CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 02:07:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
107637 Posts in 12512 Topics by 4813 Members
Latest Member: fsc66
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Model Specific Discussions
| |-+  Trans-Am Camaros
| | |-+  Original T/A racing photographs, late 60's & early 70's
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]  All Print
Author Topic: Original T/A racing photographs, late 60's & early 70's  (Read 85761 times)
Steve Holmes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #270 on: November 10, 2014, 11:55:01 PM »

Wow, outstanding images! Thanks for sharing. Great to see one of the old Autodynamics Challengers in privateer hands.

The #88 Mo Carter Camaro. Is this an ex-Chaparral car?

The #76 '69 Camaro is, I believe, Joe Chamberlain? Joe raced this car in NZ in 1972/73, just as he did his first '69 Camaro a couple of years earlier. 

Steve Holmes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #271 on: November 11, 2014, 12:03:15 AM »

Harley Davidson legend Cal Rayborn raced a '67 Z-28 for a short time and had it entered in the '69 Riverside Trans-Am. It ran during
practice but for some unknown reason did not make the race.

Jon Mello Collection

Fascinating image of Cal Rayborn. Thanks Jon. I didn't realise he raced a Camaro. As you rightly say, he was a motorbike racer, and a very accomplished one. He was killed in New Zealand in late 1973, racing a motorbike at Pukekohe, which is just as wild and bumpy today as it was back then.

He'd had a Lola Formula A/5000 car (ex-AAR John Cannon car I believe) shipped out to NZ that he was going to race in the Tasman Series, but was killed a week before the opening race. The Lola was later used to build an extremely radical Chrysler Valiant Charger sedan race car with tube-frame chassis and the motor in the back. It still exists today, still with the Rayborn Lola parts in it. 

Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 11, 2014, 08:43:34 PM »

Steve, very interesting tidbit about Rayborn driving a F5000 car and perishing in an accident in the car down in NZ. I don't think I knew that fact. Thanks for the insight.

Jon Mello
CRG
Bruce302

View Profile Email
« Reply #273 on: November 12, 2014, 09:15:55 PM »

Steve, very interesting tidbit about Rayborn driving a F5000 car and perishing in an accident in the car down in NZ. I don't think I knew that fact. Thanks for the insight.

Cal Rayborn died after being thrown from his motorcycle at Pukekohe (near Auckland) in practice for the main event. He was riding a two stroke (Suzuki from memory )and as they do sometimes, it went lean, seized and locked the back wheel. Having been used to 4 stroke bikes he wasn't used to having the clutch at the ready when the semi inevitable happened.

Bruce.
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 12, 2014, 09:58:17 PM »

Thanks, Bruce.  Steve said it right.  For some reason I just screwed up my reply.  It's all good now.  Grin

Jon Mello
CRG
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: