Author Topic: Camaro Nationals Moving  (Read 25738 times)

camaronut

• View Profile
Camaro Nationals Moving
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:45:27 PM »
From the Camaros.net website:

Here is the press release from the Maryland Camaro Club-

Hello Fellow Camaro Enthusiasts:

The Maryland Camaro Club would like to welcome all our fellow Camaro owners to the 13th Annual Camaro Nationals June 23 - 25, 2011.

As you are aware the American Camaro Association has chosen not to put on the Nationals and the M.C.C. (which has been the host club for the last 6 years) was asked by the A.C.A. to put on the Nationals. A.C.A. had a signed yearly exclusive agreement with Carlisle Productions which will not be renewed.

The American Camaro Association will serve as advisors and consultants to the Maryland Camaro Club and will be at the 2011 show.

M.C.C. will be presenting the Camaro Nationals at the Frederick Fairgrounds in Frederick, MD. The host hotel will be the Holiday Inn in Frederick about 4 miles from the show field. Frederick is located off I-70 and Route 15. Frederick is located in a very historic area with many National Historic sites easily within reach. Many Civil War Battlefields including Gettysburg as well as Washington D.C. and Baltimore are nearby. More information will be available in the near future.

Everything will be in place just as it has been the previous twelve years. All 51 classes will still be offered from Non-Judged through Concours classes. All the judges that you have known and seen in the past will be there to judge classes in 2011.

Let me reassure you that the only things that have changed are the club presenting the Camaro Nationals and the location. Nothing else will change, which is the number one goal of the show – to be the same show you have all known, enjoyed and attended over the years.

I’m sure many of you have questions and concerns: feel free to contact Bud Scolastico in the evenings at 610-921-3721 or email Bud at buds396@yahoo.com.

We look forward to seeing everyone in June and having another great show.

Best regards,

April Alderson
President of the Maryland Camaro Club

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Camaro Nationals Moving
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 03:37:02 AM »
This event will continue to have my support and my judges support.  Nothing will change in the judging ranks.  All will be the same.  New location with a fair grounds that will let us run the Camaro Nationals the right way.

It is very unfortunate that Carlisle Productions did not want to work with the ACA.  It's their loss.  One of the issues that really troubled me was moving the Camaro show field away from Y building.  That was a bad move by Carlisle.  I expresses my feelings with Carlisle staff stating that it broke up the continuity of our part of the show.  Many who attended did not know there were other cars in the Y building.  No common sense..........they continued to do things the Carlisle way........the wrong way. 

I have told many of my customers and will continue to spread the word...........

Jerry MacNeish
Vice President, Legends Judging   

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 11:22:05 AM »
Jerry, thanks for the info!  We were wondering what happened!  How is the camping oppertunities at the Frederick fair grounds? 

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 12:15:24 PM »

The camping arrangements are better than Carlisle from what I've been told.

I will post more about this issue when I get home for all of the Camaro sites.  I am using a small pocket computer here in Las Vegas.  I'm out here for the SEMA show this week and will be home on Saturday night.

Jerry

Barefoot Dave

• View Profile
    • Barefoot Dave
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 03:00:09 PM »
Maybe someone should talk to the Maryland Chevelle Club and see if they'll move their Annual Mid-Atlantic Chevelle Show & Swap Meet from North East Regional Park to Frederick too.

It's always the same weekend as the GM show at Carlisle and definitely had an effect on the turnout.....just a thought!
Dave Miller
Fairfax VA

69 SB Z-11
69 BB Z-10

www.barefootdave.com

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 05:03:49 PM »
Maybe someone should talk to the Maryland Chevelle Club and see if they'll move their Annual Mid-Atlantic Chevelle Show & Swap Meet from North East Regional Park to Frederick too.

It's always the same weekend as the GM show at Carlisle and definitely had an effect on the turnout.....just a thought!

If they did that I would definitly go as I have chevelle friends that go to that show every year.That would be a very smart move to have the chevelle contingent there also.
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 06:08:58 PM »
Ron,

All that happened at Carlisle was Carlisle's fault...........you have no idea of all the issues that they caused behind the scenes.  It's not easy doing what had to be done and at 59 years old, it's the last thing that I want to do.  But, I will support the ACA and the Camaro Nationals as long as I am healthy to do so.  This event needs to be there for all who are serious about restoring these cars correctly........and the good old Camaro enthusiast!  All of our staff with be there.  These are people you can depend on........and if Carlisle does not want to work with us, then that's the way it will be.  We will move on!

Here's a couple of examples for you.  Did you know that owners were paid to bring cars in the garage outside the fairgrounds???   People like myself and Larry Christensen own some of the rarest cars known to the hobby.  We don't charge anything to bring our cars there.  I brought out my 1967 Z28 NHRA National recording holding Z28 for all to see.  "THE YENKO EATER."  It's the fastest NHRA stock eliminator 302 Z28 in the world......and restored like a show car!  I am glad to bring it for all to see.  FREE!  Larry Christensen has brough THE 1969 Indy pace that paced the race.........does it all for free.  But yet others are being paid to bring in cars......and cars that don't rise to the pedigree of what our organization brings to the table.  Ken Lucas, Larry Christensen and Bob Harris restore the nicest Camaros in the world.........and they are at the ACA Camaro Nats for all to see.  I'm only touching the tip of the iceberg.  You have no idea on the issues that go on behind closed doors............

Jerry 

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 11:13:16 PM »
Jerry,As you know im restoring another car,I was looking forward to next year.I guess once I get over the announcement of the move I might change my mind because its the only time I can get away for the summer being I am takeing care of a sick parent (father). Also would like to bring the 67 rsz there.My friends have chevelles and they were considering going to carlisle next year just for a change because they have been going to the maryland show for years and it would be nice to see if the chevelle show can join up with the camaro show.I am sure I will change my mind and  go but I am kind of dissapointed about the whole situation.Gee I wish someone would pay me to take my car or cars to a show!! ::)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:47:42 PM by Ron C. »
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 11:35:32 PM »
Ron,

I know what you're feeling.  There is no place better than a Carlisle event.  The travel journey there is fun for me.  The people, the eating places and on.  I have loved it for many years.  It's a beautiful part of the country.  But with the posturing that Carlisle management has done behind the scenes, and the way that they broke up the show field is just unacceptable.  They are quick to forget that ACA and their staff (Maryland Camaro Club included) is what made this event great.  Carlisle should have thought about this before all the knit picking took place.  They will just not work with people. 

I also found that out after talking with R. Marko on the phone.  I explained that moving the Camaro field fractures the show and breaks up the continuity of our event.  You see how he changed it............he did nothing.  And this is just a very small example of the behind the scenes BS.

Jerry 

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 03:01:53 AM »
"Here's a couple of examples for you.  Did you know that owners were paid to bring cars in the garage outside the fairgrounds???   People like myself and Larry Christensen own some of the rarest cars known to the hobby.  We don't charge anything to bring our cars there.  I brought out my 1967 Z28 NHRA National recording holding Z28 for all to see.  "THE YENKO EATER."  It's the fastest NHRA stock eliminator 302 Z28 in the world......and restored like a show car!  I am glad to bring it for all to see.  FREE!  Larry Christensen has brough THE 1969 Indy pace that paced the race.........does it all for free.  But yet others are being paid to bring in cars......and cars that don't rise to the pedigree of what our organization brings to the table.  Ken Lucas, Larry Christensen and Bob Harris restore the nicest Camaros in the world.........and they are at the ACA Camaro Nats for all to see.  I'm only touching the tip of the iceberg.  You have no idea on the issues that go on behind closed doors............

Jerry  "

So far I can't find anyone that knows of anyone that was paid to bring their cars to the Solid Lifter Showroom that Supercar Workshop put together. Are facts being distorted because of a beef between parties ? All I have heard is good reviews of that showroom so how is that a bad move by Carlisle Productions ? Tony L has displayed a good portion of the cars in that room and did it on his nickel. Where is his check ? Exactly who got paid ? I don't think they charge to get in so it seems like a nice attraction to me.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 04:36:56 PM »
Charley,

I was told by people who work behind the scenes at Carlisle that some cars were being paid to display.  I do not doubt my sources.  But the bigger picture is this, it's not a game changer issue for moving the event.  There were other BIG on-going issues that have been going on long before SLS did their thing. 

To me personally, being paid does not bother me.  I always am glad to bring cars to the Nats just as you have done in the past with your '67 pace car.  I've had the Strickler Z28 car in T building, along with my '67 Z28 survivor.  Never expected a nickel.  Was glad to do it.

The whole moving thing is very hard for everyone and all in the Camaro hobby.  Since Lisa has left Carlisle Productions things in general just became more difficult for all of the staff at ACA.  The last thing I want to do is be involved with a change to this event.  Especially since we've been doing it at Carlisle since 1999.  I looked forward to this event every year and so did the staff at ACA.  The Camaro Nats grew from 250-300 cars to an average of 650-700 cars.  Our Red, White & Blue concours judging (now called Legends Certification) has been going on now since the early 1990's.  We always have more cars than we can judge each year, and have been working in Y building since the show began.

The Frederick Fairgrounds appear to be a better fit for us now and they are more than willing to work with us.   We now will have a bigger building than Y building which will make things easier moving the cars around at the event.

Hope to see you there,

Jerry 

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 07:35:03 PM »
I would like whoever made the statement to name one car owner in that building that was paid to bring his car.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 08:57:43 PM »
I'm on it!!!

Jerry

4Camaros

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 06:15:24 AM »
Jerry, thanks for the info!  We were wondering what happened!  How is the camping oppertunities at the Frederick fair grounds? 

We have an area designated for camping. It's a grassy area on the backstretch of the track. We also have permission to have campfires - with two stipulations - 1) As long as we are not in a drought situation where open fires are banned by the fire marshall, and 2) They must be contained in a firepit - such as a raised one on legs fully surrounded by screening. All ashes and embers must be fully extinguished and properly disposed of.

This was not an easy decision by the ACA. This has been their baby for the last 12 years. Karl, Rick and Bud are working with us, lending their experience and knowledge on what it takes to put on a great event. Bud is actively involved with the 2011 show as he is also a member of the MCC.

Please work with us in making this transition. We look forward to a great Camaro Nationals in June!

April Alderson, President
Maryland Camaro Club

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 01:47:10 PM »
Welcome to CRG April and good information to have/know. Just a question, why was it decided to have the event during the same time period as Carlisle? Many of us believe that is counter-productive for both events.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

anything