Author Topic: Firebird and the Trans-Am series  (Read 204201 times)

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
Re: Firebird and the Trans-Am series
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2017, 08:53:32 PM »
Thanks Jon, these are such neat photos. I hope you have a few more to share because I'm really enjoying them.

Its interesting watching how this car evolved as attempts continued to keep it competitive. Dare I say it, the car got uglier and uglier. But this typical, and certainly common for the era. In fact, the way the Firebird looked in your last three photos reminds me a lot of how the ex-Joe Chamberlain independent Camaro looked as it too evolved in New Zealand during the 1970s.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 28, 2017, 03:38:21 AM »
Steve, I'm glad you enjoyed those but they are the last ones I have of that car. The 70's were definitely not kind to most of these cars as the decade wore on.

Regarding Joe Chamberlain's old car, I have seen Z/28 emblems installed in a bunch of different places on a Camaro but the location seen in the photo above is a new one on me. I can't say I'm a fan.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 01, 2017, 02:31:38 PM »
Here's a black & white photo of the Titus/Ward car from Kent, 1968.
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2017, 12:33:47 AM »
Wow, another stunning image of the Titus/Ward Firebird. Thank you Jon. This car had a very aggressive look about it. Understandably it looked quite untidy in its presentation at Kent, but of course that was to be expected given the not insignificant task of converting it from Camaro to Firebird sheet metal and painting it. But it was a very purposeful and fast looking car from every angle.

And it did prove to be a very fast car.

Neat photo. Thanks Jon.

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2017, 12:38:17 AM »
Steve, I'm glad you enjoyed those but they are the last ones I have of that car. The 70's were definitely not kind to most of these cars as the decade wore on.

Regarding Joe Chamberlain's old car, I have seen Z/28 emblems installed in a bunch of different places on a Camaro but the location seen in the photo above is a new one on me. I can't say I'm a fan.

Lets be honest Jon, it was a pretty ugly car by the time this photo was taken. When it first appeared in New Zealand in late 1970 it was very pretty, and well presented. But the more relaxed NZ rules, allowing wider wheels and heavily flared fenders meant it soon morphed into what you see here. This would have been taken in late 1973 or early '74.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2017, 04:08:22 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed the photo, Steve.  Yes, the car had a nice aggressive look to it and was very fast, like you say. It even sat on the pole at Kent. I thought I had a picture of Donohue and Titus next to one another on the front row prior to the start of the race but I can't find it in my files.
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 06, 2017, 06:10:57 PM »
Jon, here's a pic of Donohue & Titus at Kent '68, not on the grid, but during the race.

Mike

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 06, 2017, 07:43:01 PM »
In that photo, it appears that the camaro sits a bit lower in front....?     or maybe Mark is hitting his brakes to keep from running over the Firebird??  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 22, 2017, 01:09:32 AM »
Here is the Bonhams auction result for the sale of the Titus-Ward Firebird a few months ago.

The lower than expected price is due to corrections that need to be made to the car for it to be able to continue to run with the HTA Group, one of which is the fitment of a real Pontiac rear axle instead of the Chevy 12-bolt it currently has.
Jon Mello
CRG

Bruce302

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 23, 2017, 07:22:05 AM »
That's a pretty good price considering the things that it needs to be brought back to period correct presentation.

B.

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2017, 05:19:41 AM »
So what other things need to be changed? Are all the HTA cars running the correct rear axle?
Hard to understand all this fuss now considering many of them are running well over 500 HP now.

Robert 

Bruce302

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 25, 2017, 02:39:49 AM »
Robert, it is mostly detail stuff, engine aesthetics, plumbing and wiring etc, period correct valve covers, instrumentation, and seat etc on the inside.
The fuel cell and plumbing appeared to be a lot later than the 69 it represents.

The correctly built Pontiac rear end has 12 bolt ring gear and will take the 500+ hp quite well.

Bruce.

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 12, 2017, 01:55:41 AM »
I skimmed through this thread, and the one on New Zealand/Australian Camaros and Firebirds, I may have missed this image, apologies if has been seen before ? if so, or if I'm violating copyright I will remove the post.
Found it somewhere on the net.
Any one know this car ? It could be in England, or down under looking at the cars in the background.

Mike

Bruce302

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 13, 2017, 10:02:48 AM »
That Firebird was, and still is, based in New Zealand and that pic is at Calder in Australia in 1972. It is a T/G built car that arrived in NZ in late '72 with Ron Grable, one time Javelin T/A racer.
The car still exists and is being restored.

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 13, 2017, 08:45:47 PM »
Bruce302, thanks for the reply and ID on the above Firebird photo.

Don't want to side track this thread, from the the similar one on Camaros & Firebirds down under.

I noticed that the car has a unusual placement of the marker lights on the front valance and at the sides. is this some thing that was required by Australian and New Zealand rules ?

I noticed that the Coppins Firebird had the same arrangement.

Mike

anything