting the link.
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2019, 07:03:38 AM »
...oh, and another discovery and apparently just uploaded.  Super 8 footage of the hard fought '68 Meadowdale Trans-Am contest as posted by Greg Doerr.  Accessible via:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltof03Knlm0

Mike K./Swede70

anything