Author Topic: 406 small block  (Read 12237 times)

nlpirr

• View Profile
406 small block
« on: February 27, 2006, 10:25:01 PM »
Okay..I have yet to actually id my engine to verify that I was told it is a 406 small block? I had no idea Chevy even made a 406 small block or maybe the seller is blowing smoke up my exhaust? 
Can anyone help here?  How can really identify my engine? Is there a master data base I can find that will match block id numbers?

thanks for the help..

Nick P.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: 406 small block
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 10:51:57 PM »
I'll let the CRG members give you the low down on decoding, but you might want to go to the decoding button on this site and start with the flollowing link:
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml

I can tell you that the 406 does exist.  The following link is an article from Chevy High Performance about a 406 build up.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0306_406/

Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 04:45:30 PM »
The siamesed-bore 400 small-block was used in many Chevrolets, but was never used in a 1st-Gen Camaro; it didn't become available in full-size passenger cars until 1970. a "406" is a 400 with a .030" overbore.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 11:19:47 PM »
As always, John is right.  It is not an original first generation Camaro motor.  What you have, however, is a potentially great "street racing" machine.  The great thing about a small block 406 is that it has "street manners" (torque, rpms, etc.) but it is really a racing motor (depending on how it is set up... may have 600+ hp).

What else can you tell us about it???

Here is another article about the 406: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/68999/

By the way, THE decoding book for first generation Camaros is: Chevrolet by the Numbers: The Essential Chevrolet Parts Reference, 1965-1969 Alan L. Colvin.  By what John said above (no 406 until 1970) it may not help you much on the motor, but it is a wealth of info. about the rest of your car.  There is a 1970-75 edition.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 11:27:50 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

nlpirr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 05:33:18 PM »
Thanks for the info on the 406 and the "potential" in this engine. I did read several article thanks to your direction on the "406" and it seems to have been a great replacement and beef up to old 1st gen. engines on theri last legs??

more on engine, it has a ton of power it seems and I'm trying to get this engine optomized to run as smooth and efficient as possible. I put on an electronic choke on the holly carb. 4 bbl and it has a Elderbrock victor Jr. Intake manifold.

I  had it timed, and I replaced the oil. plugs, ect..  I think I really need to beef up the starter? the car runs well ( I think) and has a bit of smoke at start up that disspears. the exhaust/fumes seems a bit " strong" and the engine idles pretty well and does not bang, but I have no idea what to compare it to? in other words, is it running as it should or not?

I have a rebuild TH350,  373 geared posi, flowmaster exhausts and a 2800 stall converter.

So the big question I have is what can i do to get this engine up to par without killing the pocket book so fast??

thanks for the help again !