Author Topic: Wheels used on Trans-Am Camaros  (Read 190014 times)

wolfmin

• View Profile
Re: Wheels used on Trans-Am Camaros
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2011, 01:34:25 PM »
Here's a photo of the Dick Hoffman Camaro with a set of Motor Wheel Spyders on it

Camicia

Mike, besides the Milt Minter Firebird, the Hoffman Camaro was the other one I had remembered using the Spyder wheels. Others may have used them but those are two cars I remember using them for sure.

I believe the early 70s orange with green numbers Camaro driven by Walter Parkins and later David Jungerman had this type of wheel too.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2011, 05:45:46 AM »
Another photo of some magnesium 6-spoke Americans along with some special captive Trans-Am lugnuts.

Photo by Frank Dihartce
Jon Mello
CRG

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2011, 04:06:31 PM »
Hello Jon,

Those photos of Frank DiHartce's lugs remind me of a set of Minilites and lug nuts that Neil Karolek had/has.  He was kind enough to provide me a few up close images of these lug nuts in 2004.

-Chad

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »
And one more shot of the lug nut and insert alone.

-Chad

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2011, 05:01:58 PM »
Short contrast of '69 Minilite w/raised outer rim lip detail to '70 and later wheels that seem to shed same.  

...Jerry Titus, perhaps MIS, '69 then.

...George Follmer, St. Jovite, '70 then.

Thanks

M.K.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
Here's a Minilite I saw on a '69 Javelin Trans-Am car up at the Sonoma Historics. Does anyone know what the stamped numbers on the circular pad mean?

Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2011, 07:37:57 PM »
Greetings,

A (probably not too far off the mark) guess to offer up.  Foundry identifiers, key personnel hallmarks concerning the manufacturing process seen perhaps? Batch lot for the magnesium alloy, and who and whom oversaw or participated in the manufacture of the wheel?  My 1974-dated wheels bear year and month identification on another pad, whereas this is the best I can surmise concerning what is on view.  I'd have to look, but offset and dimensional information is also stamped upon this other pad of which I speak - hence what appears here seems cryptic by way of contrast.  Others would know for certain.  Thanks...

Mike K.

Bruce302

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2011, 11:19:38 PM »
Perhaps the C4 is a date code, the 15 114 could represent 15 " diameter and the 114 is PCD (pitch circle diameter) in millimetres which is the same as 4.5"
That is assuming that the Javelin is 4.5" PCD.
BSM, perhaps a British Standard reference, as was/is used as identifying manufacturing standards in certain industries.

Bruce 

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2011, 06:31:24 AM »
Thank you both for your thoughts. Yes, the Javelin uses the 4.5" bolt circle.
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, and was sent here by a Ford buddy, also with a huge T/A racing habit.  Personally, I'm into the AMC aspect of it, but I grew up around Chevrolets, and currently my brother has an old CenDiv 69 Camaro.  I have a little input on the  wheel topic, as I currently have a set of the American six spokes (also heard them referred to as TA-70) currently sitting on my Javelin streetcar!  They've been in my family since 1985, and were originally 5 x4.75 but were "opened up" for the Ford pattern way back before we knew better.  I have NEVER been able to find a marking on these wheels anywhere, but they sure spark interest to folks with an eye for detail.  I'll try to add pics later.  Oh, one of the last pictures above shows a Minilite with the "plugs" in it....more than likely from a 70 Penske Javelin.

Craig

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2011, 04:50:58 PM »
Thanks for signing up Craig and welcome to our forum. Post some pics of your wheels when you get a chance.
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »
Thank you, Jon, will do.  I also have a 70's T/A car that has an "odd" glass seat in it as well....pretty sure its a Racemark, considering some of the other stuff on my car.

Craig

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2011, 10:37:06 PM »
I've attached two pictures that are courtesy of Steve Francis.  Steve notes that these wheels are 15" X 9.5", and have a GM, 5 on 4 3/4" bolt pattern.  The wheels have a stamp of TPI, which is most likely Troy Promotions Inc., and perhaps were used on a Tony DeLorenzo or Jerry Thompson Corvette (Owens Corning sponsorship). 

Per Steve: "It just showed up one day with UPS without a note or name. Kind of weird but appreciated at the same time. I've had it a while as a conversation piece for the office."

Steve Francis has found, documented and restored a number of old race cars, with a particular fondness and capability with Mustangs run during the early years of Trans-Am.

OCTARD

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2011, 10:39:14 PM »
I've attached one more picture, again courtesy of Steve Francis, that shows the hub mounting surface of the above noted Minilite.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2011, 04:33:57 AM »
Oh, one of the last pictures above shows a Minilite with the "plugs" in it....more than likely from a 70 Penske Javelin.

Craig
Welcome Craig.
Those Minilite wheels don't really have plugs in them. The mold had an insert so they could be cast as 4 lug or 5 lug by swapping out the insert.
Kurt S
CRG

anything