Author Topic: How often do you wash your Camaro? And what do you use to wash it?  (Read 7592 times)

sebastien

• View Profile
Do you guys use waterless soap?What's the best way to keep corrosion away?
Sebastien 68  327 rag top

Vince

• View Profile
Re: How often do you wash your Camaro? And what do you use to wash it?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 05:19:35 PM »
I usually wash mine about twice a year.  I use a car wash soap specially formulated for washing cars if it needs it to get rid of mud or dirt splashes on it, along with of course water.  If it just has a coating of dust I just use water.  I wipe it down when using the car wash soap with a washing mitt and dry it off with a genuine chamois.  I wax it completely every 2 years with Meguiar's Gold Class wax.  This works great for me.  It was repainted in the original factory color around 20 years ago with a clear coat finish, and the paint still looks great.   

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 08:24:32 PM »
Mine has been washed about 3 times in 11 years.  I keep it covered, use a california duster, and Zaino or Mequires detail spray. 

Water = Rust
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 02:45:06 AM »
It is equally important to store your car in as low humidity as possible.
So store it dry...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

daytho1

• View Profile
    • My Camaro
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 08:47:38 PM »
Check out this link: 
http://www.detailguide.com
Now, I don't suggest washing your Camaro every week but it does give some good detailing pointers.  I'm prepping mine for a show this weekend and decided to make a MAJOR investment in some Mother's products.  Some of it is pricy but there again, you get what you pay for.  I wasn't disappointed in any of the items that I bought as they work fantastic.  Many of the items that are available on the market, while making your car look great, actually damage your vinyl, rubber, and plastic.  You're much better off buying products that are specifically made for each application rather than using a protectant or shine that may work ok for your everyday driver.  These guys know what they're doing and have years of experience in refining their products.  If you plan on keeping your Camaro looking sharp for the next 40+ years, you may want to check out their line. 
67 250, Bolero Red, N25
Check Out My Restoration Pages: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=306096&ck=

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 07:42:49 PM »
I was told by a restorer not to wash. Water sits and rusts. Most of us don't drive enough to let the car move around, drain and air dry after a wash. Lots of pockets for water to sit and create humid environments. I use a blow gun to remove dust then detail spray with micro fiber towels.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

sebastien

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 07:38:32 AM »
It's getting interresting,hopefully we'll get more replies.I mean everybody is looking after their Camaro's cleaniness!
Cheers
Sebastien 68  327 rag top

KENSTOY1969

• View Profile
    • 1969 Camaro Z/28 Rally Sport
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 10:43:58 PM »
Saw a neighbor was his car (not a Camaro) he used his electric yard blower to get the excess water out of all the crevices.  He'd blow it out, wipe it off, blow some more until there was no spray.  Not recommending just interesting.

I as well have was mine 3 times in 11 years and the last one was at least 6 years ago.