Author Topic: Period correct engine value?  (Read 26965 times)

blownonfuel

• View Profile
Re: Period correct engine value?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2009, 03:39:57 AM »
Crank,Cam?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2009, 03:35:46 PM »

In '69, the ultimate identity as a "DZ" block was determined in the machining department, as the block was drilled for 4-bolt main caps.
John'

There were also 350 4 bolt engines in 69 so what was the difference between the 302 4 bolt main and the 350 4 bolt main?

No difference at all - the 4-bolt blocks were the same until the innards were installed to match the intended application; technically, there's no such thing as a "DZ block" - it wasn't a "DZ"-suffixed engine until it got to the end of the engine assembly line. Prior to that, it was just another 4-bolt block.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

DONCZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 01:50:45 AM »
If the original motor is gone!  The next  best option,   "In My Opinion"    is a close time frame built motor, out of a like car.  That having the correct casting numbers, and engine suffix,for that time frame.   Essentially the same  car ,built  around the same time frame.  The vin number will never match, but this is close as you can get with out commiting fraud!    (Remember ,these motors were never installed in sequence with relation to vin's)......DON
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:08:55 AM by DONCZ28 »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 04:42:33 PM »
(Remember ,these motors were never installed in sequence with relation to vin's)......DON

Just to clarify, nobody in the assembly plant paid any attention to block casting dates or engine plant-stamped assembly dates; they just yanked the correct part number engine assembly out of the shipping rack, hung it on the engine dress line, and stamped the car's VIN on it that it was going to meet up with.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 06:57:47 PM »
Having a CE warranty block in my 69 Z11, and Keeping it right where it is, I'd like to propose that a change be made from Chevrolets warranty designation CE "Chevrolet Engine" to CE "Cousin Eddie".

I also propose that during the month of December that all owners with Cousin Eddie's hidden under the hood raise a Billy Beer in acceptance of our black sheep status in the Chevrolet family. The other eleven months of the year we can all go back to ignoring they exist.

JohnZ, can I get a second on the motion   ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:24:30 PM by ccargo »
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

jonboy1216

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 11:52:23 PM »
does anyone think that a MO 302 would add just as much value to a car as the original l48? that was what i did when i found out my wifes 68rsss l48 didnt have its original born with engine.i thought if i didnt have the original then the most expensive sbc was the mo 302 to keep the cars value as high as posiible.was that the wrong way to look at the situation?

RAfbody

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 03:36:53 AM »
In my opinion in the case of the MO 302 in a RSSS car it would be more of the some of the value of the parts.  An MO 302 is worth more than an L48 in most cases but the original L48 engine would increase the value of the car more than the MO 302.
Russ

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 10:54:09 AM »
does anyone think that a MO 302 would add just as much value to a car as the original l48? that was what i did when i found out my wifes 68rsss l48 didnt have its original born with engine.i thought if i didnt have the original then the most expensive sbc was the mo 302 to keep the cars value as high as posiible.was that the wrong way to look at the situation?
The highest value was gone when the origional engine was. Now it's a 68 with the wrong motor. As stated it's presently the sum of the parts. It could be worth more to a buyer if it had an L-78 in it they needed for another car, or not. If none of this made a difference then origionality would not be desireable and demand more money.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2009, 03:32:54 PM »
I also propose that during the month of December that all owners with Cousin Eddie's hidden under the hood raise a Billy Beer in acceptance of our black sheep status in the Chevrolet family. The other eleven months of the year we can all go back to ignoring they exist.

JohnZ, can I get a second on the motion   ;D

Yup - I'll drink to that!  :-)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

NED

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2009, 03:48:25 AM »
If the original motor is gone!  The next  best option,   "In My Opinion"    is a close time frame built motor, out of a like car.  That having the correct casting numbers, and engine suffix,for that time frame.   Essentially the same  car ,built  around the same time frame.  The vin number will never match, but this is close as you can get with out commiting fraud!    (Remember ,these motors were never installed in sequence with relation to vin's)......DON
           I suppose we could take this one step further . If you replace any part on your restored car with part that was not born with the car and fail to divulge that information you are committing fraud.
Bill
67Z Bench seat
69JL8 Burnish Brown
67 camaro modified ls1,6 speed, 9 "rear