Author Topic: 67 Quadrajet question...........  (Read 6667 times)

SMoon67

• View Profile
    • My online garage - restoration pics
67 Quadrajet question...........
« on: November 10, 2009, 10:02:53 AM »
I have a newly rebuilt 67 SS350 engine.  Pretty much everything on the engine is new or rebuilt, including the quadrajet.  It starts and idles nicely, the timing has been set,  but the quadrajet still needs work.  I wanted to ask those of you that have dealt with this a question before I proceed.

Though the engine starts and idles nicely it produces terrible fumes.  It doesn't smoke, but even with the back of the car by the garage door which is wide open you can't stay in the room with the car while it's running because the fumes are so bad.  There really isn't much on the outside of the carb to adjust so should I anticipate that the carb is not functioning properly and will probably need to be removed and repaired?

As I said, the carb was rebuilt but it sat for a long time until I was ready to use it.

67 RS/SS 350 4 spd Marina Blue
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover

opelitis1

• View Profile
Re: 67 Quadrajet question...........
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 12:32:38 PM »

Try'n set the carb up with a decent reading vaccum guage and get your highest HG numbers from the 2 idle mixture screws.. Bring down the idle speed accordingly..  What's your fuel pressure reading??
T.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 03:03:06 PM »
Start here, with the timing: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=5534.msg36207#msg36207

Also read this regarding the q-jet carbs: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=278.0
Pay attention to the post by John Z
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 12:49:54 PM »
SMoon67, could you get back to us with how you get your QJet a settled down to your liking.. ??   Many times people ask valid and interesting questions, and are never heard from again..
Either, they now have singed eyebrows and are in too much pain, or... ? ?
T.

SMoon67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 02:12:30 AM »
My working hours sometimes make it hard for me to get on something right away.  I will definitely post the results of my work but it might take a little while.  I appreciate the help.
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover

opelitis1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 08:36:47 PM »
Thanks SMoon.   I was onna those guys that kinda singed me eyebrows bending over with legs suspended in the air behind me over the driver's fender peering into the bowels of a Q-Jet whilst my bud pumped on the pedal holding the key on..  What a belch, eh!!
 Neither of us at the time really had an inkling of what we were doing but, having seen it done many times, figured "let's have at it, eh?"  Still remember to this day when playing with carbs..
T.

Stillwater Camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 11:33:35 PM »
I followed your picture trail and MAN that is a beautiful car  8)  I'm glad to see you kept it and are bringing it back to life.  My 67 isn't quite that bad and is a driver right now, but needs restoration.
I have a 67 GTO that was in the same shape and was just a rolling shell. I've been collecting parts to restore it and will be putting the body on a rotisserie this winter to replace the entire floor from the firewall to the bumper, including the tail panel... :o Then it will be set on the new frame I bought in OK and brought back.
Keep up the good work and get it on the road soon. Good luck with the carb adjustment.
1967 Camaro SS/RS 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1970 Chevelle SS 396

SMoon67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 03:43:53 AM »
Thanks Stillwater.  That old 67 Camaro was my very first car and I've owned it since 1975.  As you noticed it was in very bad condition when I started the restoration.  It's not as original as I'd like but I wanted to get it as "correct" as I possibly could.  The paint matches the original colors, including the black stripes and vinyl top with the black deluxe interior.  It's a genuine RS/SS small block 4 speed so I figured why not go with the original specs.  I'd hoped to have it done by now because I also have a 57 Belair to work on.  I'm pretty much working alone so it's taking a long time to finish.  Thanks for your compliments.
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover

SMoon67

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 09:14:13 PM »
Well, I said I'd get back on this.  It's been extremely hard to get much work done on the 67 but I finally got something accomplished.

I took the quadrajet to a local retired mechanic I know.  Back in the day he got some training on the Q-Jet from GM.  He said there was some tarnish and corrosion inside.  I provided him with a rebuld kit and new float when I took it to him.  He cleaned it out, used whatever he needed from the rebuild kit, used the new float, and brought it over today.  We installed it, fired it up, and he adjusted it.  Now it runs just fine.  The engine is still breaking in and he said it sounds really good.

I bought the carb about 12 years ago.  I collected parts for years in preparation for the eventual restoration.  It was completely rebuilt and looking like new but I had to leave it sit all of this time until I was ready to use it.  That obviously wasn't good but I really didn't have much choice.  The engine sounds great and now I can actually be in the garage while the car is running.  Until now I couldn't stand next to the car for more than a few minutes while it was running because the fumes were so bad, and that's with the car backed up to a 16' door.  It was really bad.

One of these days I might actually be able to drive this thing.

Thanks to all of those that were interested and tried to help.

1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover