Author Topic: ignition system  (Read 11913 times)

sebastien

• View Profile
ignition system
« on: May 07, 2006, 11:07:55 AM »
Does anybody have any comments/experience on the" breakerless ignition convertion" that Rick's sells (ep-714)?
keep your original ditributor without the breakers.
Sebastien 68  327 rag top

CNorton

• View Profile
Re: ignition system
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 03:39:51 PM »
If the components are equal to those sold by Pertronix Corp., the conversion will be simple and effective.  No problems over a ten year period with the Pertronix.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 05:24:03 PM »
Does anybody have any comments/experience on the" breakerless ignition convertion" that Rick's sells (ep-714)?
keep your original ditributor without the breakers.

That's the "Breakerless SE" conversion manufactured by M&H Fabricators; lots of Corvette guys use it, as it only uses one black wire to the coil and thus appears stock during judging. Haven't heard of any problems with it from the Corvette users.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 03:26:39 AM »
I used the Crane XR-i HEI conversion.  It fits in your existing stock distributor.  I got it from Summit racing and it costs $64.  It was recommended I upgrade the coil as well, so I bought a black coil that looks exactly like the stock one for $30.  This was done about 2-3 years ago and still runs great.  One of the best upgrades you can do for your car.  Total cost about $100 and it was done in well under an hour, and I took the entire distributor out to do it.  But the job can be done leaving the distributor in your car.  I highly recommend this upgrade.  Here are the links to the items I used.

Steve

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=750%2D1710&searchinresults=false&N=115

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CRN%2D730%2D0020&N=4294890813+115&autoview=sku