CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 03:21:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
107472 Posts in 12503 Topics by 4810 Members
Latest Member: rustoleumm
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Mild Modifications
| | |-+  ignition system
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ignition system  (Read 3254 times)
sebastien

View Profile Email
« on: May 07, 2006, 06:07:55 AM »

Does anybody have any comments/experience on the" breakerless ignition convertion" that Rick's sells (ep-714)?
keep your original ditributor without the breakers.

Sebastien 68  327 rag top
CNorton

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 10:39:51 AM »

If the components are equal to those sold by Pertronix Corp., the conversion will be simple and effective.  No problems over a ten year period with the Pertronix.

JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 12:24:03 PM »

Does anybody have any comments/experience on the" breakerless ignition convertion" that Rick's sells (ep-714)?
keep your original ditributor without the breakers.

That's the "Breakerless SE" conversion manufactured by M&H Fabricators; lots of Corvette guys use it, as it only uses one black wire to the coil and thus appears stock during judging. Haven't heard of any problems with it from the Corvette users.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
sdkar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 10:26:39 PM »

I used the Crane XR-i HEI conversion.  It fits in your existing stock distributor.  I got it from Summit racing and it costs $64.  It was recommended I upgrade the coil as well, so I bought a black coil that looks exactly like the stock one for $30.  This was done about 2-3 years ago and still runs great.  One of the best upgrades you can do for your car.  Total cost about $100 and it was done in well under an hour, and I took the entire distributor out to do it.  But the job can be done leaving the distributor in your car.  I highly recommend this upgrade.  Here are the links to the items I used.

Steve

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=750%2D1710&searchinresults=false&N=115

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CRN%2D730%2D0020&N=4294890813+115&autoview=sku
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: