Author Topic: Steering column swap ??  (Read 7607 times)

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Steering column swap ??
« on: November 17, 2008, 01:04:52 PM »
Has anyone swapped a newer column into their first gen? I am swapping in a fuel injection from an 87 firebird, and one of the normal steps is to disable the VATS security system. I was thinking if I swap in the newer column, I could include the security with it. Might even get a tilt unit while I'm at it. If I do this and I put my original steering wheel on the new column I don't think most people would even notice it.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Steering column swap ??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 05:12:51 PM »
In my opinion, the 'nicest' customs are the ones which use later year same manufacturer components to achieve upgraded functionaiity in a very subtle fashion..   :    but I doubt you're gonna find the right guys in CRG to answer your question, since this site is mostly (totallly?) concerned with 'originality' issues.    I suggest going to TC to ask your question..
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 01:55:11 PM »
I have installed both 2nd gen and 4th gen steering columns in a 69 Camaro.  The second gen was easy.  The only thing I had to do was grind off the firewall plate, which is tacked on with a couple of spot welds.  I then added the first gen firewall cover in place, which is bolt on.  If you can find one from a later 2nd gen, you can have your bright switch on the column as well as tilt.  The 4th gen is not as simple.  The 4th gen is longer.  Since I was upgrading to a rack and pinion, I did not have to worry about the length.  Also, I had to cut off the column bracket that holds it in place and weld on the one form a first gen.  Otherwise, it fit and looks good, with all of the advantages of the 4th gen column such as tilt, wiper motor, etc.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 05:34:40 PM »
Do you know if the VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System) software cares which gen column is used? The reason I was considering the swap is to include the VATS function on the computer form my TPI donor. Seems the easiest way would be to use the correct column.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 07:16:41 PM »
I did not hook up the VATS wiring as I was of the correct way to get it right.  I will post later if and when I learn how to or if you do, post it here.

Steve

anything