Author Topic: Help on date coded block??  (Read 3981 times)

rua69z

• View Profile
Help on date coded block??
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:50:39 PM »
I am looking for info on what date coded block I would need for my 69Z it is an early car 1st week October of 68.
The Vin is N516195. I am somewhat confused as I have heard that 2 weeks prior to the cars build date is the norm but have seen as much as two months on cars that are legit? My transmition is original to car and it is dated P9P11 any thoughts ideas would be welcome. Thanks! Jim

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: Help on date coded block??
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »
About 2 weeks is the norm. Rare to be 2 months.
Kurt S
CRG

rua69z

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 06:41:36 PM »
Thanks

that is pretty helpful just looking to try to tie this together I guess I must be confusing myself. I understand you have a fischer body date on the trim tag and also a VIN number. but I guess I do not understand what the difference is when you are talking the assembly of the vehicle and when it was driven off the line? Is there any way to know an exact date through my VIN of 516195?

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 09:59:10 PM »
You are comparing the assembly date of the engine, as is mechanicaly stamped into the block, to the body build date shown on the Fisher Body trim tag. That means the engine assembly stamp was on average about 2 weeks before the body began assembly on a Z/28 that was produced during that time frame where your car was built. You will find some cars with dates closer and some that are farther apart because there was no "first in-first out" type inventory control. They were basicaly building components as fast as they were selling the cars at that time so there was not a lot of extra stuff laying around.

-Mark.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 12:59:13 AM »
Have you read this?

http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml

It will help fill in the blanks relative to how the car was built.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

rua69z

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 01:33:34 AM »
Thanks again John this is just what I was looking for.

I appreciate all the info from everyone I have been working on my Z for about 7 years now and have been piecing together info and disspelling myths this if only I would have found this sooner!!

thanks again guys

anything