Author Topic: 1967 without cowl tag  (Read 12266 times)

FASTBACK

• View Profile
1967 without cowl tag
« on: May 17, 2006, 01:06:03 PM »
I just purchased a '67 with all of the options of a RS/SS.  However, the cowl tag had been stolen years back and the options can't be confirmed?
Is there anything I can do to find out what the options were for this car and if it is really an RS/SS or can a cowl tag be replaced?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 08:29:30 PM by FASTBACK »

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 without cowl tag
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 08:23:05 PM »
First things first, do you have a clear title on it?  ???
Please tell us you didn't pay a fortune for it!  :o
List the VIN and any other numbers you can find.  8)
Look at the answer to this question: "What are the best sources of information and data on my car?" on this site at http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml  8)

A car without an original trim tag will always be questionable.  But if you're looking for a good driver and don't need to recoop a fortune for what you originally paid for it, then all this may work out fine.  ;D
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

FASTBACK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 09:12:32 PM »
Thanks for your help.
First question:  So far I haven't paid a dime for the car.  But if I did, what would you value 'a fortune'?
The car is absolutely beautiful, body perfect, disc brakes all around, working headlight buckets, new blue paint with white stripes, cowl induction hood, new tires, wheels, new interior including door panels and back package tray - excluding original front bucket seats (aftermarket seats - but original available).
Automatic car, lots of things done to the engine, very hot, 12 bolt posi rear end, rear spoiler. 
Running, driving, non power steering car.
All for under 13K.

I'll see if I can get the vin number from the owner so I can check it out as much as possible.
Thanks a lot for your help.  I'll keep everyone informed when any new details are available.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 09:29:07 PM »
Price sounds very fair. 

The current configuration is almost a given to not be original.  Probably why the cowl tag is missing in the first place. 

If it is as clean as you describe it, and you like it, it is worth what you value it to be.  It is very hard to find a 1st Gen Camaro in the condition you describe for $13K - regardless of what it is.  Just look at Hemmings Motor News or do a quick check on eBay or any other auction house dealing with 1st Gen Camaros.

If you like the car, if it is mechanically sound, and you are willing to part with the money, - go for it.  You are not buying the car to please anyone else.  You are buying it for your own personal enjoyment. 

You also are not buying it as an "original" or as a "pure investment".  It started life as something else and has been enhanced to its current condition - nothing wrong with that - people do it all the time - as long as no one tries to deceive by claiming it is something that it isn't.  From what you stated, and the selling price, doesn't sound like anyone is trying to deceive you.

As stated earlier, what is the VIN?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 09:42:03 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 12:49:35 AM »
OK, but you did say, "just purchased a '67". 
It certainly sounds like a decent deal for under 13K.  The missing cowl tag may explain the price.  A 67 SS could easily go above 20K, even in poorer shape than you are describing.

Do note what Richard said about why you are buying the car and your sense of investment.

Again, make sure there is a clear title.  You can buy a new cowl tag for it.  But that will impact the value and originality of the car.  No doubt you can get your money out of it and more later on, especially if you find someone who is looking for a driver, not an original show car.

In the end, many of us are driving cars with non-matching numbers, etc., including myself.  That doesn't make cruising any less fun!  Go for it!  And do post us some pictures.

FASTBACK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 12:09:21 PM »
Actually I'm buying 2 cars from the guy at the same time which makes it an even better value.  Thanks for the information, I'll give out the vin number and add pictures when I get the car and after your help, I will get the car.
Great Forum!
Thanks

bjr68z28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 05:01:06 PM »
Sounds like a decent deal.   Good luck with the purchase.   I'm actually in mourning, as I recently sold my '68Z.   It was a good investment, and those $$ are now in what I hope to be a better investment.   What is the other car you are buying along with the '67?

Bill

FASTBACK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 07:14:08 PM »
I'm getting a 66 Chevelle Wagon as well.  No rust, body straight except for 2 small areas, 400 sb, 350, console, ralleys, etc.  Good running driver and actually looks good too.

Dan

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 08:02:28 PM »
Post pictures of both...

FASTBACK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 07:04:17 PM »
anyone know why I can't post pictures?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 08:05:08 PM »
You cannot use "Quick Reply" below.  Click on the reply tab and on that reply page you will see "Additional Options".  That will allow you to "Browse" your computer and attach the pictures from there.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 08:16:42 PM »
There is a file size limit too of 128 Kbyte total.  Be sure to resize or modify the picture resolution so that the file size that you are trying to post is no larger than 128 KByte. 
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

FASTBACK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 08:32:27 PM »
I have finally been able to paste 2 pictures. 
I hope to get the car this weekend at which time I'll post the vin number if needed. 
Can you find out what the options were for a specific vin number?

anything