Author Topic: My 69 not that much fun anymore  (Read 29153 times)

67L78

• View Profile
Re: My 69 not that much fun anymore
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 08:45:47 PM »
Gary,
I've never heard of what "Day 2" really means but its been around awhile. My take on it means on the second day after buying a car back in the late 60's and early 70's the first thing an owner would do is put on a set of mag wheels and fat tires, headers, traction bars and a Sun tach on the steering column. Very few people would leave them factory stock unless their dad bought it for them and those guys wouldn't race them anyway.
You'll here Day 2 used by some people when talking about Supercars (Yenkos, Motion, Berger etc.)

Richard

rare4k

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 09:45:12 PM »
Day2 is the best!!!  I did as you did as well correct heads, dist, nut and bolt  no for to drive went day2 to never looked back you can enjoy the car and a little fun finding the old race car parts  the 500 wheel, traction action bars, headers, add every thing after buying the car new and went down to the speed shop alot of fun

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »
Day 2 to me means headers, cam, flowmasters, and rear gears. That is what I did in the 70,s and what I still do. I do well at local shows and enjoy pulling in with the cam thumping and the mufflers bumping. I respect the concours guys and love to look at them but what I what really makes me feel good is a smokey burn out and sitting at the stop light just listening to the cam thump. All mine basicly look original but but are a lot more fun.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »
If you want to Day-2 a car today it should be done with vintage parts. Not the Summit or Jegs parts. Tough to find that stuff but makes it all the fun. Alot of cars before resto had these old 60's-70's parts on them but many toss them duing the resto process. Fix em, paint em, detail em, clean em, drive em, and or race em! No more lawn ornaments and cookie cutter stuff. JMO

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »
So Sammy...you don't like my slapper bars I put on Black Beauty, you know the ones I got at Summit, You could always sell me a set of those yellar ones you got's.... ;D

And yea, day two it and have some fun, and make some passes too.. ;)
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 12:12:41 AM »
If you want to Day-2 a car today it should be done with vintage parts. Not the Summit or Jegs parts. Tough to find that stuff but makes it all the fun. Alot of cars before resto had these old 60's-70's parts on them but many toss them duing the resto process. Fix em, paint em, detail em, clean em, drive em, and or race em! No more lawn ornaments and cookie cutter stuff. JMO

That's what I'm talking about!  I have a lot of 'vintage' parts.... except wheels.  And NO I am not going to go there... more square wheels!  I need to find something authentic looking that will run straight and true, without worrying about cracked aluminum or rusty welds. Maybe with a decent modern tire sized to look like the old N50-15's out back and something skinny on the front.  Not toooo skinny.  Any suggestions?

Not doing the track bars... likely going mild lift with the Air-Shocks as mostly I remember that you could do one OR the other....mind you I could always paint the Jegs's ones yellow   8)
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
OOO  I got just what you need !!!!!  I have an Accell DUAL POINT distributor and Accell Super Coil too !! Bright Yellow so it stands out. Even has the Brown cap and extra Loooong wires so they stay off the headers. :o
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

blownz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 02:06:35 AM »
Mine never left Day 2, I have owned it since 1979.  I bought it with an L88,  M21 488 gears!   Now it sports a BLown 502, Richmond 5 speed, Moser 35 Spline 410 12 bolt.    The Lakewood bars have always been on it, I recently installed the 3 pt rollbar (owned for 20 yrs)   I do have a DZ 302 in the garage if needed.    Day 2 for life!

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 11:40:19 AM »
So Sammy...you don't like my slapper bars I put on Black Beauty, you know the ones I got at Summit, You could always sell me a set of those yellar ones you got's.... ;D

And yea, day two it and have some fun, and make some passes too.. ;)
Mike, I love you and those slapper bars. You are one of my heros and you know it! I am also tickled pink that Cliff Lee is back! The poor Indians.

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 01:25:01 PM »
OOO  I got just what you need !!!!!  I have an Accell DUAL POINT distributor and Accell Super Coil too !! Bright Yellow so it stands out. Even has the Brown cap and extra Loooong wires so they stay off the headers. :o

Already got em!
Gary 9T4Z

Oaklyss

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »
Heres Day 2 on Day 2, this is what we did back then. Lakewood slapper bars (painted black cause I got a ticket for them being below the tire rim), 14 x 10" Cragers in the rear with Highjacker air shocks and M-50 14 Pro Track tires, 350 bored .030 over with Turbo 292 casting heads, radical Crane cam, 4:56 gears, Blackjack Headers, Mallory Dual point, Yellow plug wires:

69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
1972 AMX 401 4 speed, cowl induction, twin-grip, A/C, unrestored, original paint
1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire factory Turbo and Methanol injection, 4 speed, posi, 1 of 4 known to exist

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 08:11:07 PM »
I bought a nice Z in 1982, and drive it on nice days. It has original motor, trans, rear, and most original parts, but it's missing some original items. I just was never that interested in whether it had every correct item. It's not why I bought it. And I don't really care that it will never win any shows, etc. I just enjoy it for what it is, a nice looking, nice running 302 Camaro. I have the most fun with it winding the motor in the boonies where nobody else is around.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 02:08:55 AM »
These Camaros above look more like day 4 or 5.  But they are cool.  I remember the day when the idea was to install a set of air shocks and get the back our cars as high in the air as we could and stuff the biggest baddest tires we could find (unlike today where we lower our cars for actual handling.  Whoda thunk it).  Never mind the fact that we destroyed what little ride & comfort our cars came with (like a solid axle tank on a cobble road).  This jacking up the back of the car threw off the center balance of the whole car and I actually had to brace against the steering wheel to keep from sliding down off the seat when braking hard as it was like sitting on a sliding board (what seatbelts?  Did my car even have them back then?)

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 03:35:03 PM »
especially if you just armour-all your seats...

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 04:33:16 PM »
Handling and stock first gens can't be used in the same sentence.  The parts available back then were all about 'straight line' racing and emulating Grumpy.

It's only in recent decades that owners suddenly wanted cars to 'handle' and parts to suit (coil over, tubular A arms,drop spindles, disc brake packages, SFC, poly bushings etc) became available due to demand. Sure you could set it up to run an oval, but wouldn't try any hairpins. That was for the Vette boys.
Gary 9T4Z