Author Topic: Courtesy Light Option  (Read 13235 times)

IZRSSS

Courtesy Light Option
« on: January 10, 2011, 12:34:21 PM »
My car came with RPO-U29 {under dash courtesy lights- pics below}. Can anyone tell me if this could be ordered seperately from RPO-ZJ9 {Auxilary lighting group, Coupe: ashtray, courtesy, glovebox, trunk & underhood}, or were these only available as a group?

I checked the ashtry & glovebox and found the whole-outs but no lights. I can't check the hood because its a repop. Are there any clues in the cowl or  trunk that would indicate this option was there? I just find it odd that the only existing lights for the group would be the underdash lighting.

Thanks.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Courtesy Light Option
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 03:02:04 PM »
The dealer ordering information indicates that courtesy lights were only included as part of the ZJ9 Auxiliary Lighting Group; courtesy lights aren't shown anywhere as a separate option. They could have been dealer-installed as an accessory item.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

RonM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:14:25 PM »
See if there is an orange glovebox light wire coming out of the underdash wiring bundle, although it was also part of the deluxe interior option at least on a '68. Hope this helps, RonM.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:51:21 PM »
The orange glovebox wire was part of the production dash harness on all cars so that won't help. (It was taped off if not used.)

U29 was only available as a stand alone factory option in 67.

For 68 and 69, it was part of the ZJ9 Auxiliary Lighting Group, but like John said above, it was also available as a dealer installed option (P/N 987256 for 68 and P/N 993607 for 69).

Ed
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:24:47 PM by bertfam »

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »
My U29 as a dealer installed option makes the most sense. Wish the dealers kept their grubby little hands off these cars. They certainly make things difficult to track.

Thanks for the help guys!

RonM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 08:32:40 PM »
Well, how about the fiber optic ash tray light then? Maybe it's stuffed up under the dash like it was on my car when I got it. Hope this helps, RonM.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 08:39:10 PM »
Each lamp is called out separately on the window sticker in '67.  In 68 and 69 it's just listed as ZJ9, and they are all included.

Jerry

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:55:29 PM »
Marty,
What bulb (#) is that?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 09:04:38 PM »
Ron...would it be too much trouble to post pics of the wire to your ashtray, maybe w/ a mirror aid? Pulled off the 4 bolts holding the tray together thinking I'd have a better look inside, no such luck. Too much stuff in the way behind it as well.

Jerry...sure hope your right.

Phillip...LT9 631.

Thanks guys!

RonM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 09:56:05 PM »
I haven't figured out the picture posting thing yet and it would be hard to take a picture with the dash assembled. On the '68 cars the ashtray light is part of one of the instrument light sockets, on my car the right tach light. The fiber optic light looks like a black 1/8'' or so wire about a foot long. I saw it while changing a flasher when I first got the car. I had to ask a friend what it was and he showed me the light at the end of it that plugs into a clip on the the top of the ashtray bracket. Hope this helps, RonM.

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Thanks again Ron...I'll do some more digging. In the mean time, let me ask you this...can you give me information concerning your light in the trunk? Where is it located? Measurements would be great, maybe I can find a whole for the mounting bracket. Not sure if the location in your 68 is the same for a 69 but its worth a shot.

RonM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 10:26:46 PM »
I don't have my trunk lid installed yet but the bracket mounts to a square hole about 10'' to the driver's side of the striker. Voltage is taken from a pigtail connector that also supplies the license plate light, but I remember from an earlier post that voltage is taken from other sources on other cars (might be worth a search). RonM

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 10:32:10 PM »
Marty, most of your measurement questions and drawings can be found in the AIM. If you don't have one, let me know and I'll scan in the pages for you, or you can download a PDF copy HERE. Be aware it's almost 40MB, so dial-up will be slow (if anyone still uses dial-up!!)

Ed
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:49:35 PM by bertfam »

IZRSSS

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 10:36:43 PM »
Wonderful...I have the AIM but nothing referencing ZJ9.

Thanks Ed!

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 10:41:47 PM »
No, you have to look under U25, U26, U27, U28 and U29.

Ed

anything