Author Topic: Body color  (Read 9924 times)

jruff5585

• View Profile
Body color
« on: February 06, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »
I have a 68 z28 that I purchased new. I ordered it tuxedo black it came to the dealer green I took delivery of the car because I did not want to wait for a black car. I am going to restore the car the paint code is black the protecto plate code is black. I have pictures registrations every thing to document the this car was painted the wrong color at the factory. Is there anyone at GM to call. or can anyone tell me what color to paint this car green or black

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Re: Body color
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:08:09 PM »
Paint it black - we'll never tell ! 

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 09:16:45 PM »
Interesting issue.
If you are restoring the car and want it to be as "correct" as possible, then technically it should be restored to the way it left the factory.  However, I can see the exterior color 'mistake' being a controversial item.  Do you plan on having the car judged at a national level?  If so, you will have to have some pretty serious documentation to prove that it was a factory mistake.  If this is the case, you may want to contact someone like Jerry MacNeish to discuss the documentation you have and paint color impact on judging and/or value.

With all that said, I say if you really wanted a black car and the trim tag and POP shows black, why not restore the car to the way you wanted it in the first place.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

IZRSSS

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 09:18:22 PM »
I'd be interested to hear from the heavy weights. You could have a one of a kind foul-up. At any rate I would have to go with my gut on this one and say stick to what the POP indicates.

BTW, do you have anything from the dealership that states they made the mistake on the paint color?

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 01:05:57 AM »
Is this a January of 68 built car?  Black was discontinued in Jan of 68 and Rallye Green and British Green were added to the color lineup.  Don't know if there is any instructions to the Factory as how to handle a car ordered in 1967 as black but didn't get built until 68, like all cars ordered as black will be painted ?? green, or if they would be treated as a special paint car coded O-O and actually painted black.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 01:47:09 AM »
Welcome!

Post a photo of your trim tag. IF it was built after black was discontinued as a standard color, I would be tempted to paint it green. If you have no documentation to support wrong paint color and you paint it green you will be setting yourself up for grief at shows from those who love to tear apart other peoples cars. If you have good documentation, I would be tempted to paint it green as it was delivered. In the end it is your car, and your choice. Whatever you do, I would take a load of photos beforehand.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »
Sequoia Green, British Racing Green, or Rally Green?
Which color does the Cowl Tag Indicate?
Do you have the Order Sheet where you ordered the car showing Black as the color? 
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

jruff5585

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:56:42 PM »
The car is Rally Green I have pic of the tag the paint code is -- 

jruff5585

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 10:58:53 PM »
next time I get home I will get pic of the proto plate and trim tag

jruff5585

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 11:02:02 PM »
I am trying to find the order sheet it is some where

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 12:48:30 AM »
The car is Rally Green I have pic of the tag the paint code is --  

If the cowl tag in the pic is yours, you just opened up a whole new can of worms...your car is "Special Paint" {--}. I'm afraid the cowl tag isn't going to give you the information you are looking for, or the POP. Special Paint is ordered when a customer wants another color other than the standard Camaro colors. These are typically GM paint codes, but what I have learned is that this isn't always the case. The color could have been ordered from just about any source. I might be wrong, but my research also suggests, SP colors are not indicated on any documents that came with your car.

I would get a GM paint chart for '68 and see which Special Paint colors were available that are close to what you think your car is or was. Each of the SP codes are indicated by a dash {-} next to the colors on the chart.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:17:34 AM by IZRSSS »

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 12:39:44 PM »
Black would have been a special paint color in March of 68 since it was discontinued in January of 68.  The paint color wont be on the window sticker if you have that it will just indicate it has special paint and have a pricing code to indicate if it was an extra cost paint or not.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 03:55:14 PM »
- - PNT can also indicate standard striping was to be deleted.

Non-GM color on a special paint car is extremely rare. The only examples that come to mind are the two pink '68 Firebirds John De Lorean had built for his girlfriend. There are a few other pink cars known.
Learning more and more about less and less...

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 08:43:04 PM »
I believe there were also some fleet purchases with quantities done in colors not standard GM. Mostly trucks or vans. I had a 52 3100 (essentially a suburban) with an odd greenish color underneath multiple repaints that I was told was originally a Colorado highway maintenance truck. Never did any research, and it's decades ago gone to the scrapper.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

IZRSSS

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 09:03:16 PM »
On a previous thread it was stated that special paint could be any custom color. Does this mean choosing a color from another GM product line not offered for Camaro?

Sorry jruff5585...didn't mean to side track ya...

anything