Author Topic: Restoring 6 Cylinder 69 Camaro. Should I keep it original or COPO Clone it?  (Read 16316 times)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Hi there I just posted as a new memeber that I am just starting to restore my 69 Camaro. Just curious what the the guys on this site think. It is pretty original all numbers matching. It is currently white. Trying to decide if I should change the color and drop in a big block or restore it to stock.

All advice appreciated. Thanks

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 05:17:15 AM by 69Z28FREAK »
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

tim69camaro

• View Profile
I prefer stock. My brother recent purchased a truck with a six cylinder three speed manual on the column, I really like it. Of course it is up to you and your preference.
Tim Bailey

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
I would keep it, and maybe tweak the 6. The vin will always show it as a 6. There are too many clones already.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

IZRSSS

I agree with Tom. There are too many clones out there and for the most part donor cars aren't as nice as yours (as least from what I can see). Keep it stock. IMO

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Keep it original!
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

tmodel66

• View Profile
Original of course.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

77thor

• View Profile
Wow, it looks in great shape.
I agree with everyone else so far.... keep it original.
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Thanks guys. I might just do that. Keep it original that is. I have got a lot of advice over at Team Camaro and I was planning on cloning it and painting it Silver and upgrading the motor. How much would a car like mine be worth. Either way right now I am going to fix a few rsut issue, already have actually and detail the engine bay and subframe. Will changing it from stock hurt the value or increase it. That is the question. It is numbers matching by the way.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Keep it original!

Paul

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
Wow a 6 cylinder!
Gotta be rarer than any COPO today. :P
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Re: Restoring 6 Cylinder 69 Camaro. Should I keep it original or COPO Clone it?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 08:35:21 AM »
It might be rare, but it is not worth more than a COPO clone I think. I am slightly into a restoration and I am wondering if I should keep the original color as well as the motor. I am not touching the interior, but I am painting the subframe and engine compartment as well as the motor as its in very rough original shape. Going to paint the body and really wanting to switch from white. IS that a bad idea?
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »
You hit the nail right on the head with  "I think" That's where the rub comes in. Everybody has their own opinions.  I would walk around a COPO clone to get to a real nice original car. Clones are a dime a dozen and anybody with money can have one. I guess I'm just old school.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 02:28:57 PM »
If you are trying to gain support from this site for anything other than Original  I don't think its going to happen. Aside from mild modifications this is why this site is here. Even though you have received several comments in favor of; "Keep it Original ", you are still leaning in towards cloning it. As for its more valuable as a Copo Clone ???. If you are considering this change as an investment, take a look at what copo clones are selling for...around 50% (probably less) of the total investment.

Bottom line, its your car...do whatever you are comfortable with and whatever makes you happy.

IMO...for what its worth...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 03:49:57 PM by IZRSSS »

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 03:11:53 PM »
Reading about this car on Team Camaro leads one to believe this car will not stay original, color or drivetrain. Which is more appropriate for that site. There are plenty of non original cars in disrepair that are good candidates for modification, especially in today's market. Not many original, non butchered sixes left. But as stated, it's completely up to the owner.

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »
Keep it original. 

tom

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 05:08:52 PM »
A COPO clone may be worth more on resale, but the cost of the cloning may be more than the difference in value. It's really easy to give away an expensive project. I went through much the same thought process on my 307 glide. It will now stay close to original, and what I change will be reversable. I am even going to keep it white much to my suprise.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
o

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 06:59:20 AM »
Reading about this car on Team Camaro leads one to believe this car will not stay original, color or drivetrain. Which is more appropriate for that site. There are plenty of non original cars in disrepair that are good candidates for modification, especially in today's market. Not many original, non butchered sixes left. But as stated, it's completely up to the owner.

I have to admit that since joining this site I am starting to think differently. I know I had an original plan, but I may reconsider. The car is all original except the paint. Do you think I should keep it the same color and keep the six. I am starting to think that might be a good idea. Even the spare tire is original. I guess there is no harm in freshening it up. Like I planned to do with the subframe and engine bay, firewall ect.

Car has already had one repaint so I might as well paint it again. I would like to add a spoiler front and rear as well as put a set of multi leafs in the rear. The car drives real nice and is a smooth as glass. Perhaps I should keep this as a nice driver and buy a cheap basket case that I can build from scratch. I am learning so much from this present build. Besides if I paint it I might not have enough money for any drive train upgrades. Always appreciate the advice Scott.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 07:02:45 AM »
A COPO clone may be worth more on resale, but the cost of the cloning may be more than the difference in value. It's really easy to give away an expensive project. I went through much the same thought process on my 307 glide. It will now stay close to original, and what I change will be reversable. I am even going to keep it white much to my suprise.

Hey Tom your car is white? Can you post any pictures? I am really curious. I love learning about other cars. Would love to hear more about your car.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 01:38:58 PM »
If money is tight for you then stock will be your only option. Do you have any idea what it will cost to COPO clone?
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

tom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 02:17:38 PM »
Mostly white, with significant rust. Much has been disassembled. Many parts in bins. Two kids in college, and unemployed. Progress is totally stalled till better times. While I have a number of detail photos, some worse than others, I can not find any shots of the whole car, or major portions. This is the closest I could find.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
o

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 02:30:20 PM »
I guess there is no harm in freshening it up. Like I planned to do with the subframe and engine bay, firewall ect.

Car has already had one repaint so I might as well paint it again. I would like to add a spoiler front and rear as well as put a set of multi leafs in the rear. The car drives real nice and is a smooth as glass. Perhaps I should keep this as a nice driver and buy a cheap basket case that I can build from scratch. I am learning so much from this present build. Besides if I paint it I might not have enough money for any drive train upgrades. Always appreciate the advice Scott.
There's a difference between restored and original. The car is original right now except for paint. "Freshening' the underhood is restoring it - to me, that changes the car completely. I'd take the car as it sits. Restored, I'd probably pass on it.

I like the looks of the exterior. How many white/blue cars do you ever see? No less without spoilers. Find any 69 without spoilers (other than the Z on the homepage!) - everyone adds them!

What are you fixing with the multileafs?

Your car, but you don't find originals like this very often.
Kurt S
CRG

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 04:03:03 PM »
You'd have to see the car on Team Camaro. Nearly every panel needs work including front and rear window channel repair, belly is solid. Most suggest COPO or Z cloning, and everything else that is miles away from keeping is as it was.  It would be nice to see it stay as it was. As everyone says, it's the owner's car.

lasereye

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 06:46:59 PM »

[/quote]
 Find any 69 without spoilers (other than the Z on the homepage!) - everyone adds them!
[/quote]

Found the second one. ;D Spoiler, smoiler; they're still great cars without them. IMO

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 03:21:15 AM »
I guess there is no harm in freshening it up. Like I planned to do with the subframe and engine bay, firewall ect.

There's a difference between restored and original. The car is original right now except for paint. "Freshening' the underhood is restoring it - to me, that changes the car completely. I'd take the car as it sits. Restored, I'd probably pass on it.

I like the looks of the exterior. How many white/blue cars do you ever see? No less without spoilers. Find any 69 without spoilers (other than the Z on the homepage!) - everyone adds them!

What are you fixing with the multileafs?

Your car, but you don't find originals like this very often.

Hi Kurt I am at the point where I can stop and just clean it up. However as Scott has said, it has been painted before and I just changed one quarter panle and the other was changed before I got it. Instead of painting the firewall I could just clean it. I have fixed the rust areas, which had to be fixed. since has been painted before, painting it again can't hurt it. Why don't you check it out Kurt and let me know what you think. I have painted some of the underhood parts already.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 04:18:09 AM »
Mostly white, with significant rust. Much has been disassembled. Many parts in bins. Two kids in college, and unemployed. Progress is totally stalled till better times. While I have a number of detail photos, some worse than others, I can not find any shots of the whole car, or major portions. This is the closest I could find.

Hey Tom mine was simular condition under the bondo. What part of the country are you in. What are the other details on your car, interior, motor etc. What are you plans for the car?
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 04:22:16 AM »
If you are trying to gain support from this site for anything other than Original  I don't think its going to happen. Aside from mild modifications this is why this site is here. Even though you have received several comments in favor of; "Keep it Original ", you are still leaning in towards cloning it. As for its more valuable as a Copo Clone ???. If you are considering this change as an investment, take a look at what copo clones are selling for...around 50% (probably less) of the total investment.

Bottom line, its your car...do whatever you are comfortable with and whatever makes you happy.

IMO...for what its worth...

Thanks Marty I appreciate the opinion. I am starting to lean towards keeping it original if it is not too late. I was going to keep it all original but it had a few serious rust issues that needed to be addressed. if you check out the TC thread you will see where I am at.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 09:49:54 AM »
Hi there!
Very nice lookin car as it is!  :)
....have I missed something here or what is the original color from the trim tag?

I agree with most people here that you should keep the car original and make a resoration where it´s needed, no more!
COPO´s are every where but a slant six is very unusual, at least here in Sweden thin k we got one(1) !

...but still, it´s up to you!  ;)
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

IZRSSS

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 01:24:44 PM »

Thanks Marty I appreciate the opinion. I am starting to lean towards keeping it original if it is not too late. I was going to keep it all original but it had a few serious rust issues that needed to be addressed. if you check out the TC thread you will see where I am at.

I took a peak at your TC thread and it looks like you are off and running. Its Nice to know members are guiding you through the process. Again...in the end, your decision is the only one that matters. Good luck with your build.

tom

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 04:38:26 PM »
I'm in NJ. Most of the details are in my signature. X11, Ll4(307), powerglide, Style Trim(Z21) Special Interior(Z23) 727 - Black standard interior with white seats, 50 B - Dover white with black vinyl top - Last two owners did not know of the missing vinyl top, previous owners have swapped out the radio for aftermarket, added 15 x 7 Monte Carlo rally wheels, D80 spoilers, I have added a cowl hood (still have the old hood), I bought the back to a fold down seat. Prior to previous owner it was crunched bad enough to have the front subframe and skin replaced. I have a tpi system off an 87 firebird that will replace the 2bbl carb when it gets put back together. I believe the engine and trans are original but have not checked for partial vins. Much of the interior needs replacement. but I did drive it home.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
o

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 04:51:12 AM »
At this point, it's pretty much a frame-on resto. Original parts, but restored.

Me, I'd paint it as original: white, no stripes, no spoiler.

TC thread: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186787
Kurt S
CRG