Author Topic: Restoring 6 Cylinder 69 Camaro. Should I keep it original or COPO Clone it?  (Read 16302 times)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Hi there I just posted as a new memeber that I am just starting to restore my 69 Camaro. Just curious what the the guys on this site think. It is pretty original all numbers matching. It is currently white. Trying to decide if I should change the color and drop in a big block or restore it to stock.

All advice appreciated. Thanks

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:17:15 AM by 69Z28FREAK »
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

tim69camaro

• View Profile
I prefer stock. My brother recent purchased a truck with a six cylinder three speed manual on the column, I really like it. Of course it is up to you and your preference.
Tim Bailey

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
I would keep it, and maybe tweak the 6. The vin will always show it as a 6. There are too many clones already.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

IZRSSS

I agree with Tom. There are too many clones out there and for the most part donor cars aren't as nice as yours (as least from what I can see). Keep it stock. IMO

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Keep it original!
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

tmodel66

• View Profile
Original of course.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

77thor

• View Profile
Wow, it looks in great shape.
I agree with everyone else so far.... keep it original.
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Thanks guys. I might just do that. Keep it original that is. I have got a lot of advice over at Team Camaro and I was planning on cloning it and painting it Silver and upgrading the motor. How much would a car like mine be worth. Either way right now I am going to fix a few rsut issue, already have actually and detail the engine bay and subframe. Will changing it from stock hurt the value or increase it. That is the question. It is numbers matching by the way.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Keep it original!

Paul

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
Wow a 6 cylinder!
Gotta be rarer than any COPO today. :P
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Re: Restoring 6 Cylinder 69 Camaro. Should I keep it original or COPO Clone it?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 08:35:21 AM »
It might be rare, but it is not worth more than a COPO clone I think. I am slightly into a restoration and I am wondering if I should keep the original color as well as the motor. I am not touching the interior, but I am painting the subframe and engine compartment as well as the motor as its in very rough original shape. Going to paint the body and really wanting to switch from white. IS that a bad idea?
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »
You hit the nail right on the head with  "I think" That's where the rub comes in. Everybody has their own opinions.  I would walk around a COPO clone to get to a real nice original car. Clones are a dime a dozen and anybody with money can have one. I guess I'm just old school.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 02:28:57 PM »
If you are trying to gain support from this site for anything other than Original  I don't think its going to happen. Aside from mild modifications this is why this site is here. Even though you have received several comments in favor of; "Keep it Original ", you are still leaning in towards cloning it. As for its more valuable as a Copo Clone ???. If you are considering this change as an investment, take a look at what copo clones are selling for...around 50% (probably less) of the total investment.

Bottom line, its your car...do whatever you are comfortable with and whatever makes you happy.

IMO...for what its worth...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 03:49:57 PM by IZRSSS »

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 03:11:53 PM »
Reading about this car on Team Camaro leads one to believe this car will not stay original, color or drivetrain. Which is more appropriate for that site. There are plenty of non original cars in disrepair that are good candidates for modification, especially in today's market. Not many original, non butchered sixes left. But as stated, it's completely up to the owner.

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »
Keep it original. 

anything