Author Topic: Chambered exhaust hanger  (Read 22206 times)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chambered exhaust hanger
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 05:53:24 PM »
Chambered is not a performance exhaust system. Many years ago Bill Porterfield dyno'd a ZL-1 engine in varous states of tune but through the stock chambered system. For the last run they pulled it off; picked up 80 hp.

http://www.camaros.org/copo.shtml
Learning more and more about less and less...

IZRSSS

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 06:06:24 PM »
Why was the chambered exhaust originally developed? Was it being passed off as a HP booster or has this misnomer developed on its own based on preception rather than facts?

Thanks for the link William

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 09:14:46 PM »
Why was the chambered exhaust originally developed? Was it being passed off as a HP booster or has this misnomer developed on its own based on preception rather than facts?

The chambered exhaust system was a Sales & Marketing idea, not an Engineering idea, just like the sidepipes on Corvettes.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 10:06:34 PM »

The chambered exhaust system was a Sales & Marketing idea, not an Engineering idea, just like the sidepipes on Corvettes.

I actually have a Gardner chambered system I had on my Black Z for a month. I replaced it with a Gardner transverse system because I am not particularly fond of the sound. Its been stored away for 5 years...I guess I should sell it. I think chambered sound a bit better on a big block, but certainly not a performer.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

IZRSSS

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 10:54:23 PM »
Well that pretty much blows that system out of the water.  What are your thoughts on a Gardner Exhaust System?

Thanks John and Steve.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 02:11:07 PM »

This baffles me regarding power loss using the chambered system. You would have thought some testing would have been done to validate the efficiency of the system prior making it standard on all their HP model. In actuality Chevrolet choked the life/performance out of these cars with this system. A ZL1 does have a lot  more flow due to its displacement and compression, so it would be effected the most by the system. 
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 04:27:44 PM »
This baffles me regarding power loss using the chambered system. You would have thought some testing would have been done to validate the efficiency of the system prior making it standard on all their HP model.

It wasn't about efficiency - it was all about the sound, as it was on Chevelles and Corvettes. Spoilers and stripes didn't make cars go any faster either, but they sold cars and the options made money; don't confuse Marketing with Engineering.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 09:11:14 PM »
IZRSSS, gradner is the best exhaust system if you are looking for originality. if you go to their website, they tell you flat out if you are looking for more performance, go elsewhere. if you want originality, they are it!
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

IZRSSS

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 11:07:48 PM »
 ;D :D ;)!!! Any idea on the cost for an L48?

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 03:31:39 AM »
I paid $1180 plus tax in 2004.
Steve Shauger

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 03:38:25 AM »
I have a couple options to choose from when I finally order. The guy said between $1700 to 2 grand.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 04:11:30 AM »
Thanks Steve & Dan! Not bad for a factory look-a-like and performance to boot!

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 09:43:50 PM »
John,
 I figured since Mark Donahue used them on his 69 Camaro in the trans am series, that the spoilers were engineering at work to make the car more efficient on the track, right?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 01:56:13 PM »
Back on exhaust systems, particularly hangers.
I have all my original hangers.
The screws removed from the side hangers are 1/4 sheet metal screws.  Is this correct?
AIM shows 1/4 self tapping, but doesn't id whether it is a machine thread or a sheet metal thread.

Thanks again to all you guys who know.

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 10:44:29 PM »
Gary pulled his originals and they are self tapping machine thread 1/4 inch.

anything