Author Topic: Fan Clutch  (Read 5575 times)

montgomg

• View Profile
Fan Clutch
« on: March 05, 2010, 04:18:55 PM »
Before I ask my question I did look up the available information on the CRG Reports on this subject and was educated somewhat.
I am looking for a fan clutch for my 69 Z28 which should be an Eaton with a CV stamping. I have located an Eaton clutch with a CH stamping presumably from an SS 69.
 Assuming the spacing from the water pump mounting surface to the fan mounting surface is the same or very close between the CV and CH clutches does anyone know the internal differences between these two clutches? Any idea if these differences would render the CH clutch non-usable for the Z28 application? Thanks.

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Clutch
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 05:14:44 PM »
According to this report, (scan down and read about fan clutches).  It was the length from the water pump mounting to the fan mounting. 

http://www.camaros.org/coolingsystems.shtml
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

montgomg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 05:45:07 PM »
Thanks, Yes I did read that section before I posted my question. The last sentence of the CRG Report seems to indicate there may be an internal difference in the clutches to account for the RPM ranges of the various engines.
My question remains does anyone know if there are internal variations and if yes could the CH clutch still be used on a Z28 which had originally a CV stamped Eaton clutch.

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 12:17:07 AM »
This is the clutch in question.  It is an Eaton, but looks similar to the one in the article labeled as a Delco, except the Delco has somethiing stamped into the metal, where the Eaton is only ink stamped.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 05:54:39 PM »
The small-block clutches were all the same dimensionally (mounting hub face to fan mounting surface), regardless of Eaton (coil thermo) or Schwitzer (flat plate thermo) manufacture; the big-block clutches were slightly shorter. Without the original drawings, I don't think anyone knows the internal calibration differences.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 02:55:47 AM »
And I don't know if there was an RPM-capability difference between the clutches...

Kurt (the author)
Kurt S
CRG

montgomg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »
Thanks to all for your input. That helps greatly.

RS_COPO_Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 06:00:52 PM »
The small-block clutches were all the same dimensionally (mounting hub face to fan mounting surface), regardless of Eaton (coil thermo) or Schwitzer (flat plate thermo) manufacture; the big-block clutches were slightly shorter. Without the original drawings, I don't think anyone knows the internal calibration differences.

The fan clutch that was on my car when I purchased it was a newer aftermarket Eaton. It is scary close to the radiator. Does anyone know of a proper length replacement I can use for now. I am just putting the engine compartment back together and want to put something mechanically/dimensionally correct in there until I can find an original. Thanks

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 12:09:39 AM »
I believe someone had a cv clutch on yenko yesterday in the parts section if you want some good pictures
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:14:56 AM by BillOhio »
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

RS_COPO_Canuck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 02:20:24 PM »
That one is a CV - I need a CZ......but thanks very much for the reply.
I have found a CZ for $750 which I'm mulling over. I need to put an aftermarket one on for now to get it running.

anything