Author Topic: PRE-1969 SCCA SEDAN CATEGORY RECOGNITION FORMS for the Pontiac Firebird  (Read 10510 times)

OCTARD

• View Profile
Per the subject title, these are the PRE-1969 SEDAN CATEGORY RECOGNITION FORMS for the Pontiac Firebird.  Though requested by Jon within a different thread, I'm posting as a new topic because it may be a bit easier to follow or find by future forum visitors.

Like the 1969 Z/28 Camaro forms I've previously posted, these documents were acquired from Charlton Jones.  With these forms came a note from Charlton that stated:

"These are the actual recognition papers I carried in 1969 to the Trans-Am events as series scrutineer."

-Chad

OCTARD

• View Profile
Pages 3 and 4 of PRE-1969 SCCA SEDAN CATEGORY RECOGNITION FORMS for the Pontiac Firebird.

-Chad

OCTARD

• View Profile
Page 5 of PRE-1969 SCCA SEDAN CATEGORY RECOGNITION FORMS for the Pontiac Firebird.  The 5 pages I have attached are all that came in my set, and I don't know if there were more.

-Chad

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Really cool, Chad. Thanks for posting!

Anybody else have more of this for Firebirds?
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
Re: PRE-1969 SCCA SEDAN CATEGORY RECOGNITION FORMS for the Pontiac Firebird
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 09:13:25 PM »
Thanks to Jon for directing me to this very insightful thread. These forms make for interesting reading. It never ceases to amaze me the quality information on this forum.

I know I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking this, and I apologise in advance for doing so, but other than the image of a small block Chevy cylinder head on page 3 of the forms, where on these forms does it say its legal to fit a Chevy motor into a Pontiac? Eg, if I'm a scrutineer at a 1968 T/A event, where is the proof that the Chevy motor in Craig Fisher's Firebird is allowed to be there?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 03:54:04 AM »
You're very welcome, Steve.

I don't think your question is dumb at all. I think what is posted is just a portion of the homologation papers for the Firebird. Because there are not photos in every place there could be, I think these are either supplemental pages to a larger group or (as seems to be indicated) "Pre-1969" homologation papers that are "interim in nature" to a full release of specs and details.

I believe there's more out there and hope to come across it someday, in which case it will be posted here.
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 09:12:52 PM »
Thanks Jon, yeah that would really be cool, and hopefully the rest of the Firebird homologation papers will eventually come to light to be shared here.

Interesting to note its the Edelbrock cross-ram manifold pictured on the Firebird paperwork, and not the GM one.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 09:29:54 PM »
Steve, I commented last month about Vic Edelebrock's Camaro running the Edelbrock STR-10 crossram. I have never seen an instance where a Firebird or Camaro back in that classic era ran an aftermarket manifold in '69 or earlier. I had forgotten that one of these showed up in the Firebird homolgation papers. I do know that Edelbrock did make the crossram for the AMC Javelins and AMC did catalog it in their service parts program with an AMC part number so it was legal for them to use. It apparently would have been legal for a Firebird to run an Edelbrock manifold back then. I just have never seen an engine shot that has documented that as ever happening.
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 10:24:06 PM »
Thanks Jon, I think I've only ever seen one clear engine bay shot of either of the two Firebirds that raced in 1968, and that was the superb Ron Lathrop image you posted here. Like you say, that image clearly shows the Craig Fisher Firebird is fitted with the GM cross-ram. I don't think I've ever seen an image of the Titus engine bay, but assume its the same, even though that car now appears to be fitted with an Edelbrock item.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 02:43:16 AM »
Steve, here's a link to a T/G engine compartment shot from the '69 Bridgehampton T/A race showing the GM crossram... https://revslib.stanford.edu/catalog/xf033cp9446

But there was also the one race in '69 where T/G used the short tunnel ram, which may have been a custom Edelbrock unit (a picture of it shown in the homologation form near the top of this thread).
Jon Mello
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 03:35:17 AM »
Not Camaro, but speaks to Titus Trans Am cars...    
Attached photo is of the intake/carbs supposedly from one of the Mustangs used by Titus during his '67 championship winning season.. alongside a weber setup which ran at Lemans...  (Photo made from the Dan Case collection of Ford parts).. :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:36:14 AM by Jon Mello »
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

anything