Author Topic: Old pictures of the 1969 Z/28 I owned in the late '70's  (Read 64415 times)

IZRSSS

Re: Old pictures of the 1969 Z/28 I owned in the late '70's
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 02:35:01 AM »
I am hosting this car for Doug (AKA maroman). Below is the quote he sent me...

It was about 3 weeks old, taken in front of my high school. Local car, I know all but about 2 owners. 396-325 turbo 400 on the column, custom bench seat Thanks. Doug

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2011, 02:42:01 AM »
Wow Steve that is an awesome story. Love the pictures and so cool that you tracked down your old car. Both cars are beautiful. Are you going to keep them both or sell the black one now that you have your baby back? It was hard to read how much you were asking for. Did it say 8K? Did you get that back then?

I was asking best offer over $8k, but sold it for $7,800. The black car my wife and daughter absolutely love and they have threatened me if I ever think of selling it. That car is my most stunning but my least favorite to drive.  My passion are survivor cars and I own four of them. Driving a time capsule, collecting and preserving these historically significant cars gives me the biggest thrill.

I am considering selling a survivor Rally Green Z I own, but I'm not absolutely sure at this point.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2011, 10:21:11 AM »
Thanks Marty!!
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

IZRSSS

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »
No problem Doug. Your picture must have been taken outside the school gym? Nice looking car!

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2011, 12:50:23 PM »
You don't see fiber optic on muscle cars very often...

When I first laid eyes on the car I thought the Fiber optic monitors on the fenders were hideous. I was also not endeared by the console mounted 8 track as well. Ironically I own 4 cars with console mounted 8 tracks and this one with fiber optics which differentiates my car from most.   
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2011, 11:51:30 PM »
Below is a picture of my lemans blue  RS/SS L34 with blue deluxe. It has 24 K original miles and this picture was taken around 1974. The rims were changed by the original owner within the first  6 months, however I have original rims and tires. This is a very early 9B built car . Noticed how far down the stripe extends onto the fender extension.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:10:37 AM by paceme »
Steve Shauger

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 05:54:00 AM »
Wow Steve that is an awesome story. Love the pictures and so cool that you tracked down your old car. Both cars are beautiful. Are you going to keep them both or sell the black one now that you have your baby back? It was hard to read how much you were asking for. Did it say 8K? Did you get that back then?

I was asking best offer over $8k, but sold it for $7,800. The black car my wife and daughter absolutely love and they have threatened me if I ever think of selling it. That car is my most stunning but my least favorite to drive.  My passion are survivor cars and I own four of them. Driving a time capsule, collecting and preserving these historically significant cars gives me the biggest thrill.

I am considering selling a survivor Rally Green Z I own, but I'm not absolutely sure at this point.

I am with you all the way Steve. Sure would like to see more pictures of your cars. Like they say they are only original once. Feel free to post away. I only saw the one picture of the black one. A friend of mine has a 69 RS Z 28 Survivor original paint. I love that car. He is in the process of swapping aout a few parts that were not correct and I will use his left overs for my build.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

ChevyThunder

• View Profile
    • Pro Racing
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 08:23:10 AM »
Picture from the original owner of my X33 . I guess the original Hugger Orange didn't attract enough attention.

1969 X44 COPO
1969 X33 RS Z/28

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2011, 08:49:08 AM »
I really like the Torque Thrust II's on the 72 Code. Does the 10 car have the same wheels? Going to get a set for my car.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

IZRSSS

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »
Steve - do you have a better pic of the D90 at the fender extention. I've seen this on very early 69's but never to that extent. Also, the fender portion of the D90 was painted. Do you know if a template was used or was each one individually masked off?

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »

I am with you all the way Steve. Sure would like to see more pictures of your cars. Like they say they are only original once. Feel free to post away. I only saw the one picture of the black one. A friend of mine has a 69 RS Z 28 Survivor original paint. I love that car. He is in the process of swapping aout a few parts that were not correct and I will use his left overs for my build.

[/quote]

Here are a couple pics of my black car. The white houndstooth seat covers are oriiginals. The original owner had an RV company hog ring in clear seat covers when brand new. When I restored the car I removed the seat covers and the originals were like new.
Steve Shauger

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2011, 04:02:10 PM »
I modified the picture with multi-exposures and removed the tent.
Steve Shauger

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2011, 04:10:31 PM »
I really like the Torque Thrust II's on the 72 Code. Does the 10 car have the same wheels? Going to get a set for my car.

The orange car has TTO's (Torque Thrust Originals). I plan on keeping it as a day 2 car,with headers, slapper bars and wheels. The black car has it's original rallys and repop Goodyears.
Steve Shauger

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
Steve - do you have a better pic of the D90 at the fender extention. I've seen this on very early 69's but never to that extent. Also, the fender portion of the D90 was painted. Do you know if a template was used or was each one individually masked off?

The fenders were done with a stencil and each fenders stencil was two part.  You will note on orig paint cars where the stencils mated this is identified by a slight mis-alignment about 11 inched from the front of the stripe. If you look real close at the stripe you can observe tick mark sone inch apart . These marks were made by the backing used to protect the adhesive stencil, and peeled off in about one inch sections. The doors were of course a tape stripe not painted like the fenders.

The gentlemen on the left is the original owner Gerry Nelson who I reunited with the car in 2000 at the Monmouth County Fair.
Steve Shauger

IZRSSS

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2011, 12:44:42 AM »
Thanks for the info Steve & the pics are nice. If you ever get some time please do me a favor and photograph the D90 at the fender extension (w/a measuring devise if possible). I would like to know how far beyond the seam the stripe was painted, and how it was finished off.

KIM...no hurry, you can email me if you'd like.