Author Topic: Trans install question  (Read 4623 times)

SMoon67

• View Profile
    • My online garage - restoration pics
Trans install question
« on: September 20, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »
I'm still working on the 67 RS/SS I've mentioned here before.  I do most of the work by myself out in the garage, as I'm sure a lot of you do.  I've called in help when I needed two or three sets of hands, like removing the hood or installing the Muncie.  Which is what leads me to my question.

I picked up a transimission jack so that I could attempt to install the Muncie by myself this time.  It was in once but I had to remove it to address a couple of issues.  I've always done this the hard way with two of us under the car to lift it into place.  Now I'm using the jack and the trans seems to be hanging up and not going in all the way.  I don't want to break an ear on the case so I'm hesitant to crank the mounting bolts too tight but it seems like the thing just doesn't want to go that last 1/4" to 3/8" (more or less).  I've tried several ways to get it to go but it still seems to hang up.

Any suggestions or wisdom from some of you veterans that have done this many times before?  I'd sure appreciate it.

67 RS/SS 350 4 spd Marina Blue
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trans install question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 03:11:01 PM »
I use a pair of 1/2"-13 x 2-1/2" bolts with the heads cut off, rounded, and screwdriver slots cut in them to install in the top two trans bolt holes in the bellhousing; that guides the trans and input shaft squarely into position and takes the load off the clutch disc during the install. If you still have a problem, have someone step on the clutch once you have the trans almost all the way home and it'll pop right in. Then remove the studs and replace them with the trans bolts.

I also use a plastic plug on the output shaft to keep the lube in the trans while you're wrestling with it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »
great idea John

SMoon67

• View Profile
    • My online garage - restoration pics
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 10:57:35 PM »
Thanks for a great suggestion.  I was hesitant to even ask but I've never had one fight me like this.
67 RS/SS 350 4 spd Marina Blue
1988 IROC-Z Convertible
1957 Chevy Belair
1940 Chevy Cabover

Marty

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 05:14:02 AM »
I use the same set up as John and it works very well. I have an extra yoke that I use in the end of the trans. If it doesn't go all the way in, I turn the yoke while sliding the trans and it will pop in when everything lines up.

Martin
Martin Foltz
CRG Member
68 Van Nuys Camaro

L30M20

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 05:43:32 AM »
I put a longer bolt in the trans to pull it in, luckly it worked and the trans works fine.