Author Topic: Engine photos  (Read 119406 times)

OCTARD

• View Profile
Re: Engine photos
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 09:11:51 PM »
Just a bit more on Jon's point about drooping and sectioning the front of these cars. 

With a Camaro, they sectioned or reduced the height of the radiator support and then had to deal with a few other issues that result (back of front fender to door gap, cowl interference to underside of back edge of hood, etc.).  But with a Camaro, the radiator support and inner fenders are removable for the modification effort.

With a '69 or '70 Boss Mustang, the inner front fender and radiator support are an integral piece of the whole front chunk of the unibody.  Therefore, the effort to section and droop the nose on the team Boss 302s was even more involved than a Camaro.  Many of the factory Boss 302s (Bud Moore and Shelby teams) had differing levels of droop with each car.  If any of the readers have a chance to attend a vintage race with the Historic Trans-Am cars, check out the droop on Brian Ferrin's Bud Moore Boss.  The droop is most noticeable if you happen to stand at the back of the hood to cowl union, and get down to back of hood height.  The drop off from that point to the front of the hood is quite severe, especially if you have a "standard" height front sheetmetal Boss nearby to compare it to.  A reasonable view of what I'm talking about on Brian's car can be seen here: http://historictransam.com/images/wc048967.jpg

And, so severe was the droop on this '69 Bud Moore Boss in it's initial debut (http://www.russoandsteele.com/vehicle-photo/Engine-Bay-Photo-Ford-Boss-302-Trans-Am-Race-Car/1164/1164-large.jpg), the fenders had to be notched around the doors because of the slope angle and design shape of this fender-to-door union.

-Chad

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 03:46:11 AM »
This engine in Roy Woods' first ARA '69 Camaro appears to have a magnesium crossram too. Note the '67-'68 alternator placement.
Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 04:16:00 AM »
Great shot, Jon! 

Though I'd read that Roy Woods liked to use Bartz engines, that oil fill cap on the 2-4-6-8 cylinder side valve cover is a Bartz signature piece as well.  The caps Bartz liked to use are a two piece, spot welded affair.  The "ears" portion of sheetmetal is spot welded to the cap, that then goes into the cammed bung/neck.  Though similar in appearance and function, this unit is a little different than the one-piece cap and ear items you see being sold today by ATL, Fuel Safe, etc.

Here's a shot of one of these old fill caps up close.

-Chad

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 04:43:31 AM »
The coil mount and fuel line coming out of the firewall on this RWR Camaro is very similar to the Titus-Godsall built 1969 Firebirds. 

-Chad

Bruce302

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 09:33:32 AM »
You can also see the forward bars from the firewall to subframe, usually a trademark of Jerry Schwartz Titus Godsall cars, but he had a hand in the second Roy Woods Camaro from memory.

Bruce.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »
Roy Woods also used Bob Joehnck engines. I'm not sure if this is a Joehnck or Bartz engine. If someone was wanting to recreate covers like these, would either of you know where they could come up with the pieces to make a cap like that? It seems like it would have been something that was sourced from something else, not made from scratch.
Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 05:25:48 PM »
Hello Jon,

The caps are no longer being made, but I have acquired a few, and would be willing to get them into the right hands. 

-Chad

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 06:14:06 PM »
Very cool, Chad. I'm glad I asked the question.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 04:01:39 AM »
This photo is of the Bud Turner '67 Camaro engine as seen in the "How to Hot Rod Small Block Chevys" book.
Notice the homemade cowl plenum air cleaner going the opposite direction of "normal". That's because this
car had a transmission cooler up in the top of the cowl on the passenger side so it was improvisation time.
Other items of interest are the Corvette radiator, the cut-down flex fan and the Z28 1x4 intake and valve covers.

This picture from "The Complete Chevrolet Book, No. 2" shows Bud Turner's '67 Camaro at the 1971 Riverside
Trans-Am, car #12. It changed from the white with black hood paint job of 1970 to a medium blue with yellow
nose stripe and yellow accents on the side of the roof and rear (but kept the black hood).
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 03:03:04 PM »
Greetings,

This is from a MT/PP 1968 Yearbook (trying to avoid the copyright Thought Police then), featuring as it does season reviews of select racing series run across 1967.  No specific notice as to just what car is being inspected, but the cowl induction air pickup seems to match the '67 Marlboro photograph seen elsewhere in this thread.  Appalled to notice I've lost the same yearbook over the course of a mere 24 hours, hence desire to scan same and afford the reader a higher resolution image has for the moment been thwarted.  Thanks...

Mike K.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »
Thanks very much for posting that photo. I don't own that particular publication so it's a new one to me. Based on some things such as the chrome valve covers, the stock fuel line, the fan and fan shroud, and a lift off hood, I am confident that it is not the Penske/Donohue car. Just whose car it is though, I'm not sure. The air cleaner to the firewall was a General Motors part available to anybody and not something custom-made by the Penske team. If you are able to find the yearbook again, a higher resolution image posted here would be very appreciated.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
Crude scanner didn't permit cropping/enlarging.  Better, whereas painfully tiny.  Will try again soon.  M.K.

Bruce302

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »
Here is a pic I have had for quite some time, but unfortunately I don't know where it was taken or by who.

There are some unique features that should make it readily identifiable.

Bruce.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 03:51:52 PM »
Bruce,

That is the engine compartment of the first '67 Penske Camaro (the car that Mark drove through the first 8 races of the '67 season) but it is after the car went to Europe. I believe the photo may be from 1969. I received that photo from Jeff Barley in England. I'm not sure if you received it from the same source or if I may have forwarded it to you.

-Jon
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 04:16:38 PM »
That's Ron Bucknum, driver of the #9 Penske Camaro. I think this is from the '69 Mid-Ohio Trans-Am race.

Frank Dihartce Collection
Jon Mello
CRG

anything