Author Topic: Tremic 5 seed install  (Read 6113 times)

edwmck

• View Profile
Tremic 5 seed install
« on: November 06, 2008, 12:24:40 AM »
Hi I am new at this !

I am going to install a Tremic 5 speed in a 68 camaro, The car originaly had a 350 small block, saganaw 4 speed.
The car now has a 496 big block, and I want to install the Tremic Trans.

Can I use the original small block trans crossmember ( moved back 2 in) ? Or do I have to find a big block crossmember ?  or do I have to us a crossmember like the classic chevy one .

I want the car to appear factory stock !

Thanks

sdkar

• View Profile
Re: Tremic 5 seed install
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 01:51:56 AM »
I have a 502 in my 69 and I installed a Keisler 5 speed tremec setup.  Their kit included the crossmember.  I am not sure if either the TH350 or TH400 will work, but it they do not, you can buy the one that will from either Keisler or Classic Chevy 5 speed. 

edwmck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
No...the kit that I got did not come with the cross member. I was not sure of the easiest way to do it.

Thanks for your reply, I will phone Keiser or classic chev

red69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 03:02:07 PM »
My son is considering the Tremec 5 speed in his small block 67. Do you have to cut any tunnnel out for this install?
  Thanks Pat

edwmck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 06:29:52 PM »
No..... I don,t think you have to cut the tunnel. You might have to cut a half moon 1 inch notch in the tunnel if you use the shifter that is supplyed with the trans.
There is a optional shifter  for about $299.00 that lowers and moves the shifter over enough so you do not have to cut at all. The Classic Chevy 5 speed web site has a lot of good info and video about the swap.

anything