Author Topic: Manual to Disc Upgrade... do I affect originality?  (Read 9146 times)

nuts4coke

• View Profile
Manual to Disc Upgrade... do I affect originality?
« on: July 22, 2010, 06:50:03 PM »
I have a 67, base, with barely ANYTHING on the Trim Tag. Low option car. 327/2spd PG... yada yada and it has 4 wheel manual drum. If I go to a power disc system up front, in lieu of the manual drum system I have now, do I affect the originality if I use stock components? I can't seem to find anywhere this information would be tracked (say the Trim Tag), so once it was done, and done correctly, it wouldn't stand out as modified... would it? This is assuming use of ALL compnents that would be on a stock 67 with a power disc/drum setup.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
Re: Manual to Disc Upgrade... do I affect originality?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:15:47 PM »
Hey nuts4coke, sounds like your car is much like mine.  Pretty much standard V8 Coupe, with Tinted Windshield (only), Powerglide, P. Steering, AM Radio, and Full Wheel hubcaps.  Bolero Red with Black Standard Buckets.  What color is yours.  Personally I'm going with the P. Disc front brakes, I'm going to use a kit from Right Stuff, Jerry M. says they are very good.   
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »
On a base car:
Originality, well yes, so just be honest if you sell it.
Affected, yes, you will have improved it.
Modified, not to the extent that term generally describes.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

jonboy1216

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 03:57:42 AM »
just keep all the stock stuff for future owner .otherwise make it little safer and enjoy driving it :)

nuts4coke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 01:01:31 PM »
Well, I'm wanting to keep the car as it would have been in the showroom. Not necessarily as it rolled out of the factory. Meaning, if I do a restoration, and I change from manual drum, to power disc, and I use components that would come from a 67 camaro, as near as I can tell, it would be considered stock. I would be honest if I sell it, but honestly, I don't plan on getting rid of this baby. It was born 10C of 66, about 7 to 10 days before I was born. My fourth Camaro. I don't plan on getting rid of it...

But what I'm getting at is keeping it stock. I would like to add as much stuff to this car that I could have got as an option, but that WOULD NOT have been included on the Trim Tag. Since my car is such a low option car, I figured I'd be able to upgrade it with things that would not appear on anything other than a build sheet, etc.. but not on the cowl tag. I understand certain things required certain other things, like if I go with RPO J50, and J52, neither of which were put on the trim tag, I have to put ZJ7 Rally's on the car. Well, those would then be 14 x 5. That's the size on a 67 with disc. So, I would be in the hunt for date correct wheels with a DA code on them.

Is  all this making sense? I want a stock/Original car, but I want it with as much stuff that wouldn't be identified on the Trim Tag... I won't make it an RS, because that's on the Trim Tag... but disc brakes aren't. (and i can't figure out why). What's funny is Power brakes were a dealer installed option,b ut discs weren't. I think that's funny.)

My car, as it sits now, is a base model, with a correct cast date engine (J086), block cast of 3892657, correct engine pad stamp (V1012ME), correct cast on the heads (don't have the numbers with me, but I've looked them up), correct date on 2 speed powerglide tranny (T7R09D), and a VIN of 7N118980 (which puts it in the Norwood plant in October of 1966).

Anyway, if I build the brakes to power, disc front, drum rear, would I no longer be able to call the car original or should the word be 'stock'. Would I be reducing the cars value?

I guess my philosophy is this, and I could be wrong, so please let me know how you feel, but if there's no way to tell what EVERY option was on the car from day one, and the car has options added to it (correct to factory specs), does it change the car? I mean, who's to say this car didn't have these options from the factory?

And i'm not trying to build a car that I can turn around as a high optioned car and make money, on the contrary... I bought this car because of it's build date, and it being numbers matching... but if I'm going to do brake work (which I have to, because it needs it), why not go with a factory installed system from 67 that is disc, not drum, that is power, not manual, allowing me to 'option correct' put rally wheels on it. etc, etc...

@MyRed67 - my car is Marina Blue with Blue Interior. The previous owners bought it from the guy who restored it, but I'm having a heck of a time trying to get info about that guy from them. They lived in Tenn, they bought it in Ohio, so I'm going to try and get with the DMV in Ohio, and see if I can back-track from there with the VIN number. I would like to find out as much about the car as possible, and get any pictures I can of it, especially if they are from 66 or 67. Anyway, the guy who did the restore put Z28 stripes on her, and cragar wheels, both of which will go when I restore it. It's got a Edelbrock performer intake, carb, air cleaner, and an Accel distributor, all of which I want to get rid of, and get my hands on the stock 2 bbl intake and Rochester carb. i want original valve covers (those are edelbrock right now also)... and I think the radiator is wrong. Looks to big... the shroud doesn't go all the way to the edge on the drivers side, and the fan sits about 6 inches behind the radiator, and the four blade fan comes about an inch away from the opening of the shroud. I was under the impression that the fan should sit closer to the radiator, and the blades come VERY close to the edge of the shroud. She over heats on a hot day if you are standing still... like at a drive thru or something...

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 02:06:08 PM »
Your opening sentence in the first post sums it up: It's a base model 67. It's not even a survivor base in pristine condition. It's value is not that of a verifiable performance model. Do with it what you wish. The added options could be removed to strip it to bare if so desired. Post pics of the radiator situation so people can see what you are talking about.

nuts4coke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
I will see if I have those pics of the radiator here at work. Maybe on my phone. While she may not be a survivor, or even a performance model, she's my first 1st gen, and I didn't pay alot of money for her, it was all about owning a numbers matching October 66 car. I'm still on the look out for other 67's though, and some day I will own a 69. Hopefully a Z, but I have humble beginnings, and an even more humble bank account.... I hope I'm reading your post wrong as kind of a "looking down on your car" attitude. I could be wrong, but I only have 15k tied up in this car... and I think she's worth more, especially once I remove the bull$hit someone put on her....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:57:57 PM by nuts4coke »

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 02:51:53 PM »
You misundertood. It's not as if you are altering a build sheeted or certified performance model. You're adding bolt on factory options to a Jane for yourself which are easily reversible. And if someone wanted a bone stock bare bones model they could find one; if you decided to sell. Start messing with valuable cars and alterations become a different story altogether.

nuts4coke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 02:57:06 PM »
Roger copy.... i get it. Thanks for the clarification. I really don't want to mess with this one too much other than getting rid of the junk on it... but I had a brake line bust on me this weekend.. the one to the passenger front. i need to replace that line. I pulled open the master cylinder, and OH MY GOD it looks like coffee in there.... so now I'm planning on replacing the entire brake system.... just thought while I was at it, i would consider dumping the drums for disc, and add power, then i could get away with rally's, and the car 'could have' come from the factory that way, so I wouldn't be altering the 'stock'ness of it.... so to speak, at least that was my thinking. I wanted other input.

check this out. Notice the 'drum covers' that make it look like there's a disc in there? LOL, I did some 'photoshop' to the drivers side to see what it would look like without that cover in there, and i think it makes the wheel stand out more, so I'm getting rid of the covers, and sandblasting the drums, and then painting them.... until I get rallys... then it won't matter.

Anyway, by messing with valuable cars, I'm assuming you mean SS350's, Z28's, etc... cars 50k and up? I mean, value is a relative term. I've seen Mecum/Barret-Jackson cars go for way more than they should because someone wanted something... While i like clone or 'tribute' cars also, I'm not turning this into one. i want to be able to say 'it's stock', with the original drivetrain... but as I said, I've got brakes to deal with now.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 07:19:05 PM »
@nuts4coke,  my car is about 95% original, engine, tranny, rear-end.   I have found codes on several panels (see post on restoration here) My car had the intake and carb. changed to a newer 70's 2 bbl.(don't know why), I have found correct pieces to replace those to original.  I have verified the partial VIN. #.   I have just located the registration card for who I believe was the 2 nd. owner, should be relatively easy to track back to first owner and possibly dealer from there(wish me luck).  Car has always been registered in Illinois I believe.  I actually think I know dealer but would like to verify and authenticate it.  My plans are to upgrade the car so I can enjoy it, but keep all original parts for (future?????)   Like you I have no intention of ever selling this car, I intend to "pass it down" within the family.  I don't think I said this car was built the week of my Birthday in '66, makes it a little more special to me.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 08:33:50 PM »
@nuts4coke, forgot to mention in last post.  If you're trying to stay original, you need to replace the Drivers door mirror, thats a '68.   It should have around one, and from feedback and research I've done our "Early" '67's should have the Bowtie on the back.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 10:07:57 PM »
Just don't get rid of any parts that you take off.  Don't ask me how I know this.
68Z28

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 03:15:50 AM »
Go with the disk brakes. If you tag someone it will affect the value a lot more than the brake swap. Keep the originals in case the next owner wants them.  As for the z stripes - they don't belong, but do as you wish. Check here for more info on your radiator concerns: http://www.camaros.org/coolingsystems.shtml
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 01:24:06 PM »
I think the upgrades (all of them) will make it more desireable/sellable if not more valueable. I know you NEVER intend to sell this car but we have all said that at one time or another. The problem with adding equipment especially specifically targeting undetectable equipment is that even you may represent it for what it is the next guy might not and the third guy is preaching it as gospel. I don't believe the items you are adding would change the value significantly even if they were factory installed. The key to me is that you enjoy it, I have some high dollar Mopars and believe me you become a slave to everything being correct. I enjoy my slammers much more. My 2 cents.

nuts4coke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 01:56:29 PM »
@nuts4coke, forgot to mention in last post.  If you're trying to stay original, you need to replace the Drivers door mirror, thats a '68.   It should have around one, and from feedback and research I've done our "Early" '67's should have the Bowtie on the back.

I need to update the pics. I already replaced that mirror. It was the FIRST thing I did after owning the car about 7 days. LOL