Author Topic: speedometor noise, HELP!!!!  (Read 5033 times)

70lt1z28

• View Profile
speedometor noise, HELP!!!!
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:02:50 PM »
i posted last week asking about how to lube a speedo cable and the help here was great. I pulled the cable out of the housing from the top and lubed it completely.  i just buttoned it up and went for a ride.  I am still getting the same racket.  it is not one hundred % of the time  and seems to be mostly between 20 and 50 MPH. when the speedo is making noise the needle is jumping up and down, when the speedo is quiet the needle is smooth and works properly.  any ideas

thanks in advance

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: speedometor noise, HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 04:21:44 PM »
i posted last week asking about how to lube a speedo cable and the help here was great. I pulled the cable out of the housing from the top and lubed it completely.  i just buttoned it up and went for a ride.  I am still getting the same racket.  it is not one hundred % of the time  and seems to be mostly between 20 and 50 MPH. when the speedo is making noise the needle is jumping up and down, when the speedo is quiet the needle is smooth and works properly.  any ideas

thanks in advance

Sounds like the bushings for the magnet shaft are worn, and it's occasionally contacting the speed cup; time to send it out to a speedo head rebuilder.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

70lt1z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »
thanks john, any suggestions who to send it to?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 03:58:11 PM »
thanks john, any suggestions who to send it to?

I'm not familiar with the Camaro instrument restorers, but the Corvette guys like D&M Restoration in South Carolina, (800) 722-0854, www.dandmrestoration.com - most mid-60's to late 70's AC speedo heads use pretty much the same guts. Give them a call and see if they can help you.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

70lt1z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 12:11:10 AM »
thanks again

anything