Author Topic: Websites that might be of interest to us  (Read 101534 times)

Swede70

• View Profile
Re: Websites that might be of interest to us
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2019, 01:29:02 AM »
Further greetings and salutations...

Just hunting around with the vague goal of establishing if Roger Penske's first wife was spelled either 'Lisa' or 'Lissa' (it was the latter do know), I came across an old profile of him found within the pages of Sports Illustrated that was a bit more detailed than expected.  If one was doing a biographical work, review and inclusion of such would be essential. 

Consistent with getting into Roger's head and understanding the clockwork mechanism operating within that skull, said article from 1963 teamed with the 1968 Leon Mandel-penned article found within the pages of Car & Driver titled 'Penske: The Very Model of a Modern Major General' and accessible here on the CRG are well worth reading.  The totality of his career would likely overwhelm this writer, although I do enjoy early treatments consistent with better appreciating who he is and how he thinks.  Others might be like-inclined, hence my post.

Although predating his latter role as team owner active across multiple series, the peculiar intensity of focus and atypical habits of framing the challenges specific to motorsports unquestionably comes across strongly.  I believe it would be mistake to skip reading such if one wishes to understand 'The Captain' and the critical orbit Mark Donohue (and others) existed within.  Peruse then 'What Makes Roger Race':

https://www.si.com/vault/1963/03/25/606271/what-makes-roger-race

...while if you haven't read the L. Mandel-penned C & D article in recent times, follow the internal link to reinforce and expand upon impressions made via:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9350.msg67013#msg67013

Mike K./Swede70

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2019, 01:31:11 AM »
Very interesting and enlightening read, Mike.  Thanks for posting.
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2019, 07:09:35 AM »
Michael has restored and vintage-raced many old Trans- Am cars - see Maeco Motorsports.
Haven't seen him lately so don't know what he is doing now.

Robert

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2019, 04:09:22 PM »
Greetings,

As time and the generations pass, the ranks of those involved during the series heyday continues to thin.  I regret to report that John Martin has passed, best known here for his involvement with the Ronnie Kaplan/Javelin Racing Team effort from it's inception until late in the '69 season.  See the link:

https://racer.com/2019/11/21/indycar-veteran-john-martin-dies-at-age-80/

Mike K./Swede70

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2019, 05:51:55 AM »
Sorry to hear of John's passing and my condolences to his wife.  He was a skilled racer.  Thanks for posting this, Mike.
Jon Mello
CRG

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2019, 02:03:53 PM »
Michael has restored and vintage-raced many old Trans- Am cars - see Maeco Motorsports.
Haven't seen him lately so don't know what he is doing now.

Robert

Mike Eisenberg's old shop in Nothridge, Ca. was abuzz during the late 1980s-2000s. I have known Mike for over 30 years…a good guy. I heard he recently moved his operation to Oregon.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2019, 07:42:42 AM »
Hello again,

News is that Horst Kwech has passed.  Shelby Racing Co. team driver '68-'69, Alfa Romeo standard bearer, guiding force behind the DeKon Monzas among other activities and accomplishments.  The ranks of the original participants continues to thin...

Mike K./Swede70

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »
Sad news, Mike.  Thanks for sharing.  Horst was another great driver and will be missed.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2020, 05:35:53 AM »
Greetings,

Follow the link to view a period Super 8 film containing footage from the '68 Lime Rock as well as Bryar Trans-Am events.  Uploaded by Chris Gilman.  Although a bit headache inducing for running quickly in terms of frames per second, it's terrific...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZz2AJ_mpRA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2KTdgUICqIqWUTIMSbkGCYeufS7-Z-gPXc1QedGGrv4MH3iHO3SNmP2zE

Mike K./Swede70

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2020, 02:06:09 PM »
Greetings,

Follow the link to view a period Super 8 film containing footage from the '68 Lime Rock as well as Bryar Trans-Am events.  Uploaded by Chris Gilman.  Although a bit headache inducing for running quickly in terms of frames per second, it's terrific...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZz2AJ_mpRA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2KTdgUICqIqWUTIMSbkGCYeufS7-Z-gPXc1QedGGrv4MH3iHO3SNmP2zE

Mike K./Swede70

Yes, nice footage. Too bad the frame transfer is not correct. Should be @ 18fps, not 24.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2020, 08:08:09 PM »
Greetings,

A rather unexpected and long documentary treatment of the '70 Trans-Am Series, with much Watkins-Glen content.  Wholly unknown to me.  Certainly examine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Rc8AhuBSY&fbclid=IwAR1rNDLlAcPKYy2ifeDGX2wDAfYKpuNXEvCo0h2P0iuZjR_P5Ec1B5wb5zo&app=desktop

Mike K./Swede70

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2020, 01:08:06 PM »
Great video for understanding a little more about the 1970 Trans-Am series...  Thanks for posting!~
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2020, 03:25:10 PM »
Greetings,

This was a 30 minute VHS program found on YouTube which contains a snippet of what I take to be the 1968 Penske Trans-Am Camaro documentary 'Four Hands on the Wheel', the material from such which may be viewed between 7:02 and 10:33.  Until the full documentary surfaces, scraps found here or there will have to suffice.  Consider then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdjmDpRXQ6Q

Mike K./Swede70

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2020, 04:58:01 PM »
My friend Manny @ Carfilms.com will most likely have the original film negatives (of the racing footage) for these two segments. IF he does, it will be high quality HD transfers.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2020, 12:20:32 AM »
Greetings,

I didn't bother to mention the 1969 Donnybrooke Trans-Am content given I thought it was known.  Attached is a YT link to a stretch of the same likely in excess of the total content sampled within the Carfilms.com product line, this or the older VHS The History of the Trans-Am Series 1966-1992 produced by J.B. Heimann Productions.  The J.B. Heimann history of the series was rereleased on DVD some time back and is easy enough to find (if not everyone has it).  Anyhow, consider reviewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdKWMq0GKT4

A while ago I posted a link to the same on a FB Historic Trans-Am group page and raised ire of someone who apparently had a hand in the production of such, although I wish he would have afforded information consistent with securing a licensed full-length copy given I and others would surely like a copy.  I deleted my post, although perhaps I should have pursued details consistent with firming up who was responsible for capturing the footage and producing what was seen?  Perhaps in time this information will be found or will surface.  Thanks...

P.S. For a time it's my understanding that copies of Four Hands on the Wheel were sold Autobooks and Aerobooks in Burbank, CA.  The fortunate few gathered copies thus, while rare screenings (likely utilizing examples of the actual film) are mentioned online, typically tied to themed lectures.  Beyond this the trail grows cold.  M.K.

Mike K./Swede70

anything