CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 06:12:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
106641 Posts in 12432 Topics by 4791 Members
Latest Member: DEL
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Maintenance
| | |-+  406 small block
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 406 small block  (Read 3410 times)
nlpirr

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2006, 05:25:01 PM »

Okay..I have yet to actually id my engine to verify that I was told it is a 406 small block? I had no idea Chevy even made a 406 small block or maybe the seller is blowing smoke up my exhaust? 
Can anyone help here?  How can really identify my engine? Is there a master data base I can find that will match block id numbers?

thanks for the help..

Nick P.
lakeholme

*68-12D L30/M35*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 05:51:57 PM »

I'll let the CRG members give you the low down on decoding, but you might want to go to the decoding button on this site and start with the flollowing link:
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml

I can tell you that the 406 does exist.  The following link is an article from Chevy High Performance about a 406 build up.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0306_406/

Phillip
HNR-AACA, Senior Master
Planning 2016 Sentimental Tour, AACA (and restoring a 40 Buick Special for it)
AACA Southeastern Division Spring Meet Chair
"Charlotte AutoFair, presented by the Hornets Nest Region, AACA, is the largest and greatest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast USA."
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 11:45:30 AM »

The siamesed-bore 400 small-block was used in many Chevrolets, but was never used in a 1st-Gen Camaro; it didn't become available in full-size passenger cars until 1970. a "406" is a 400 with a .030" overbore.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
lakeholme

*68-12D L30/M35*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 06:19:47 PM »

As always, John is right.  It is not an original first generation Camaro motor.  What you have, however, is a potentially great "street racing" machine.  The great thing about a small block 406 is that it has "street manners" (torque, rpms, etc.) but it is really a racing motor (depending on how it is set up... may have 600+ hp).

What else can you tell us about it???

Here is another article about the 406: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/68999/

By the way, THE decoding book for first generation Camaros is: Chevrolet by the Numbers: The Essential Chevrolet Parts Reference, 1965-1969 Alan L. Colvin.  By what John said above (no 406 until 1970) it may not help you much on the motor, but it is a wealth of info. about the rest of your car.  There is a 1970-75 edition.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 06:27:50 PM by lakeholme » Logged

Phillip
HNR-AACA, Senior Master
Planning 2016 Sentimental Tour, AACA (and restoring a 40 Buick Special for it)
AACA Southeastern Division Spring Meet Chair
"Charlotte AutoFair, presented by the Hornets Nest Region, AACA, is the largest and greatest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast USA."
nlpirr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 12:33:18 PM »

Thanks for the info on the 406 and the "potential" in this engine. I did read several article thanks to your direction on the "406" and it seems to have been a great replacement and beef up to old 1st gen. engines on theri last legs??

more on engine, it has a ton of power it seems and I'm trying to get this engine optomized to run as smooth and efficient as possible. I put on an electronic choke on the holly carb. 4 bbl and it has a Elderbrock victor Jr. Intake manifold.

I  had it timed, and I replaced the oil. plugs, ect..  I think I really need to beef up the starter? the car runs well ( I think) and has a bit of smoke at start up that disspears. the exhaust/fumes seems a bit " strong" and the engine idles pretty well and does not bang, but I have no idea what to compare it to? in other words, is it running as it should or not?

I have a rebuild TH350,  373 geared posi, flowmaster exhausts and a 2800 stall converter.

So the big question I have is what can i do to get this engine up to par without killing the pocket book so fast??

thanks for the help again !
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: