Author Topic: engine mounts  (Read 4818 times)

aussie68cam

• Dave
    • View Profile
engine mounts
« on: November 30, 2009, 11:02:29 AM »
ive just put new engine mounts from classic industries now my hooker extractors hit the pitman arm and jam on the sterring box bolt ive researched the web for dimensions and everything seems ok. when i bought the car all worked good any ideas, thanks dave

Jrschev

• View Profile
Re: engine mounts
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 02:04:35 AM »
I would get on Ebay and find a good used set. That way you will know they are correct (because GM made them) unlike most of the repro junk. Also make sure you have small block mounts for a small block and big block mounts for a big block. They are different. It wouldn't surprise me if they sent the wrong ones. The repro companies are not Camaro enthusiasts just people filling orders in a warehouse somewhere without any interest or concern for what they are doing. I see nice used ones on Ebay all the time for reasonable money.
1969 Z11 Pace Car (05A) 350/300 L48 4-Speed

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 01:54:26 PM »
If you still have the old mounts, compare them to the new mounts. Over 40 years anything could happened, including solving a clearance problem with a mount that fits, but is not correct for the application. Does the car have the original engine? I have always (since learning the hard way several times) compared new parts to old parts before installation. I have found wrong parts in the right box before. Even found used parts in the new box once.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

aussie68cam

• Dave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 06:03:12 AM »
ive done some research and it seems i have the right frame brackets for a 1968/350. is there any differance in the subframes in the first gens, my mate has a 350 4 spd 67 and his frame brackets are opposite to mine and his motor sits 20-50 mm foward. if i move my motor foward my hooker extractors will be hitting more. i cant find many people in aussie land that know much about them, is their a site full of photos that i could look at which might help me. and can we post photos in this forum and maybe someone can see what my problem is. thanks

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:28:52 PM »
http://www.camaros.org/engine.shtml#EngineMounting

That's for the stock brackets.  If yours are stock they will have these numbers on them.  The after market engine mounts vary as to how they fit the stock mounts.  I hae a 68 302 with the stock frame mounts and bought some engine mounts that look just like the original Z28 mounts from Long Island Corvette.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=5388.0
68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 11:30:54 PM »
Sorry, I got them from Paragon.  Second page of the last link.
68Z28

aussie68cam

• Dave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 11:02:57 AM »
thanks guys, went to all the links and checked my frame mounts and found these no,s 3980938 (r) 3955183 (l) lo horse brackets checked the engine mounts with some pics and seem to be the right ones, is the sub frame different with the diff years, plus why do the hooker extractors hit the steering. when i look at my mates 67/350 his mounts are different with the overhang which goes to the back of the crossmember on the 68 his are facing foward. thanks dave

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 12:31:16 PM »
I don't know if he can help you and I've never spoken with him but this man is on your dirt; his name is Steps. I assume you looked through all the pics and data on here by others?   
His e-mail address:
camaro69@xtra.co.nz

anything