Author Topic: Blower Fan to Heater Core...  (Read 4955 times)

Damon

• 69 Camaro RS
    • View Profile
    • www.damonr.com
Blower Fan to Heater Core...
« on: October 10, 2009, 10:21:06 PM »
I have been enjoying my Camaro, running good and getting it debugged before the seasonal Oregon monsoon starts (Tuesday)!  Before my 2009 chassis resto, remember this car was sitting since 92.  It was a bit chilly last week one morning so I turned on the blower fan and it made about 3 revolutions and said "see-ya".  So I thought, no big deal, I will stick a new one in.  2 days later...  What a job!  You have to remove the fender, in order to do that you have to remove the grill, in order to do that you have to remove the bumper.  Keep in mind this a an AC car.  When I finally arrived at the blower fan, I thought I would be a complete moron if at this point I dont go a little farther and do the heater core.  Did that, of course all the felt on the ducting was shot years ago.  Changed that, cables looked great, original heater core was seeping, anyway I did it all and took my time going back together.  Changed that one lower 5/8" heater hose while it was easy.  Vacuumed everything out good as well.  On the assembly side I installed new bushings in the RS headlights and arms, fixed a few broken bolts I found on the way, new headlights, etc.

Heater works great now but I have a new arsenal of questions:

My car has the fan speed selector that moves horizontal.  Starting from the left is off, low, medium, high, then off again?  Is the fan a 3 speed with an off or a 4 speed and I have no "high"?

Since its resurection I have had this weird noise that got worse as I sped up.  Disconnnected the speedo and that was it.  Can these be rebuilt, sent out, or what are the options?

Now that my headlights have all new bushings they need a little adjusting as niether side fully closes now.  Any idea where you adjust the range of motion?

Side Note.  I had a weird vibration at 1200 rpms, before or after that is was smooth.  Defective clutch fan was the culprit.

I need new door glass weatherstripping, the one on the car that the door glass is supposed to seal against when doors are closed.  Who is the best source and any tip/tricks on replacing them?

Thanks,

Damon

Damon

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: Blower Fan to Heater Core...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:17:10 PM »
You might have a bad switch.  Been a long time since I changed one but I think they have a resistor on them for high settings and they burn out or get wet and blow. Anyway that blower motor don't know the diiference if it's running on 4 speed switch  or 10 speed.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

mark x22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 03:08:33 PM »
the far right position on the fan switch has an in line fuse under the hood  i think it comes off the relay on top of the AC box . it could also be the relay . get some  speedometer  lube for the cable . take a picture of the headlight door problem .

Jrschev

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 11:47:42 PM »
the high blower speed works through a relay. The relay just connects full battery power to the fan motor. The other lower speeds are controlled be the resistor pack that is situated on top of the heater core box on the inside of the car. When you put the switch to the high posistion you are simply grounding the high blower relay. When that is done the relay contacts connect battery power to the orange fan wire.

There is typically an inline fuse that supplies the current to the high blower relay. Check that and then make sure you have power on that red wire going to the high blower relay. The high blower relay is located on the evaporator case. If you have power to the relay then you have to make sure the fan switch is grounding the relay when you select high.

If you had your hands in this area then I would suspect you pulled a wire or loosened a connection at the high blower relay. The other lower speeds will work without the high blower relay so this is probably the problem.
1969 Z11 Pace Car (05A) 350/300 L48 4-Speed

anything