Author Topic: Old pictures of the 1969 Z/28 I owned in the late '70's  (Read 64411 times)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Re: Old pictures of the 1969 Z/28 I owned in the late '70's
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2011, 12:46:51 AM »
Hey Steve I am noticing that so far all the cars I have seen are RS cars. Are all your cars  RS. I am hoping to make it to Chicago if work does not get in the way. The black car sure is nice. Are you bringing any of your cars to Chicago?
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2011, 12:50:05 AM »
Hey Steve that photo shop pic was really cool. Here is a pic of mine same sort of idea. Nothing special. Just an old six banger slowly becoming a clone.

Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2011, 01:25:04 AM »
Hey Steve I am noticing that so far all the cars I have seen are RS cars. Are all your cars  RS. I am hoping to make it to Chicago if work does not get in the way. The black car sure is nice. Are you bringing any of your cars to Chicago?

I had thought about bringing my 15k mile white RS/SS L48, but decided not due to our judging schedule. Basically I am committed to 21-24 hrs of judging based on our entrants in the Vintage program. I thought about the white car because its original dealer was Fencl  Chevrolet in Chicago. Six of my cars have  the RS option, but I like them all. Most of the performance cars were strippers for obvious reasons and I own and like those as well.  If you attend MCACN be sure stop and say hello. Below is the white car referenced above.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2011, 03:34:27 AM »
"When I first laid eyes on the car I thought the Fiber optic monitors on the fenders were hideous".

I agree, but now it is just too cool!

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2011, 05:24:31 AM »
Beautiful car Steve. Sounds like you have some nice cars. If I make it to the show I will stop buy and say hello for sure. Keep those great pics coming. Not often we get to see such great examples of such fine and original cars. Are all your cars 69's?
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2011, 02:31:34 AM »
  Here's a couple pics. of 67 RS/SS my brother had back in early 70's (70-72).  It was pretty much all original when he got it, was the son of a Chevrolet dealer one-owner at the time. It had the Deluxe interior with console and Guages.  Power Disc front brakes, his first experience with Disc brakes, a little tricky in snow.  He ended up replacing the motor, and get this, he replaced it with a L-79 out of a '66 'Vette.  The guy was replacing the L-79 with a Big Block.  He would sure like to find this car again, hoping of course that it still has that motor.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2011, 05:01:26 AM »
Hey Mike. Looks like some kind of a different hood in the second picture or is that just a reflection? Looks like some supsension upgrades as well when he did the motor swap as the car looks to sitting higher. Any other pics? Really nice car and great color combo.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2011, 05:09:21 AM »
  Nope, no more pics., this is all he has left of that car.   That is just the stock SS Hood, maybe some reflection off the hood louvers.  Yes he did some suspension upgrades, that was "the in thing" back then, that was actually before he swapped motors.  He ran J- 70X15 Snow tires in the winter, and J-70 X 14 Mickey Thompson's in good weather.  I believe the M/T's are in the 2nd pic. on the Cragars.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

IZRSSS

« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2011, 05:03:52 PM »
The fenders were done with a stencil and each fenders stencil was two part.  You will note on orig paint cars where the stencils mated this is identified by a slight mis-alignment about 11 inched from the front of the stripe. If you look real close at the stripe you can observe tick mark sone inch apart . These marks were made by the backing used to protect the adhesive stencil, and peeled off in about one inch sections. The doors were of course a tape stripe not painted like the fenders.

Steve - I might of screwed up touching up what I thought was a paint flaw. Here are pics of the fender stripe on my car. Both fenders stripes are identical. The misalignment's measure exactly 16" from the front of the stripe, and 18 1/2" from the front of the fender. In addition, the pin stripe at or near the fender extension ends at two distinct locations. Is this what you have on your L48?

IZRSSS

« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2011, 05:04:40 PM »
...one more pic...

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2011, 04:53:01 PM »
...one more pic...

I attached a photo that shows the original early D90 striping on the fender extension. I posted the striping details several years ago on the yenko.net so I need to search there. If I recall the extended striping ended in Nov of 68.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2011, 08:34:11 PM »
A good friend of mine worked in the Chevrolet Paint Standards Department, and spent most of his time in the plants helping them solve process problems; I remember him going on at length about the issues of masking/stenciling and spraying stripes on the front sheet metal at Norwood and Van Nuys, and fighting Engineering and Styling during the '69 launch over the portion of the D90 stripe that extended onto the fender extension (remember that the fender extension wasn't attached to the fender in the Chevrolet Paint Shop - those two panels were separated by several inches on the paint buck). Having the fender extension portion of the stripe match up with the fender portion when the two panels were finally bolted together on the sheet metal line was hit-and-miss, and was a never-ending appearance issue. Styling finally caved, and the bottom of the stripe was terminated above the joint line between the two panels.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2011, 11:59:36 PM »
Having someone explain the actual process puts things in proper prospective. Until now it was difficult to understand why these two sections (fender/extension) of the D90 never lined up. Its too bad, IMO the added length is more pleasing to the eye and leaves a much more realistic AKA "Hockey Stick".

I know there is a logical explanation but I'll ask it anyway; Why wasn't the fender extension attached at the Chevrolet Paint Shop? It seems like this would have resolved the issue, at least with regards to the D90.

Thanks John!  

IZRSSS

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2011, 12:06:24 AM »
Steve -  I checked the link you gave me but could not find anything on the exact measurements of the misalignment at the front fender. And, are you absolutely certain on the date for terminating the D90 at the fender/extension seam. My car is a 12A Van Nuys build, and the D90 was duplicated exactly the way it came from the factory. For all I know it might be the same one (reason for my interest in the hick-up measurement).

Thanks again for the help!

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »
Having someone explain the actual process puts things in proper prospective. Until now it was difficult to understand why these two sections (fender/extension) of the D90 never lined up. Its too bad, IMO the added length is more pleasing to the eye and leaves a much more realistic AKA "Hockey Stick".

I know there is a logical explanation but I'll ask it anyway; Why wasn't the fender extension attached at the Chevrolet Paint Shop? It seems like this would have resolved the issue, at least with regards to the D90.

Thanks John!   

The fender and extension had to remain separated during the paint process in order to get full exposure of the raw mating flange surfaces to the hot degreasing spray, iron phosphate chemicals, flow-coat primer, and color topcoat; if the raw panels were bolted together, there would be no corrosion protection in the joint, and it would bleed rust almost immediately. The same was true of the bolted joint between the ends of the front valance panel and the inboard side of the fender extensions, and the bolted joint between the ends of the header panel and the fenders.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG