Author Topic: SS small or big block  (Read 6193 times)

kcandc

• View Profile
SS small or big block
« on: February 11, 2006, 05:11:12 AM »
I am looking for a 67-69 Camaro to restore and would like to find a real SS. How can you tell if a car is a real SS with all the clones out there? Also how can you tell if it came with a big block or a small block. What about the RS?  I have seen so many that look good, only to find out they are clones. My 68 SS Chevelle has the proof right in the VIN #. What about Camaros?  Thanks, Karl   

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
Re: SS small or big block
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 06:46:36 AM »
I believe 68's are impossible to tell if u dont have docomentation or a POP. Even if the numbers match on the engine...it isnt solid PROOF of the origionality...the can be restamped. 67's and 69's i believe can be easier to determine by the cowl tag...not 100% sure on this...being a 68 owner i can only vouch 100% for the 68 info. Hope this helps
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 04:40:48 PM »
The only way to know for sure is to buy a car that has original factory paperwork such as a window sticker or protectoplate. Although there is repo paperwork it is quite obvious that it is not original.

Assuming a Camaro is an original SS or Z/28 based on equipment or body tag info is not wise. There are some perfectly executed clones out there. Which begs the question: If no one can tell, what's the difference?
Learning more and more about less and less...

danh3508

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 03:30:54 PM »
Karl, everyone is correct. There are fake cowl tags, paperwork, engine blocks restamped. The best you can do is become a very educated buyer. Fortunately most people do not build clones 100% correct and there are flaws. There are professionals out there you can hire who know what to look for. Dan