Author Topic: Tinted glass date codes-how early?  (Read 7484 times)

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
Tinted glass date codes-how early?
« on: March 25, 2006, 01:20:15 AM »
Hi, I have a 67 RS/SS350 with tinted windows option.  My question is this: How early before the cowl tag build date should my window codes be?  My cowl tag is 01A, but my LOF glass dates november, october, september and august of 1966.  Do you think any of it is original?  Some of the glass is missing. My car also came with extra quarter windows, dated December 1966, but they are PPG glass.  Was this option so rare that the tinted glass sat on the shelves for months waiting for a car to come along the assembly line that needed them?  Thanks,  Randy

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
Re: Tinted glass date codes-how early?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 04:16:20 AM »
i wish i could have a look at my 04A 68 for you... it has the origional rear and quater glass in it. Tinted as well i remember tht my rear and my drivers side qtr are in the same month but my pass qtr is the month earlier. But i cant rememember which months they were. My car is too far away to look.. tinter glass wasnt a really really rare option.. but im glad i got 3 of the 6 origional pieces to my car
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 12:38:45 AM »
correction- my PPG quarters are december and november of 1966.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 05:16:30 AM »
I'm not sure about all cars, but the glass in my 05D 68 has both doors dated August, 1967, and both rear quarters dated January, 1968! The Windshield is no longer original so that's of no help, and the convertible top is missing the plastic window. The car has A01 (Soft-Ray tinted glass - all windows) and is a fairly late build.

Ed

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 03:22:43 PM »
My 02D '69 has all its original tinted glass, including the windshield, and it's all dated December '68 and January '69.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 04:14:35 PM »
According to the research report by Rich Fields, it seems that my PPG quarters are probably not original, but are from a Firebird.  The LOF quarters, which are still installed on the car, one is Nov. and one is Dec.   They are both from plant 10, and both are M75 Flo-Lite glass.  The LOF left vent window is Oct. from plant 6(marked 16) M55 Plate.  The LOF passenger door glass is Aug. from plant 8(blank) M55 Plate. 

While total Camaro production was fairly close for all 3 years, A01 option nearly doubled in 68 and more than tripled in 69.  IF rarity was a factor, and coupled with Ed's response, I would think that the glass is probably original. 

You people are doing great work here, there's a lot to see and learn on this site and this forum.  I'm soaking up as much as I can.   Thanks  8)