Author Topic: vin stamp on cowl 1 higher than vin tag  (Read 4779 times)

Chris442

• View Profile
vin stamp on cowl 1 higher than vin tag
« on: March 27, 2006, 07:35:09 AM »
The car is a 04C Van Nuys built '68 with a 327/210 powerglide drivetrain.  The vin ends 337794, and the sramp on the passenger side in the cowl is 8L337795.  I'm just wondering how common this is and if it would have any effect on how the car was equipped.  The car was Rallye Green with an 'SS' stripe down the side of the body; the stripe looked to be factory, as it had tape around it that looked old.  The car had a blacked out tailpan.  If the next car was to be a 396 is it possible the tailpan came that way?  The car also had a nonstock (had blue paint under it) SS hood, as well as lifting shackles and air shocks.  A 'factory black tailpan' makes a niice little story, although I doubt that is the case.

Just thought I'd see if anybody can shed more light on this or is interested in any more the details.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: vin stamp on cowl 1 higher than vin tag
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 03:51:27 PM »
We've seen other examples of this before - virtually nobody in the plant paid any attention at all to the hidden VIN numbers other than the guy who stamped them, and they were covered up by the heater blower case and the cowl vent grille on the first pass of the Trim Line and never seen again. The only VIN that mattered in the plant was the one on top of the instrument panel, which had to match the VIN printed on the broadcast copy.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything