Author Topic: 69 Rally Sport parking light trim rings?  (Read 8373 times)

mopar346

• View Profile
69 Rally Sport parking light trim rings?
« on: February 17, 2011, 03:04:11 AM »
I saw them advertised on e-bay but I don't remember them as being original. Where they? anybody got any pictures?

Thanks in advance, Kevin

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: 69 Rally Sport parking light trim rings?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 03:12:41 AM »
Kevin,

Read this CRG thread...  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=5144.0

Paul

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 03:30:42 AM »
Great info, thanks. But it now muddies my water. My son's is a 12C Norwood car. So if I read correctly it wold have them, although not an absolute. A clue may be the fact that the originals are missing along with the tail lights and back up lights?!?!? However, the wiper motor, washer bottle, headlight switch, plumbing, canisters and inner fenders are in place, as well as the firewall hole being press cut. So by deductive reasoning, his car should have them, right? Any thoughts.

Thanks again, Kevin

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 02:15:41 PM »
I saw them advertised on e-bay but I don't remember them as being original. Where they? anybody got any pictures?

Thanks in advance, Kevin

Kevin
 This may help identify repop from OEM trim rings.
First off, I sold a set of used OEM trim rings a month or so ago, pictures are still up. look here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320627983682&viewitem=

And here are some shots of OEM vs Repop trim rings. The OEM trim ring has a slight turned up edge on the inside and out side edge, the repop's are more flat. Included is a photo of a OE set of lenses with the silver paint.

Hope this helps Mike

X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 05:44:28 PM »
Great info, thanks. But it now muddies my water. My son's is a 12C Norwood car. So if I read correctly it wold have them, although not an absolute. A clue may be the fact that the originals are missing along with the tail lights and back up lights?!?!? However, the wiper motor, washer bottle, headlight switch, plumbing, canisters and inner fenders are in place, as well as the firewall hole being press cut. So by deductive reasoning, his car should have them, right? Any thoughts.

Thanks again, Kevin

I believe so. They are no longer included in the description for RS equipment as of the 2 Jan 69 dealer ordering info.
Learning more and more about less and less...

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 11:41:32 PM »
Thanks guy, very good info. I see what you mean about the edges. Although I haven't messed with Camaros for 23 years, I cant believe I never noticed them.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 12:15:22 PM »
 Very good info, but I have a question about the argent paint, was this done on only RS lights or all models? I have a box of old lens and most of them have a trace of this paint (no trim rings).

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 01:13:16 PM »
Kevin
 IMO the silver was just on the OE ones with trim rings. In the last several years I have bought and restored a bunch of 69 Turn signal assy's. Sometimes they come withe the old lenses in tact. To date only the ones with the trim rings had silver paint on them.

Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 12:10:57 PM »
Thanks! 

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 03:24:18 PM »

Thanks again, Kevin

I believe so. They are no longer included in the description for RS equipment as of the 2 Jan 69 dealer ordering info.

But they were included with the description of the SS/RS Pace car... no?
Gary 9T4Z

94Z rag blower 491 rwhp (now 505!)
69 Pace Car, 70RS,91Z,91RS

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »
Nope. Z11 would not have them.

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
 :D We better notify the guys at the 'Heritage Museum'  Last time I looked they had them on USA 1
Gary 9T4Z

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 09:20:35 PM »
My 02B Z/28 had those and chrome tailpipes. I liked them. There are very few restored 1st gens that do not have a technically incorrect part or two.

I doubt there is anyone at the GM Heritage Museum that has anything beyond very general knowledge of a specific model. At the GM Photographic site there is a photo of a '69 Camaro with a '1970' tag.

9T4Z

• View Profile
    • Gary's Camaro
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 10:20:38 PM »
Exact wording when ordering a Pace car.... must order Rally Sport Equipment, which included concealed headlights, special grille, and special exterior accents. ($131.65)

I've gone through my pictures but cant find any clear shots from the original race... but I will post one when I can remember how to do it.....
When you own a particular model car, you tend to look at the same one's. I just can't buy it that there was no bright trim on the Pace Car park lamps as I've seen too many... I agree that so much time has passed that virtually everyone has seen some freshening up. I'd only be happy hearing from someone who owns one from day one.  My opinion is that the bright work was reserved and used on the Pace cars as part of the special exterior accents.

Here is a car that the previous owner obviously wasn't interested in restoring in any fashion... and it has the trim.  It is a documented find, not mine but I have other pics of the cowl tag etc.
I would not mind hearing from original or long term owners with bullet proof documentation that there was or wasn't trim on the park lamps.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115099132089091609481/Other69PaceCars?authkey=Gv1sRgCJDYx4nWqODKVg#5578496475740316146
Gary 9T4Z