Author Topic: Camaro Nationals Moving  (Read 25743 times)

Carlisle Rick

• View Profile
Camaro Nationals Moving
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 02:08:59 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to express your thoughts about the GM Nationals. I apologize for the stories and rumors currently circulating the internet regarding the future of the event and Camaros in particular. It appears Jerry has some misinformation and is perpetuating inaccurate information. So please read the following regarding the Camaro Nationals. And truth be told, we have only positive feelings and respect for both the ACA and the MCC for 12 great years in Carlisle. I believe we're all here for the same thing, to enjoy the Camaro and foster and grow the hobby.

As the event manager of the GM Nationals I can share some facts with you. The GM Nationals is actually one of our fastest growing shows and we certainly want that trend to continue. Camaros are a large part of that growth with about 500 registered Camaros in attendance in 2010 (that does not account for the other 100+ that were display only Camaros). As a passionate Camaro owner and enthusiast I probably work a bit harder to make sure Camaro continues to lead the growth at the event.

I was in Vegas attending SEMA, the industry's largest trade show when the ACA made their show plans public. By their own words, they have asked the MCC to present the Camaro Nationals for them in 2011 at a location other than the Carlisle Fairgrounds. They chose to announce on their web site and did not copy me or Carlisle Events. It was first reported to me by industry professionals at SEMA after appearing on various forums.

I was not able to respond sooner due to the time difference and my responsibilities at SEMA. However, after the news broke, I did have the opportunity to chat with a number of industry professionals representing manufacturers, sponsors, electronic media, print magazines and participants associated with the hobby. We have their assurances that they will continue to support our event both in the short and long terms.

Of those I spoke with at SEMA, all think it is unfortunate that the ACA & MCC chose to conduct their inaugural event on the same date as the GM Nationals. Making Camaro enthusiasts choose between two events is never a good thing. Rest assured there will be Camaros at the GM Nationals in 2011 and beyond. However, there will not be a Camaro Nationals presented by the ACA. Even so, we will continue to reach out to ALL Camaro clubs and enthusiasts to reassure ALL GM enthusiasts that the show will go on and be better than ever.

We are currently reviewing the show logistics with the entire Carlisle Events team, as we do every post-season. We are fast preparing Camaro classes for posting on our web site to facilitate registration. Don’t forget about our Gate-N-Go procedures allowing speedy entry to the grounds if pre-registered by the cutoff date. To register for the GM Nationals, or for more info and the most up to date news head to our web site (CarlisleEvents.com).

If you have any thoughts you would like to share, please do so. I will take them into consideration as we continue to plan the 2011 event. I recommend that if you want accurate, current and concise information that you contact me directly using the following resources:

My email (RickM@CarlisleEvents.com)
Office phone (717-243-7855 x124)
GM Nationals Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/GMNationals).

Thanks & please feel free to contact me at any time with any thoughts and/or concerns.
Rick Markko

4Camaros

• View Profile
Re: Camaro Nationals Moving
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 06:11:24 PM »
We kept the date the same because folks have already planned to go to the Camaro Nationals the weekend after Father's Day - when the Nationals have been held for the past several years. Since some people have to put in for their vacation time months ahead, it didn't seem feasable to change the date.

Thanks for the welcome! I will post more information as we firm up details.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 10:23:24 PM »
Frederick should be a great place for the Camaro Nationals. Everything I've heard about the event sounds like an improvement. I plan to be there.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

4Camaros

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 08:04:26 AM »
We will look forward to seeing you there!

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 05:03:54 PM »
Carlisle Rick can you please help clarify something for us? You went through the effort to register on this website, suggest these are just false rumours and yet did nothing to clarify any of the allegations. Seem very odd to me that you would go through this much effort just to put a sales spin on people attending your event....There are some very suggestive posts here and other website from very reputable Camaro people, people I myself have done business with and know their word is everything. Maybe take some time and post something worth reading, not just a PR response to the posts. I wish you best of luck with the GM Nationals but I know for my dollar I want to be around other Camaro folks.
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

Carlisle Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 08:14:16 PM »
Quote: "restore-z28: Carlisle Rick can you please help clarify something for us? You went through the effort to register on this website, suggest these are just false rumours and yet did nothing to clarify any of the allegations. Seem very odd to me that you would go through this much effort just to put a sales spin on people attending your event....There are some very suggestive posts here and other website from very reputable Camaro people, people I myself have done business with and know their word is everything. Maybe take some time and post something worth reading, not just a PR response to the posts. I wish you best of luck with the GM Nationals but I know for my dollar I want to be around other Camaro folks."

It's not productive to engage in dialogues such as this with nicknames. That is why my screen name identifies me. There are indeed many reputable Camaro folks in this hobby. I have been around this industry since the 80's and know most of the players and their reputations. Some just may not have accurate info and speak without complete knowledge of the facts.  I have provided multiple sources in my initial post for those interested in getting accurate information. My personal interest is in the state of the hobby. We all need to stick together to foster growth and keep the hobby strong & healthy. We cannot do that by challenging one another with concficts. We wish ALL clubs the very best with their shows and events.

restore-z28

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 10:46:20 PM »
Rick, I did not mean to offend you by using your "user name". So what are the facts? I have re-read your initial post and it does nothing but attempt to provide damage control around the Camaro Nationals moving. The rest is just semantics on your part to avoid the true issues of what Jerry has suggested in his posts. I agree with you that we need to ensure the viability of the hobby however, you also strike me as a person who knows the damage social media sites like this could cause and decided to go into damage control. Sorry my degree was in Finance and not English but this is how your posts are resonating with me. I truly wish you all the best at the GM Nationals and hope maybe one day the truth will come out for all to hear.

Sonny
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

Carlisle Rick

• View Profile
Camaro Nationals Moving
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 11:10:22 PM »
Sonny, The offense is not in using MY screen name and none taken. That is why mine is very clear. Glad you used your name. Thanks for that and the best wishes for the GM Nationals!
Unfortunately you are correct in that a lot of misinformation gets spread around sites like this, even though that is not what they were intended for. And yes, at times innocent folks get hurt by that misinformation.
It is not my intention to do that or offer any negative comments about anyone and I would hope the folks from the ACA would do the same. Anything less serves no useful purpose to the hobby.
Like I said we had a great 12 years with the ACA. And like I said, I believe it is not in the best interest of the hobby or enthusiasts to have conflicting dates when it can be avoided.
Also unfortunately, these sites were not designed for more than short blurbs or blogs. My intention is to offer a direct connection to me for ANYONE interested in hearing accurate information. Please feel free to call and we can chat. Perhaps with the time and a free exchange of info my statement will be more clear? In the meantime, whatever show or shows you attend, thanks for supporting the hobby! Hope to chat with you soon.
Thanks!
Rick

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 02:06:47 AM »
For some reason this sentance taken from Rick Markko's opening statement sounds final for the Camaro Nationals at Carlisle.

"Rest assured there will be Camaros at the GM Nationals in 2011 and beyond. However, there will not be a Camaro Nationals presented by the ACA.
If that doesn't sound like, play our way or no way, I don't know what does.

I have to agree that his entire statement was designed for damage control.

As a participant and judge for the past 11 years I fully support this move. There have been some bonehead moves at Carlisle the past few years that just didn't make sense and if this is what it takes to make it a true "Camaro Nationals" so be it.  Let's not forget it was the Camaro's @ Carlisle show that started it all and the GM Nationals came years later.

Maybe Carlisle can use the unused third of the showfield as on site parking.  ;D

Rick H.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 05:41:02 AM »
  However, there will not be a Camaro Nationals presented by the ACA. "If that doesn't sound like, play our way or no way, I don't know what does."

I didn't read it that way at all. They said they were going elsewhere and he agreed that they wouldnt be at Carlisle. Is the big bitch from the Camaro Club that they were being parked away from the building where the indoor judging is ?  I think I was told that that area is for vendors just like at other Carlisle shows. Is that correct ?

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 12:45:52 PM »
For some reason this sentence taken from Rick Markko's opening statement sounds final for the Camaro Nationals at Carlisle.

"Rest assured there will be Camaros at the GM Nationals in 2011 and beyond. However, there will not be a Camaro Nationals presented by the ACA.
If that doesn't sound like, play our way or no way, I don't know what does.

I have to agree that his entire statement was designed for damage control.

As a participant and judge for the past 11 years I fully support this move. There have been some bonehead moves at Carlisle the past few years that just didn't make sense and if this is what it takes to make it a true "Camaro Nationals" so be it.  Let's not forget it was the Camaro's @ Carlisle show that started it all and the GM Nationals came years later.

Maybe Carlisle can use the unused third of the showfield as on site parking.  ;D

Rick H.

Damage control??? As Charley stated and I agree I do not see it that way. Not taking a side but early on Carlisle was being used as the bad guy with information that to this date has not been substantiated. The best thing for any of us to receive are facts. Carlisle has built many great events over the years (we miss you Chip) and I'm sure mistakes were made but there are "always two sides to a story and seldom are the unsolved issues/problems all with one side." It's unfortunate that many of the camaro clan including potential vendors and others will be having to make a choice due to the date scheduling. Reminds me how nicely Carlisle and Hershey events coincede as many patrons and vendors participate in both.  Here's wishing each of the great organizations with rich history continued success.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Carlisle Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 01:07:02 PM »
Charley is correct, my statement was required because the ACA decided to move their event and there were inquiries from Camaro enthusiasts regarding that fact and if there were going to be Camaro classes at the GM Nationals. It was simply the same message as the ACA/MCC statement. To let those Camaro enthusiasts know what is happening at our event and how to get more info. That is, the GM Nationals will include Camaro classes. Nothing more, nothing less. There really is no reason for anyone to make disparaging remarks about either organization. In reality we are different organizations presenting a car show on the same date. It is the choice of the enthusiasts of which to attend, based upon the amenities offered at each that appeals to them. I remain available and easy to reach for those that may have more comments or questions at the following sources:
Email: RickM@yahoo.com
Office: 717-422-5445
Thanks!
Rick

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 01:49:50 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I throughly enjoyed going to Carlisle every year but I go where the Camaro's go.

"Is the big bitch from the Camaro Club that they were being parked away from the building where the indoor judging is ?  I think I was told that that area is for vendors just like at other Carlisle shows. Is that correct ?"

Why would you put parts vendors where the high level Camaro judging is being conducted? Does that sound logical to you?

There obviously is alot more but the decision has been made. We'll just have to see how this plays out for both parties.

Rick H.

Carlisle Rick

• View Profile
Camaro Nationals Moving
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 02:36:51 PM »
"Is the big bitch from the Camaro Club that they were being parked away from the building where the indoor judging is ?  I think I was told that that area is for vendors just like at other Carlisle shows. Is that correct ?"

Why would you put parts vendors where the high level Camaro judging is being conducted? Does that sound logical to you?

There obviously is alot more but the decision has been made. We'll just have to see how this plays out for both parties.

Rick H.

Camaros were moved to the BIGGER field (west field, just inside Gate 3) to accommodate the growth! The east field was too small to park ALL Camaros.
Show classes & Manufacturers Midway are on the north side of Bldg. Y with Bldg. T to the south.
Feel free to call or email if you need more info.
Thanks!
Rick
Rick

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 02:41:19 PM »
I go to other Carlisle events and they refer to the area in question (original camaro show field) as "the manufacturers midway. All the other Carlisle events use this area for the large manufacturer/vendors because it is the only field with electric and water available and they require it.  The move was also due to space requirements.

I would also like to note the tone of all the post by the ACA, MCC and Carlisle have been very professional. To me the change in venue is unfortunate but the decision has been made and it time to move on and stop pointing fingers.

A big thanks is in order for both Karl Scheffy, Rick Gawel for forming the ACA- Camaro Nationals after the demise of the ICC /show. I don't want to forget Bud Scolastico for keeping the judging programs on track and for his tireless energy.

Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

anything