Author Topic: Engine value to Z28 owner  (Read 22326 times)

L78 steve

• View Profile
Re: Engine value to Z28 owner
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »
Some people dont care about numbers. So worth less to them. The people that do care? it depends how much they care and how deep their pockets are. Nowone can answer your question but the person with the car. Consider this, how much is the block worth without the car? I would be a nice guy and let it go for that. It will make you feel good inside and someday someone may be good to you. And no I don't own the car in question.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

67-Pacer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 04:48:04 AM »
Thanks All for your comments, this does help to give me some ideas as to how to proceed!

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 09:07:02 PM »
If I needed the original block for my Z and someone wanted to sell it to me I'd be interested to a point. If the party wanting to sell the block to me made me feel like I was being held hostage because they had something I could not get anywhere else, I would get PO'ed and tell the party to forget it. It becomes a pride/ego thing at that point. I agree with L78 Steve.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 09:15:58 PM »
In my mind, a better question to ask would be why wouldn't you be satisfied (and extremely happy to help someone out) by offering to sell them the original engine block for their car at an amount = to $$$ you currently have invested in the block  + a reasonable profit (20-40%)?  You are working this way to hard.  This isn't something you get a chance to do every day.  Make a reasonable profit, take pride in yourself, and call it a day..
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

67-Pacer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 09:27:20 PM »
amount = to $$$ you currently have invested in the block  + a reasonable profit (20-40%)? 
The block came with a Z28 that was involved in a warehouse fire.  So, what I have into it is basically a '69 Z28.  What's that worth?  I'm not trying to bend someone over, but am just asking what someone would reasonably pay for this.  Obviously each person has their own idea, I'm just trying to find out what that might be. 

Here's an engine I found on craigslist for $10k. 
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/2064308660.html
Is that reasonable???  That seems a bit high to me...

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 05:23:26 AM »
10K is a pipe dream. Maybe if it was an all-original complete engine.
Kurt S
CRG

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 12:38:46 PM »
This is complicated because there is only one block, one buyer and only one seller. If I was the buyer I would at a minimum ask for pictures of the casting numbers and stamps before any money or negotiations would take place just to verify the authenticity of the block.

In my mind, the buyer probably will determine the price. It seems that the buyer here would be the only person interested in paying above the value of a generic z/28 block with good dates. Everyone else would be out at maybe $1500 or so?  I can imagine a scenario where the buyer would dig his heels in at some figure with a reasonable margin above market price for a non-numbers matching z/28 block and let the seller decide if he needs the money or not. The seller can either take the money now or you both can exchange contact information. The seller is left to store the block for a period of time and waits for the car owner to maybe sell the car and start the processs all over.  That might take a lot of time and it might not be worth the effort.

The block owner can offer it to the car owner for $2500 and see if you both can live with that. That is a win-win for both parties. The block is not worth more than that to any other buyer and it is worth more than that to the car owner once it is together with the car. Either way, everybody wins and another orphan is reunited with it's original chassis.

-Mark.

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 03:20:41 PM »
In my opinon, the value of the engine is just that.
It has a market value set by recent comparable sales.
The extra value to the Z owner would be for documentation of his car.

If the Z has no paperwork then the original engine would change a un-documented car to a documented car and that will be a good investment to the Z owner.
If the Z has its pop, window sticker, or dealer paperwork, etc. then the engine does not change a un-documented car to a documented car so will not be as valuable to the Z owner.
(still great to have original engine and will still add value to the Z)

I hope this engines can get re-united to the car.

jonboy1216

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 03:50:32 PM »
i think 500 bucks above market value and everybody sleeps well at night after the deal.

black69

• View Profile
    • my_car
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 08:54:07 AM »
Ask the guy if he would sell the car to you, and in the end this could be the best outcome. No bickering over engine price.  I would do that first and not even offer selling the motor. In todays economy, who knows what might happen if you ask.

If you try to sell it, figure on a 10% min value gain. You are talking a safe 4K. He should not argue with that a all, if he does, he does not want the original engine anyways. offer to split the difference (win win).  So add atleast 2-3K to the engine, beyond its core value as a nice Z29 motor with a nice date code. 

If you find out the car has no documentation, you do in a sense vindicate the car, so again, 2K premium sounds reasonable to request.

If you can't make a deal, just part ways nicely, and ask him for atleast a shot at the car if it ever comes up forsale. 

-bob

Black 69L78. 4:10, RS/SS/ZL2, 'black painted tail panel different than body','red hockey stripe w/ v-top exception'
Blue 68Z28. 4:10, Kustom 'tunnel tube' headers, Nickey sold.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 04:54:28 PM »
Its a block not a complete engine, so you not going to pull 4K out of it.  If a complete numbers matching engine adds  5K to the sale price of a Z how much more does the owner need to spend to get all the other parts?  Does he have the other parts?  Does he even care about  a numbers matching car, or is what he has good enough for his putposes.  Deduct all the other stuff he needs to have a complete numbers matching engine and thats the price and I think you will find it is somewhere in the 1K to 1500 dollar range max.

I'd love to have the original engine in my car but guess what, I wouldn't even spend 1K for the complete engine if someone miraculously found it,  (which based on the condition of the rest of the car when i bought it 27 years ago, isnt going to happen) its not that big of a deal to me.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

67-Pacer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 05:20:54 PM »
Thanks all for your feedback.  This has helped to give me some ideas on which way I might want to go.  (Bob, I do like your idea.) 

Have a great Thanksgiving!

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 06:24:41 PM »
Even if there engine does not interest him, I would take the best possible digital photos, and give them to him after all the smoke clears. Won't cost you anything, can only help any existing documentation for the Z.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

67-Pacer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 06:36:29 PM »
Good idea Tom.  Thanks.

black69

• View Profile
    • my_car
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2010, 06:54:43 AM »
I myself would not give anyone any hi res pictures of the original engine , unless they are serious about buying it.  I doubt everyone knows how to create the broach marks and characters on a block, so why give up the treasure map.  If he does not want to consider the block, just call it a day and follow the path of 'less is more'. You have to consider he could replicate that block if you never come to an agreement. My 2 cents.
Black 69L78. 4:10, RS/SS/ZL2, 'black painted tail panel different than body','red hockey stripe w/ v-top exception'
Blue 68Z28. 4:10, Kustom 'tunnel tube' headers, Nickey sold.

anything