Author Topic: Which is the closest 67 350 block replacement for SSRS conv?  (Read 9322 times)

cjsalzano

• View Profile
Which is the closest 67 350 block replacement for SSRS conv?
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:16:15 PM »
Hello all ---

I have a nearly all original 67 conv RS/SS. Frame off restoration about 10 years ago. One of the few parts on the car that is not original is the short block, ie heads, intake, exhaust, carb are all correct (at least I think so...) but the block is not .. its from a 74 camaro. I am having some trouble with the engine, leaking rear main, etc... so instead of fixing what I've got, I'm considering pulling the engine and finally replacing this lower 1/2 with a correct original 350 block.

So now for my questions ... not exactly sure where to start. I know this block is not very common and will likely be hard to find. I want to be sure I'm searching for the right part. I know I'll never find a 100% match, but I'm trying to understand what are the variables? Are there date codes? Is there VIN number that should match but won't?

If I understand this correctly, there are 3 numbers on the lower block
  casting number --- I need 3892657, no options here, no other will work for me
  Engine Code --- what are good parameters for my car? should the plant be the same as the car (Norwood)? or doesn't matter? Should the date be appropriate for the manufacture date of the car, ie engine date should be prior to car manufacture date?
  Partial VIN --- this will never match, because it will be out of a different car.

If I can find a 67 350 block with that casting number is that as close as I can get?  The engine code and partial VIN may never be correct ... so I should simply be happy to find a block with the correct casting number?

What do others do for this type of restoration project ... find a block with the correct casting number, built it back to original .... have the engine code and partial VIN restamped to match my car --- advertise that I have done that and call it "numbers matching" car ??

I have shown this car at many local shows ... I drive it and enjoy it --- but I have never trailered it and have never been into 100 point shows ... but at the same time, if I'm going to do this, I'd like to try to get as close as possible... why not?

thanks much!
cj

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: Which is the closest 67 350 block replacement for SSRS conv?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:41:28 PM »
Start by posting the vin here, you never know the original might be known. Also check the orphans section of this site.
Re-stamped blocks are not "numbers matching", and can be spotted by many experts. Selling it as numbers matching could lead to legal issues. Probably the best you can get is a "correct" block with a casting date reasonably close to but before your build date.

My opion for what it's worth.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

cjsalzano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 12:35:55 AM »
Ok, thanks for the feedback --- Back to my objectives... certainly not to hide the truth or create legal problems... its more simply to have a proper 67 350/295hp engine.  So, I think that means to have a block with 3892657 casting number and to find a large journal block, an "MS" block correct for the 67 SS/350 ... beyond that, not sure is important or ... maybe I have the machine shop stamp the correct numbers on it for posterity, but always intend to advertise what I've done.

So to find one with the correct casting number, and a date that is appropriate, yes is a bit better, but because the partial VIN will never be right, what's the value of finding one with an appropriate date code?  I guess if these short blocks were very easy to come by and I had a choice, then sure, lets get as close as I can, but considering there aren't that many around, I guess I feel like I need to prioritize which variables are more important ... again, it seems like getting the right 2657 MS block should be priority #1 ---- and if it happens to be an appropriate date code, then all the better ... do I seem to be on the right track?

Here is the VIN and tag info:
VIN 124677N188417

======================================
03B       E
67-12467 NOR 88402
ST  760-Z
TR  D 2L GR 3L
4P
Paint Code Y-2
=======================================

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:21:04 AM »
My personal opinion on these matters is basically, do what you think is best.  In reality if it's not the original engine, it will never be correct.  You can try to get as close as you can, but close is not enough for someone that wants a car with the original drive train.  That being said, close has to be what you would like and are comfortable with.
68Z28

67ss350camaro

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 12:08:35 PM »
You need to back up one step.  According to the info you posted, the car may not be a SS.  You need to check where the speedometer cable comes through the firewall.  The L30/M20 cars were coded with the 4P also. (http://www.camaros.org/l30m20.shtml)

Daniel
CRG
67 RS/SS 350 auto (owned since 81.)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
2012 1LS (V6 6-speed) Coupe (new work car)
My Camaro

cjsalzano

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 04:24:51 PM »
Yes ... just checked out the speedo cable, and it exits the firewall just behind the drivers side valve cover and under the wiper motor. I see the other hole in the firewall for L30 cars where speedo cable would exit (looking from inside the engine compartment) to the right of the steering column and below the brake master cylinder. I see that hole but there appears to be a plug in it or metal that was never punched out..... My car also has the single, round, passenger side traction bar..... based on my prior understand, now with the speedo cable info, reconfirms my belief that this is a true SS/350 car..... are there other things I should investigate to further reconfirm?

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 04:27:27 PM »
That speedo hole looks like it was punched and not drilled which is a good sign.
68Z28

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 08:45:40 PM »
If your car has the original Muncie in it, then that confirms it's an SS. :)
Kurt S
CRG

RS3SDL2MG

• Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 12:31:23 AM »
I like original stuff and have read this post and have a suggestion and a question ,

OK you need a 3892657 block

OK why could you not do this ,

find a 327 210 block casting number 3892657
take it to a machine shop have it line bored to accept a large journal crank
last the 327 210 have no vin stamp NEVER DID so you could put your correct vin stamp on it and VIOALA !
1967 RS 327 (210) horse C-C ermine white 732 bright blue interior RARE 4P - DELETE

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 11:07:54 PM »
last the 327 210 have no vin stamp NEVER DID so you could put your correct vin stamp on it and VIOALA !

That's not going to go over very well.
68Z28

RS3SDL2MG

• Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 11:52:39 PM »
if you mean that it will tell someone how to make a TO CORRECT LOOKING replacement 1967 350 block and I did not mean it in a bad way the poster asked how to get the best block he could get without his original block this is in my opinion the best you could do ?
1967 RS 327 (210) horse C-C ermine white 732 bright blue interior RARE 4P - DELETE

anything