Author Topic: Firebird and the Trans-Am series  (Read 203859 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Firebird and the Trans-Am series
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2014, 12:56:46 AM »
Joe, thanks for posting that. There is some good info that was new to me.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2014, 01:40:36 PM »
Here's an interesting color shot of Jerry Titus' Firebird. Note the subframe color is aqua like the color of the spokes of the Minilites, etc. Thanks to Mike K for pointing it out to me.
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2014, 08:51:19 PM »
After the Daytona 1969 race, who raced the Ward/Titus Camaro/Firebird?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 04, 2014, 04:33:56 AM »
Steve, the car was entered by Fred Van Beuren, Raul Perez Gama and Ruben Novoa at Sebring where it crashed heavily during the first lap of practice. Raul Perez Gama was the driver at the time and also the owner of the car apparently.
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2014, 08:51:10 PM »
Thanks Jon. By chance, would you know of its career beyond 1969? It always fascinates me how many of these cars survive.

And while on the subject, I've often read that Jon Ward was considered to be quite a talented driver and car builder. Did he race much after teaming up with Titus at Daytona?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2014, 05:33:45 PM »
Steve, I have a picture of Ruben Novoa driving it in 1970 and Daniel Muniz driving it in 1971, both down in Mexico. It has 69 Camaro front sheet metal on it and no grille. I can understand the change after being heavily damaged at Sebring. After 1971, I heard it was raced by others down in Mexico until it was left for dead. Rick Titus bought it out of Mexico in the late 80's and the ownership from there has been well documented.

I don't know much about Jon Ward's driving career otrher than in the Camaro/Firebird. I think he was more well known as a car builder. He did do a lot of circle track racing at Saugus, CA but that's all I know.
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2014, 01:54:03 AM »
Thanks Jon, wow the Firebird with the '69 Camaro front sheet metal would certainly look different! Interesting how many race cars ended up in Mexico.

I assume there are probably a few more events not included here, but you are right, doesn't look like Jon Ward did a lot of actual driving himself: http://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/results/Jon-Ward-USA.html

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2014, 01:55:00 AM »
Does anyone know of any period magazine articles written about either the Craig Fisher or Jerry Titus 1968 Firebirds?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2014, 03:52:58 PM »
Steve, I don't think there is one on the '68 Titus "Firebird" other than the photo shown in the May '69 issue of Motorcade magazine (shown below)

There was an article about Craig Fisher and the Firebird in the '68 St Jovite Trans-Am program but it is in French, if I remember correctly.
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2014, 10:17:44 PM »
Thanks Jon. Wow, interesting stuff! The Fisher Firebird featured in a French speaking magazine?

Obviously there was a lot more magazine space given to the new '69 Firebirds.

I am wondering if anyone has a copy of the FIA homologation forms for the Firebirds in 1968, and their being granted to fit Chevy motors?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2014, 03:12:06 AM »
Steve, there were some Firebird homologation forms posted previously on this forum at http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=8075.0
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2014, 06:56:11 PM »
Steve, you may not be aware. but most people in Quebec speak French - see Quebec history on Wiki.  Sometimes you would get both French and English side by side in publications.
I remember that when racing at St. Jovite, it was helpful to know a few words of French.

Robert

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2014, 09:04:25 PM »
Thanks Robert, yes of course, that was silly of me, not sure how I managed to overlook that.

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2014, 09:04:54 PM »
Steve, there were some Firebird homologation forms posted previously on this forum at http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=8075.0

Thanks Jon, brilliant!

HarryQ

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 26, 2014, 06:15:00 AM »
Blood, Sweat & Gears. The Story of the Gray Ghost and the Junkyard Firebird by David G. Barnes.  was published recently about the exploits of the Pontiac team led by Herb Adams that raced the 64 Tempest driven by Bob Tullius and the 72 Firebird driven by Milt Minter.

This is a fact-based novel, but if you are looking for the engineering details, you will be disappointed. It does, however, tell the story of the people with their real names, and most of the anecdotes are accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Sweat-Gears-Junkyard-Firebird-ebook/dp/B00OI1PF8Y

HarryQ

anything