Author Topic: My 69 not that much fun anymore  (Read 29029 times)

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
My 69 not that much fun anymore
« on: April 02, 2011, 10:50:32 PM »
 I need to share.

After working for a number of years to make my 69 'correct', I'm really feeling kinda blue. I lost my heated garage three years back so it's been kinda hard just keeping up with the 'preservation' of the car much less pushing it to the next level. Late last fall I removed the intake and exhaust manifolds with the intention of repainting and having the manifolds ceramic coated. The rust was killing me. Found the correct dated master and had it rebuilt, same with the booster. Cast ceramic done.

Now I'm rethinking where I'm going with the car.  Other than the Judged events like ACA and the like, the average guy could care two cents. I open the hood and they look and say 'oh' and they're off. I really really enjoy talking to knowledgeable Camaro fans, but they are few and far between.  Most conversations revolve around ' oh I always wanted a Pace Car or whatever'.
The trip to Carlisle is a major endeavor, and now that ACA has moved, I'm not much in the mood to push the extra miles with the trailer and the gas$$$.

So other than a few hundred people on the planet who really cares that its a 'born with drive-train'.... its not a L78, oh just a 350. Oh I see you have the correct brake lines, nice.

Tired of driving around on date correct wheels that hop at 70 mph, on 'correct Goodyear bias/belted tires'. Tired of another 'misfire' from my crappy 'date correct' wires.  And so on and on.

It's just not that much fun worrying about the dust on the road, gravel, rainstorms, etc.

Selling it is not an option. Prices are soft, and I spent bucks knowing that the only person who benefits from restored is the buyer. So I want to keep it but just think right now I'm going to 're-think' the car.

Taking it up to the next level..... Vintage Elite or Legends would require even more effort. Would need to repaint (I have base clear) dated glass and a 'Gardner exhaust'. And then what... more bucks and never take the car outside again? Hell as it is the car feels like a Museum piece.

So..... here is what I'm thinking.  If I had have owned this car, back in the 70's when I was a young man, what would I have done to make it 'mine'???  I certainly would not have left it just as it was delivered from the factory. I think I would have put headers on it, decent looking valve covers, some chrome under the hood, nice wheels and tires... and driven it like I stole it.

My rant, sorry must have been the long long winter 
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

x77-69z28

• View Profile
Re: My 69 not that much fun anymore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:00:03 PM »
gary, i agree 100%. put some torq thrust wheels on it, an edelbrock intake, somew mickey thompson valve covers, lakewood traction bars and drive it till the 8 track craps out on it!
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 12:36:34 AM »
For legends (not sure about the new Carlisle judging) base coat clear is fine so why the paint change? JMHO, but I would give this a lot of thought as it seems you have other toys to enjoy. I find the challenge of Legends just that challenging. There and other places you are around car guy/gals that know our cars. But whatever course you take, make it fun. ;D
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

IZRSSS

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 12:48:33 AM »
I feel your sentiments but I don't think a pace car is the right choice to drive until the wheels come off...or until it looks like the 69 in yesterdays home page. Especially now that GM is building takeoffs from the most desirable models. I think most of us are up against this same dilemma. I for one wish I could afford to buy a nice SS (numbers or not) and build it to ride. I envy guys that say they run their cars like they were meant to be driven. My car is a driver but there is a limit to how far I will go.

I am sure there are several inexpensive First Gens out there that will serve your purpose...anyway, my 2 cents.

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:54:59 AM »
how about just going to your local car shows and cruise nights and enjoy the car a bit.No pressure to worry about if the judges will like this or that.Just take the year off from the BIG CAMARO SHOW and just have fun with the car locally.That is what I think I might do also this year as like you said the camaro nats are further and will cost more this year so I am just going to enjoy the local events.
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 01:10:40 AM »
Gary, I think at one time or another we have all been there. The most fun I ever had was in a Gen one Camaro that was a non number matching car, had no fear of driving and modifying it...A little different story now with my current Camaro as the NOS parts I'm collecting for my number matching car are killing my bank account. I agree with Marty you don't want to modify or run the heck out of your pace car, there are enough cheap cars out there you can play with and have fun. At the end of the day it's your car and do with it what you will. This hobby is meant to be fun and exciting and sometimes we loose that perspective.
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 02:07:50 AM »
Gary,I could not agree more,Ive owned my Z10 since 76.I babied it the minute I bought it,put on about 5000 mi the first 4 yrs ,drove it 1 time after that & parked it.I just finished a restoration used as many original parts as possible & have original engine trans, axle sheetmetal ect.Now that im done Ive promised myself I would drive it.I spent some money on it but not like most guys because it was in good shape to begin with.I dont mind spending some cash once in awhile if needed but a contours,or legends show only interests me in learning more about the cars not spending more money to make it perfect.I like going to car shows but I rarely take mine.I enjoy talking to car guys & I stay away from the obnoxious "know it alls" Im going to "try" to just enjoy the car & not freak out because the starter is not correctly date coded. I want to retire in a few yrs that seems more important to me at this time in my life.Sold my vettes ,truck & plenty of parts,I feel better already.Only the camaro is left & that is plenty for me.Enjoy your car & have some fun with it,put a set of "Purple Hornys" on it! LOL
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 02:49:16 AM »
Thanks for the thoughtful comments guys... really.  :-*

OK so stripes are cleared as well, so paint for them would be in order, anyway. Has a spare mirror, RH door, touchup not a breeze. I think I need a few stone chips. Really would stop me fussing so much about it.

Agree that a Pace Car should not be 'hurt', my bro thinks I'm crazy also.

Yes there are cheap cars out there.... I've got 5 Camaro's a Vette, motorcycle and three drivers. I collect, never get rid of stuff.  My ex got the house and I got the wheels.  If I buy another car they will send me to the loony bin.
Local car shows are fun , but mostly they look at first-gens but talk third gens.  You know the lingo... that's why I built my crazy 9T4Z and ended up with a couple third gens and it keeps my son very engaged with my projects
 Now I have to focus on getting rid of cars and parts, and deciding what route will make me happier. I enjoy the hobby of learning about correct cars, probably more than I would enjoy having a 'concours' one  :P Spell check doesn't like that word!

While I was polishing my vintage M/T valve covers, I smelled something burning, couple minutes ago. Thought it was the drill. Nope, left dinner on the burner. Girlfriend out. Looks like soup tonight. :-[

I am going to create a new class for car shows...Vintage Street, no parts on the vehicle more than 10 years newer than the car was made. Only you have to start with a correct car and go backwards. . ;)

Typed up a list of what was going to come off the car, and what would go on. Other than wheels and tires I have about everything I need. It will all be stored carefully rest assured. I don't really think I can 'hurt' the car, it will all be bolt on stuff... circa 1976 so that it will 'recreate' a feeling of the era. First thing to come off are those door decals. I have lots of vintage race stuff from the mid 70s and bits of chrome dress up, aluminum pieces etc

The Princess is not dead, I'm just putting her to sleep for a few years. When I get the urge and enough energy, she will be be back, better than ever.

In the meantime maybe this is not the place for me to post up a list of what I plan, counter intuitive to the CRG mandate, or maybe I should start a web-link and I can get comments.  Maybe start another thread in 'un-restoration'?  :D
Gary 9T4Z

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 04:09:27 AM »
Gary, I understand the delima.  My Z10 was a decent driver when I bought it, then I started bringing it back to where it need to be.  Lot's of dollars and effort.  That was over the first 6 or 7 years that I owned the car.  To take it to the next level I would need to strip it down and repaint.  But then I new I would not drive the thing for feaf of bug splatter or heaven forbid a rock chip.  So I decided that I would have more  fun just leaving it as it was and driving it.  So, I pulled the engine, to preserve it, and replaced it with a ZZ4.  This really changed the personality of the car.  I woke it up.  Much more powerful and I didn't worry about blowing up the motor.  This was great for the next couple of years.  Then I started to want another toy.  But selling the Z10 is out of the question. 

So, my newest toy is a 2006 Z06 Corvette.  I love this thing and it's really a much better ride than the Camaro.  But, on nice days, when the mood hits, the Z10 is waiting to be taken for a spin. My first true love is a 1st gen camaro, and probably always will be.

Cheers!

69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 11:57:34 AM »
Play with it. The car is more fun that way.  Swap the wheels, get a different exhaust, play with a NOM motor, Add some "Day 2" traction bars etc.

You gotta have something to play with.

-Mark.

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »

I think he already has that part covered...something about a girlfriend? :-*

67L78

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 02:52:29 PM »
I felt the same way a few years back. Have always drove my car even when I was showing it. Have not had it judged for 7or8 years. I started looking for Day2 street machine stuff like Sun Tach, Torque Trust wheels and radial tires. When I bought the car it had an old school fiberglass stinger style hood and put it on. Also run a set of 69 XT wheels with Goodyear Eagle AT's and dog dish caps. Now i'm shopping for a set of Lakewood bars.
Drive your car to the cruise ins and the shows but don't get it judged. Talking to people about our cars is what i enjoy and when you run into a "know it all' just shake your head o.k. and move on.

Richard

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »
Yes, definitely have fun with it. If you don't enjoy it, you won't be happy.

That's the reason I like mine... it's nothing special... the previous owner cloned it into an SS.
I don't worry about it too much. I just have fun with it.
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 04:18:10 PM »
Play with it. The car is more fun that way.  Swap the wheels, get a different exhaust, play with a NOM motor, Add some "Day 2" traction bars etc.

-Mark.

Yes! That's what I was sentimentalizing about....' Day 2.'  Didn't understand the reference from Mark and Richard but that seems to be the direction. I Google'd  the term and ended up at Team Chevelle.
Is there any other references to this 'Day2' thing?  I guess you'd just have to pick through old magazines and the Summit catalog  but maybe there are new publications going that direction?

Thanks 
Gary 9T4Z

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 05:40:19 PM »
Its Day-2 fever my friends. To me, full blown restos and frame-offs are from years past. NOT worth the money and the cars just become lawn ornaments. With cars like those you also need a truck and trailer to go anywhere. That to me is spending just stupid money for the average or above guy. Day-2 the car with vintage era parts and you will see a whole new car  and tons of fun and enjoyment. The judging thing has really become a thorn IMO. Whats the point anymore? Authentication yes, Concours judging, who cares!

anything